Off-Centre: "XIV"

Fulgour

Speaking of Anomalies

Peredur said:
Kind of makes you wonder.
An old time typographical convention was the use of
a period after a headline (especially in newspapers).
It's just how it was done then. We see these periods
on all of Pam's cards except:

The High Priestess
The Hierophant
and
King of Wands
Queen of Pentacles

These are the versions on the more faithful editions,
and so may not appear so on all PCS Tarot decks.

;)~ gasp!

Lee

I think it might also be reasonable to assume that such observations are in the eye of the beholder (although no less valuable for that). We should remember that PCS executed the cards quickly, and for very little remuneration. It's probably fair to assume that this project was not considered by her at the time to be the most important work of her life (although it's certainly turned out to be, posthumously), and I think it's unlikely that she took the time and effort to map out an esoteric significance for every single line on every single card.

-- Lee

Fulgour

A Whiter Shade of Pale

She said there is no reason
And the truth is plain to see
But I wandered through my playing cards
And would not let her be

One of sixteen vestal virgins
Who were leaving for the coast
And although my eyes were open
They might just as well've been closed

Lee

Sorry, Fulgour, your post is too obscure for me. I hope you'll clarify your intent so I'll know what you're getting at. :)

-- Lee

Fulgour

the important thing is... living!

Lee said:
It's probably fair to assume that this project was not considered by her at the time to be the most important work of her life (although it's certainly turned out to be, posthumously)...
The song, A Whiter Shade of Pale, is very poetic and beautiful.
I thought it added a nice touch, unassuming but with a life of its
own. Otherwise, like the song ~ no reason, and yet plain to see...

firemaiden

I think, but am not sure, that perhaps Fulgour is making the point that a work of art need not consciously have been planned in every detail, to warrant attention being paid to each tiny detail.

Lee

Thanks, firemaiden! If that is indeed Fulgour's point, it would contradict some of Fulgour's earlier posts in this thread, such as the following:

"The V of XIV is, over the Triangle is, over the two split toes;
as I am sure Miss Pamela Colman Smith skillfully intended."

Mind you, I think people should feel free to explore and embrace whatever arises when looking at a tarot card, in fact I think that's one of the main reasons to look at a tarot card to begin with. But when we start assuming that our own discoveries and observations were intended by the artist, then we run the risk of self-aggrandizement, in other words insisting to others that our own interpretations are the "right" ones because they must have been intended by the artist.

-- Lee

Fulgour

Lee said:
Thanks, firemaiden! If that is indeed Fulgour's point, it would contradict some of Fulgour's earlier posts in this thread, such as the following:

"The V of XIV is, over the Triangle is, over the two split toes;
as I am sure Miss Pamela Colman Smith skillfully intended."

Mind you, I think people should feel free to explore and embrace whatever arises when looking at a tarot card, in fact I think that's one of the main reasons to look at a tarot card to begin with. But when we start assuming that our own discoveries and observations were intended by the artist, then we run the risk of self-aggrandizement, in other words insisting to others that our own interpretations are the "right" ones because they must have been intended by the artist.

-- Lee
Thanks for helping clarify your opinion.