Golden Dawn Thoth Color Scales Study Group - Introduction

Grigori

For anyone who had it, the Cicero's Golden Dawn Magical Tarot and companion book is a really useful tool to understand the colors. It uses them in a very basic clear way, which assays with Harris's more creative use.

Lelandra's page is really great also http://www.lelandra.com/tarotbook/TreeofLifeColors.htm

Aeon418

For anyone who had it, the Cicero's Golden Dawn Magical Tarot and companion book is a really useful tool to understand the colors. It uses them in a very basic clear way, which assays with Harris's more creative use.

Lon DuQuette's, Tarot of Ceremonial Magick, is another deck that faithfully uses the colour scales too.

Emily

I first got interested in colour when I was using the Morgan Greer a few years ago. I found a colour chart that got mixed comments when I first posted it on here but it's still a chart I use. I don't agree with them all either but I just take on board the correspondences that feel right and forget about the ones that don't.

http://www.eaglespiritministry.com/works/colorch.htm

Zephyros

Unfortunately, I'm either stupid, or proud, but I thought this would be a simple endeavor. :)

I am currently compiling a list of the colors and what they mean, from the notes in the revised 777, which will aid me in drawing conclusions. I will post the list tomorrow and then hopefully, unless this is my own hubris talking again, we will be able to get down to the specific cards. I feel I must do this for myself, as several colors have several different attributions, haphazardly spread across both the tables and the notes, so for the sake of my own sanity, I'll order my own notes a little, and then post them.

This isn't a boring process, far from it, and I hope the results won't be either, but it is time consuming, especially as there is little time to consume at the moment (work, life, and a small war).

Always Wondering

closrapexa said:
This isn't a boring process, far from it, and I hope the results won't be either, but it is time consuming, especially as there is little time to consume at the moment (work, life, and a small war).
I haven’t caught the news yet this morning, but I hope times are more quiet for you now.
I do look forward to going through the cards, once I understand what Crowley is getting at.

Aeon418 said:
Go for it!

Thanks. I guess I will. ;)

Table One
Column XV The King Scale of Color page 67 book : 75 pdf

The four scales of colours (Columns XV.XVIII) are attributed to the
four letters of Tetragrammaton. The King Scale represents the root of
colour; that is, a relation is asserted between the essential significance
of colour in the Atziluthic world, and that of the path understood as well
as possible, in the light especially of Columns II, VI and XIV. But the
King Sclae represents an essence of equal depth with the columns
mentioned. It is an attribution of the same order as they; i.e. it is a
primary expression of the essential ideas.

So that is all well and fine, “essence of equal depth with the colums mentioned” is a little tricky, I can only imagine it reaches down to Malkuth?

Column VI. The Heavens of Assiah page 55 book : 66 pdf
This column gives the names of the astral or apparent phenomena
corresponding to Column II. It must be understood that in speaking of
the sphere of a planet the astrological attribution is a minor quasiaccidental
and not necessarily reliable function. It depends on
astrological theories.
So far so good, kind of explains one of his reasons for relying mostly on Qabalah. Which makes total sense now that I read it.

By .Tzedeq. we should understand any function
of a phenomenon which partakes of the nature of Jupiter. At the same
time the Heavens of Assiah do not refer directly to pure number but
indirectly through the astrological and cosmographical conventions.

Huh? :confused:

8. Violet-purple. Should this not be lavender? Meditate.
What do you all make of this?

AW

ravenest

I first got interested in colour when I was using the Morgan Greer a few years ago. I found a colour chart that got mixed comments when I first posted it on here but it's still a chart I use. I don't agree with them all either but I just take on board the correspondences that feel right and forget about the ones that don't.

http://www.eaglespiritministry.com/works/colorch.htm

Mixed comments probably relate to the fact that in this particular forum (Thoth Tarot) the underlying philosophy is Thelemic. Some people are 'natural thelemites' some are progressing towards and learning about that viewpoint; coming to comprehension while adjusting their previous outlook and others are being introduced to those philosophies and viewpoints for the first time (and within this some may be flexible in adjusting their philosophies and points of view and others quiet rigid in maintaining their original 'magical view of the Universe').

This is briefly outlined in my post #18 above.

