Golden Dawn Thoth Color Scales Study Group - Introduction

Always Wondering

Are these notes in Table 1, starting on page 67?

Because I have some questions about these, and some of those colums Crowley mentions.

But would be happy to wait, if folks are collecting materials.

AW

a_gnostic

I've just taken a quick look at the Liber 777 pdf available at hermetic.com. Unfortunately the explanatory notes to the individual columns have not been included. :(

Unless there's a more complete version available online, I'm afraid the only option is to obtain a good old fashioned paper copy. Consider it an investment. :)...
How about the library at www.golden-dawn-canada.com?

Check out the PDF Liber 777 Revised.

Zephyros

The revised version does have a section, which is very interesting, explaining the different tables. Thanks! And apparently a whole lot more. The version I had downloaded has 65 pages, this one has 170. I guess you never really know what you don't know.

I had planned to post today about the Fool, but I won't have time. Leaves me more time to read the 777 notes. :)

a_gnostic

FYI: as there seem to be at least a handful of threads so far dealing with Tarot color scales, I have begun accumulating them in an "index post" of sorts here in a Tarot Reference Resources thread. (There is also a post with links out to the two versions of Liber 777 and how to tell the difference between them.)

ravenest

That's the reason why I am trying to point you in the direction of Crowley's notes to 777. His comments on the colour scales will be of immense assistance to you in your Colour Study. ;)
It certainly helped me and besides it is very interesting reading. It helps to gain and understanding of the psycological triggers that colors produce.

ravenest

The revised version does have a section, which is very interesting, explaining the different tables. Thanks! And apparently a whole lot more. The version I had downloaded has 65 pages, this one has 170. I guess you never really know what you don't know.

I had planned to post today about the Fool, but I won't have time. Leaves me more time to read the 777 notes. :)

Have a look from p.75 onwards.

ravenest

Preluminary

It's hard to find those old color posts. I do have some material stashed somewhere from a course I did on a similar subject, when I get time I'll type it up.

One of the things we looked at in the course where the archetypal psycological divisions of color. One is primary and relates to all people (via process through the 'collective unconcious' like the associations that connect peoples in all places through all times that have never had contact with each other, e.g. a shape, circle, a cresent etc [see Joseph Campbel The Power of Myth] and certain colors) e.g. when I did this course I put a very large sheet of white paper across the blackboard, mixed some wet bright crimson paint and dipped a large brush in and splattered the paint across the paper. The class instantly reacted adversly. All people through all times ahve always had red blood, one cant help the reaction if it hits you by surprise. I put up the next sheet, wet it, and streaked a watery mid blue across the top so it bled and spread and flowed down the sheet, an audible 'Ahhhh' of relaxation and content came from the class. - water and sky.

Other colors are more localised in culture and time. They also have a history, the neolithic palette is different from there Phonecian one, the ability to be able to produce various colors grew over time.

Some have only cultural significance. eg purple or violet is considered a royal color. Since originally it was rare and hard to produce it became a color of the rich, or royalty and adourmed the robes and vestments of royalty, emperors and religious heirarcy. It has significance in Hermetic Western Qabalah for this reason but will have different association elsewhere.

Then of course there is individual programming that can come from pleasant or adverse experience. Also current associations - some people get nervous when thy see blue and white checks ;)

a_gnostic

I did find a bunch of the old color posts and added links to the post I mentioned above. Also, you might find this useful: More Color (and Other) Attributions.

In particular, are links to a complete list of Tree of Life colors and and what appears to be a navigable, cross-linked rendering of much information from Liber 777.

Richard

I suspect they are a carry-over from the Golden Dawn. Crowley never claimed sole authorship of 777 because a lot of the tables come directly from the work of MacGregor Mathers (possibly supplemented by Crowley's GD mentor, Allen Bennett). Crowley merely carried on with, and expanded on, an existing work in progress.......
The terms are used in Book T in connection with the Elementals. For example, the Prince pf Wands is the Prince and Emperor of Salamanders, and the Princess of Wands is the Princess and Empress of Salamanders.