• No, never

Votes: 131 33.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 115 29.3%
  • Not yet (still learning)

Votes: 44 11.2%

• Total voters

wavebreaker

Ok, here's another try, due to some bug in the system the original thread was deleted... ;)

So the question was: do you use reversals?

My own answer was that I didn't use them when I started using the tarot, because I found it too complicated while I still had to learn all the card, position and spread meanings.
I've tried using them several times, but somehow they don't "work" for me, so for now I've decided not to use them.

What about you?

Some really interesting opinions were posted in the original thread, please post them again! :)

Moongold

I am still quite new, having only studied Tarot since June. I sought advice here at the beginning. Getting a lot of reversals at the time, I couldn't very well avoid them, but I came to understand them a little and think they do enhance the readings. Some are quite positive, especially in the Swords (4SW rx).

I decide to use them essentially because people said it was good to do so and I thought I might as well learn them now as later. I'm glad that I did.

I only use them with my Rider Wait, Morgan Greer and Witches Tarots. The creatos of the Mythic Tarot advise not to use them, so I respect that with their deck. It doesn't seem practicable with the Oshe Zen Tarot as well.

It takes a lot of learning, which is hard on the memory, but I'm getting there.

Moongold

SherryZoned

I don't use reversals right now because i am using the Mythic Deck..When I did use reversals..I felt more closed in...I think I will stick to not using reversals..Sometimes I do "feel" like it should be reversed..

amyel

I started reading tarot using the Mythic deck and now that I use other decks to read with, too, I still don't use reversals.

I think that most cards have their positive and negative aspects. I think that whether the card is "good" or "bad" in reading depends more on its position in the spread and the querents' reaction/response to it. For example, a commitment-phobe is not going to appreciate the 10 Cups! An emotional person may be distressed by a reading full of wands.....you get the point.

So, I don't use them.

Fiona Blackwolf

I uses them sometimes. I don't use them during my dailies and other than that it depends on the reading. Mostly i see them as extremes of the card rather than opposites to the card. I do have some trouble reading the reversals on some cards as I am still learning.

VGimlet

I've always used them, because that's the way I learned in the beginning.
However, I have a few decks that I don't use reversals with now, although they aren't my primary reading decks.

I think it would be easier to learn tarot if you didn't begin with them, and added them later if you wanted. Of course, just as everything else, I think it's up to the individual.

Maan

I don't use them

DarkElectric

I use them sometimes. I know that sounds odd, but this is my explanation. Before I shuffle the deck, I go through it and turn all the cards right side up. then I shuffle a while. I then proceed to turn the cards face down, and lay them out in a spiral of 11 cards.
I use this as a method of shuffling them, so they are guaranteed to be in random order, especially if I am doing a few readings at a time. I will choose a card in this sequence of shuffle, and turn it SPECIFICALLY upside down. Usually on a 3,5,7,9,or 11 card.
I only do this with three or at the most, five cards. When they're all out, I pick up piles at random, and reestablish the deck. Then I do the regular shuffle thing some more.
When I do the reading, if any reversed cards come out, I usually view them as a situation that's already passed, or an old issue which may still be lingering around, or the energy of the particular card in the inchoate, unmanifested state. Sometimes, it indicates, to me, that the energy is blocked.

emily2otters

i always use reversals with tarot, but never with other oracle decks.

one exception: i did a reading for my friend's wedding shower, and chose not to use reversals. i pulled in both positive and negative aspects of each card (i read as if they were all upright _and_ reversed, in a sense), but i wanted the cards themselves to look inviting to her. few things are more upsetting than the lovers upsidedown at your wedding shower...

like lots of others, i didn't use reversals at all when i was learning. i can't remember when i switched over, but i didn't really get the hang of it until i read mary greer's "complete book of tarot reversals". i love how she gives us permission to just make it up as we go. :)