For example; look at eaglespiritministries attributions to the 'color' black. Personaly (i.e. IMO) I find that rather amusing. Being a Thelemite and considering my natal tendancies (so many aspects 'coming out of' Neptune and other related configurations) I virtually crave dissolution, and long for the embrace of Nuit. Hence, black, to me has totally different connections; the beautiful night sky, my relationships with 'black' people, the effects on the other senses when visible light is removed, etc. Black is absorbtion of all light and signifies the quality of being open to, recieving and absorbing light. That is one reason why black robes are used in some ceremonies and rituals and white robes in others.

In a way, one could compare one's attitudes and feelings about black (mine above compared to eaglespiritministries) to the Devil Tarot card ( Rider-Waite compared to Thoth). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Although varities of concepts of color correspondancies are insightful and interesting as an adjunct to comprehending various cultural and individual outlooks, a Thelemic concept ( relating to interpretations of Tarot, color correspondances and western hermetic qubalah), - again IMO - needs to focus on those philosophical and spiritual concepts and 'magical view of the Universe' that are relevant to Thelema.

Otherwise it all gets a bit confusing and muddled. Thats why, for this project, the reference material is as outlined as above ie. based on Thoth tarot, Thelema and 777 and appendix.

ravenest

Quote:
By .Tzedeq. we should understand any function
of a phenomenon which partakes of the nature of Jupiter. At the same
time the Heavens of Assiah do not refer directly to pure number but
indirectly through the astrological and cosmographical conventions.

Huh?

Hmmm ... which bit does the 'Huh?' relate to :) ... all of it?
The first sentance seems to relate to the general theory of correspondances. Tzedeq is one way of describing a 'general energy field' and any other 'thing' that relates to or is in harmony with that energy field. A qabalist will use Tzedeq as a primary defining term to describe that field, an astrology might use Jupiter, a Thoth tarot student might use The Wheel of Fortune. In Hermetic studies we are trying to comprehend a remenant of the way human thought used to work (and still does in many cases outside the modern 'western' mind set, i.e. everything is related within fields of resonance and each thing is not seperated from another).

E.g. in (more) recent terminology relating to Cultural anthropological studies of Australian Aboriginals they have virtually incomprehensible (to 'us') terms of; the real, the really real and the really really real. (e.g. My firend Lewis, he's really a ring-tail possum - a 'Gurran'. My rational 'western' brain tells me, no he's not, he really really is a man. But on the most important level (relating to his whole culture and environment) he really, really really is [ :) ] a 'Gurran Yalladuhrah' ( Man with ring-tailed possom dreaming), that means his social rights and responsibilities, his hunting rights, his area of land, those animals, potential wives and relationships, times of day, that group of stars up there (and what time of year they are in which position and what planets move through them, etc et). make up the holistic pupose and meaning of the man. There is no real differenace between the man, the animal, the stars etc.

Perhaps, in our current context the use of the words Jupiter and Tzadeq are a bit misleading. Maybe we could say key 14. or key 22, and realise that everything in that field is 'any function or phenomena' . But we do need a reference point. Crowley, above, chose Jupiter.

When I learnt my 777 correspondences (for an exam) I thought, how the hell am I going to learn all that? I did it by using my most familiar subject, tarot and cross-related everything back to a card. An astrologer might use the planets, signs and elements, and so on.

.... I have to go to a meeting, I will post later about violet - purple , that is an intersting one.

ravenest

Quote:
8. Violet-purple. Should this not be lavender? Meditate.

What do you all make of this?

Lavender should be a primary expression of violet-purple ? Not sure what he meant there.

Its a big meditation and includes many things previously discussed. AC's particular slant (conditioning) or a valid hermetic hypothesis? Depends on the results of his (or yours) meditations, I guess.

Without even considering what violet-purple looks like, or lavender ... back to the color charts and ideas about naming colors (I'll post on that soon). 'Your' lavender might not be 'my' lavender.
(Hence artistic license and modualting tonal qualities.)

Color charts are useful as term of reference for exercises like this thead. But where they the charts originally used?
Is violet-purple or lavender on the windsor newton color chart? Maybe the GD or whoever mixed it from the windsor newton paints, if thats what they used.

Mixing paints. Now theres another interesting post!

Maybe the GD got into an argument about it and said "All right you guys, the standard is the windsor and newton color chart!" :)

The 'most accurate' chart I encountered had a qualifier at the end - words to the effect that color changes day to day due to cloud and atmospheric events, throughout the year due to angular variation of the sun and in location due to latitude.

[see the coments on crimson which version of is best viewed (apparently) at noon as it gushes from a bulls throat at the end of a bulfight in Spain ;) ]