King and Queen of Cups

tarobones

Rider vs. Universal Waite

I noticed that in the Universal Waite the King is looking rather insecurely off to his right. In the Rider Waite he is looking intently straight ahead! Quite a different take on the King’s face. I quote here from Joan Bunnings descriptions on these courts because they have always been so clear for me and helpful. I really appreciate your reflections, Helvetica, on these two cards. I think that at times the King and the Queen's energy is part of all of us, so it's not a matter of which is somehow better. BB, Michael
+++++++++++
(From Joan Bunning) "The personality of the King of Cups is a combination of the positive water energy of the Cups suit and the active, outward focus of a King. He is wise and understanding, with a deep knowledge of the world that comes from the heart. He is a teacher and way-shower who guides his students with loving attention. He cares about others sincerely and always responds to their needs with compassion. He heals with a gentle touch and a quiet word. He is calm and relaxed in all situations, seeming to know intuitively what is called for at any moment. Others turn to him for advice because they know he will listen attentively. There is always a peacefulness around him that others respond to. He is tolerant of all points of view and shows patience in the most trying circumstances. He gives others freedom to grow and develop in their own ways without asking anything in return.

In readings, the King of Cups asks you to take the kinds of actions he might take. For example: responding calmly in a crisis, using diplomacy rather than force, reaching out to help, or accepting a different point of view.

The personality of the Queen of Cups combines the positive water energy of the Cups suit with the inward focus of a Queen. Because she has a sweet, loving and sensitive nature, the Queen of Cups has a kind word for everyone and never reacts with anger or impatience. There is a gentleness about her that soothes and calms. Compassion is her watchword. Her reactions to the world are guided by her feelings. In all matters, she lets her heart lead the way. She senses emotional currents and knows what others are experiencing without having to ask. She is never moody, but understands moods and their influence. She trusts her intuition and so is more open to knowledge that comes from within herself and beyond. She is often moved by the beauty and tragedy of life. The Queen of Cups feels deeply and has a reverence for all aspects of God's creation. Her love includes and embraces everyone and everything.

In readings, the Queen of Cups asks you to think and feel as she does.”
+++++++++++++++

ArcanoMáximo

Helvetica said:
And now I look at this king, whom not so long ago I dismissed as immature in his emotions. He is surrounded by a sea, but steers his throne like a ship on this ocean of emotion. He does not appear put off at all, he is not drowning - himself or others - in emotion. Emotion is his natural environment and he lives there - at ease.

Now to the queen: she stares at this elaborate cup of hers. Dramatic cup. Might she perhaps be a drama queen, whose emotions she thinks more important than anyone else's, more dramatic? A clingy lover or mother, who builds up her feelings and puts them on a pedestal? I look at her, and see the shadow next to the light we so often associate with her. She stares at her cup, but does not go too close to the shore - where true emotion, not elaborate fantasy, is swirling around.

Just a thought.

Wow! Helvetica,totally eloquent! If the king "fished the fish" possibly indicates that he controls the emotions, more than killing them. Perhaps the cup modified of the queen indicate exactly that, she enlarges the things beyond the normal thing. Although possibly all have to do with the context at the bottom, because I already have observed in my readings also that the king can be since repressing emotions too much untill exploit later when less expected. But for sure I'll handle your original interpretation in my readings. Thanks!
AM*

wizzle

Different but equal

I'm of the different but equal school of thought about the kings and queens in general. Kings promote, Queens receive. One is active, one is passive. Does this make one or the other "better"? Is a wand "better" than a cup?