colours of the scales

yogiman

The Queen scale represents the level of Briah. In one sense it's the qabalistic level of Unity in contradiction. Contradictory opposites forming the Whole.
You would rather expect this for the prince scale, as he is the son of the two genders.

What I could imagine is that Briah is the universal matrix, with an eyewink to Binah, which is about order.

Still, I find it unfortunate that the colors of the other scales seem so arbitrary.

Zephyros

Still, I find it unfortunate that the colors of the other scales seem so arbitrary.

Again that word, "arbitrary" and again you're not using it correctly. The fact that you cannot readily ascertain a system, or even if there isn't one, does not automatically mean it is arbitrary. Suggesting a rule, and then finding it does not fit also does not mean it is arbitrary, only that your original thesis was flawed.

There are many different reasons why the color scales are what they are, color theory being only one of many. Some of the colors may have been arrived at through meditation or astral projection (quoting DuQuette) and so cannot fit the 1+1 rule. While the Golden Dawn has a reputation for being mathematically precise (or trying to be) it was still an order dedicated to magick, and so recognized the need for departure from pure intellectual concerns. Some colors come from other sources like Kabbalistic tradition (the red of Mars, for example). Still other colors come from other sources, maybe even Eastern influences. Needless to say, there is a reason for all of it.

I can tell you one thing about study of the occult, however, and it is very simple: I am never, ever wrong. How is that possible, you ask? Do I know everything? I don't know everything, or even very much. However, I never become a slave to any one theory. I posit question after question, theory after theory and from that multitude I uncover a certain truth. From another point of view, I am always wrong, and revel in it, roll around in my mistakes and rub all over them. Do yourself a favor, and I do mean this nicely, forget the word "arbitrary." It does not serve you.

In addition, the Thoth is the wrong deck to study color scales. I tried once and failed miserably. Harris did some insane things there, using appropriate colors from all over the scales, mixing them to form new colors thus resulting in each card having hundreds of colors, all correct. Even if there was no other evidence, the Thoth's colors alone reveal Harris's genius, and shows it to be just as wild as Crowley's. Looking at her colors even in a cursory fashion is disturbing, and like I said, insane.

ravenest

Two things …

1. Some magical non-arbitrary ‘reasons ‘ for the colours are in an appendix to 777 and worth reading; start page 93 (of course ;) ) http://www.golden-dawn-canada.com/pdf/liber 777 revised.pdf

E.g. “ … The planetary colours are connected chiefly with the sacred metals
as observed clairvoyantly, or considered in respect of their astrological
and alchemical character. Mercury is purple suggesting the iridescence
of quicksilver and the blue of Mercury vapour. Luna is silver, the
apparent colour of the Moon in the sky, and of the metal to which she is
attributed. Venus is sky-blue; this is possibly a reference to copper
sulphate, an important salt in alchemy; but principally because sky-blue
naturally suggests the more frivolous aspects of love. The blue of
Jupiter refers to the blue of the sky, his dominion, and to the appropriate
colour of religious aspiration. Mars is red on account of the colour of
rust, and of the use of iron in executing the pure will; whether by sword,
spear or machine. Sol is yellow, the apparent colour of the sun, and of
the metal gold. Saturn is black with reference to Binah, the sphere of
Saturn, to the Night of Pan (see Liber 418 in Equinox I, 5), to the
blackness of oblivion (Saturn being Time), and to the blackness of the
Tamoguna, Saturn representing the inactivity of old age.”

And

“COLUMN XVI: THE QUEEN SCALE
This scale represents the first positive appearance of colour: as the King
Scale is transparent, the Queen is reflected. (Spectra.)” ….
1-3. In this scale, therefore, we read the appearance of the 32 paths
as they are found in Nature.”

“COLUMN XVII: THE EMPEROR SCALE
The scale of the Emperor is derived from the two previous scales by
simple admixture, as of colours on a palette for the most part.”

It is defiantly worth a read.

2. As an ‘artistic type’ and a person that has had real practical experience (building and constructing a temple, and magical equipment, including using colour), at times ‘artistic license’ has to enter into it. My associations ARE NOT exactly the same as 777, Mathers (Mr & Mrs), Crowley, Thoth or Frieda… everyone has VARIENT associations. Some of the colours, although technically ‘correct’ just didn’t gel … it’s also about tone and theme.

Crowley wrote (somewhere) that after a while you can walk into a temple and just know something is wrong or out of whack … ‘intuitively’ …. on examination one might find something ‘atonal’ . Personally I find some of the ‘traditional’ colour schemes garish and modified them (this of course needs to be met with balance … otherwise one ends up with a ‘personally prejudiced’ scheme - and that is trap that can extend ones imbalances instead of modify them into balance). For example … I didn’t really ‘like’ some of the stuff … but it served the purpose … but within that purpose, it had to ‘harmonise’ …. I really did not like my Goetic old school style ‘box of torment’ …. But that was the whole point … whereas the ‘sweet water’ and pleasant perfume (and their containers) were in ‘comforting harmony’ , again, that’s the point of them.

yogiman

Good post, Ravenest!