The Book of The Law Study Group 3.59

Always Wondering

Loosely. . .

3+5+9= 17

3x59= 117

The 17th path Zain,(disposing-to place apart) which Crowley calls the masculine unity, A.V.Y. (1+6+10)

The Fool, The Heirophant and The Hermit.

I find references to masculine unity, but no explanations. And Virgo is Feminine. Hmmmmm.

AW

Grigori

3+5+9= 17
The 17th path Zain,(disposing-to place apart) which Crowley calls the masculine unity, A.V.Y. (1+6+10)

Ah that is interesting. 17 Zain, The Lovers, Crowley said more properly called The Brothers. This fits nicely with that dichotomy of The Lovers, the union (fraternity?) and the division of Zain (the sword). Fighting as brothers. Fighting as lovers. Any 'Supernatural' fans in the house? :laugh:

Always Wondering

Thanks Grigori.

I had some thoughts I was going to post on The Lovers and was working on brethern. But our house flooded and though my books are safe and dry, I am evacuated away from them and might be for a while.

AW

Aeon418

In his own commentary Crowley seemed to focus on the combative, fighting aspect of this verse. But I think it's also equally possible to interpret this verse as a kind of brotherly unity. Solidarity and comradeship among Thelemites.
Maybe it's that Gemini influence working. ;)

The verse number, 59, is the numeric value of the word, AChIM - Brethren. That ties in nicely with this verse. Also the structure of this verse is highly suggestive too. 4 words, 17 letters. Of course this is pure speculation but I see a possible connection with Atu's IV and XVII. The Keen, the Proud, the Royal, and the Lofty of the previous verse are all sovereign individuals with decidedly Emperor like qualities. But we are told they are brothers. Perhaps that's because they all share the same mother - Atu XVII The Star - Nuit. Despite all the seeming uniqueness and diversity among Thelemites (and indeed all Stars), there is still a common bond that unites us all.

There's a curious thing about this verse that may be no more than coincidence, but....
3:59 taken as a straight number is 359 That is the numerical value of the Hebrew, ShTN - Satan. The verse itself says "fight ye." Ye transliterated into Hebrew is YH, which has the value of 15. Atu XV The Devil? }) Perhaps a particular aspect of that card is being pointed to here. In the Hebrew scriptures the Satan is the adversary that tests and trys the faithful. But as Paul Foster Case rightly points out:
PFC said:
The Holy Guardian Angel makes all the tests and trials which lead us along the path of attainment.
(Incidentally he also points out that XV reduces to VI The Lovers.)
Verse 204. Maybe those found worthy are truely TzDIQ(204) - the Righteous.

Aeon418

III x 59 = 177. I don't see anything particularly significant about this number. Although it does reduce to 15 and once more down to 6. The Devil and the Lovers/Brothers again?

1+7+7 = 15

1+5 = 6

Crowley's commentary hints at a possible magical meaning to this verse that revolves around legends of an elder brother murdering the younger. Set & Osiris, Cain & Abel, Esau & Jacob. (Although the latter is more of a split and reconciliation.) This symbolises the Silent Self within that must slay the conscious self and raise it up again. Solve et coagula. IAO.

A possible numerical connection here via the verse total, 204, maybe DM NQI(204) - Innocent blood. In the Book of Thoth (p.80-81) Crowley talks about a different version of the Lovers card that depicts the story of Cain and Abel. Curiously if we shed the blood from the phrase DM NQI we are left with an anagram of Cain. NQI rearranged spells QIN, Cain. It is also interesting to note that Crowley says Cain holds the Hammer of Thor which links to the Fylfat Cross/Swastika also known as the Hermetic Cross of 17 squares. 17 = IAO (spelt Yod, Aleph, Vau). Obscure but interesting. :)

I wonder if this verse is meant to symbolise Mjölnir through 17 letters and 4 words (arms)?