Small spread, looking for opinions

bh.spores

Puzzling spread, opinions welcome

Image of spread:
http://eagleminded.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/dscn0328.jpg?w=470&h=352

Upon performing this simple 4 card spread, I was puzzled by two of the cards. This spread is one of my favorites for daily meditation and reflection. The bottom row of three cards represents from left: Body, Mind, and Soul. The single card above represents the union of these three, and gives a little more insight into the merging of these three, it can be considered the “yoga” or “union” card.

Body- Seven of Cups (Debauch)
Mind- Ace of Swords
Soul- Five of Disks (Worry)
Union- Two of Disks (Change)

Alright, at first glance, this spread seemed to me a little confusing, and possibly unbalanced. The Mind card made sense to me, the Ace of Swords is the root of the element air and represents the intellectual part of the soul. Lon Milo DuQuette says “in the proper hands, the sword is the weapon that cuts through all the crap”. He also mentions that it invokes the divine crown of spiritual brightness. I identify with these themes strongly right now, and with the air element as a whole. This entire transitional phase is heavily rooted in air. I embrace this element right now. I think, therefore I am. Movement, free flow, unrestricted freedom.

The card for soul, Five of Disks, is always an unpleasant one to draw for me. Personally, I do have a tendency to worry, often times about things that I cannot control, this is one of my challenges in life. I read about this card from several sources and my conclusion is that this card focuses mainly on the worry of loss, material loss to be specific. Whether it be money, a job, or stability, this card is not the most comfortable. However, I also identify with this and I understand how it relates to my current situation. I am most definitely in a state of material loss, I just quit two jobs and I wont be making any money for the next 7 months. I also realize that the gain in other areas will be unimaginably immense, I will literally be rich when the experience comes to a close. I have experienced the fear and worry that comes with making a leap like this, giving up the stability for something that one can only hope will be truly rewarding, and I firmly believe that it will be. I am still reflecting on ways that this card applies to the soul, as that is where it was drawn to. This is a sign that worry has in the past been at the core for me, I have spent the last few years worrying a great deal about money and stability. The Union card (change) chimes in to say that relief is not far.

Now I arrive at my main concern with this spread: Debauch. The 7 of cups, in the body area of the spread. This card is literally gross to look at. Green slime oozes out of 7 cups, the slime is pooling, collecting, flooding. An overcast sky hangs in the background. In The Book of Thoth, Crowley states “Here lies the invariable weakness arising from lack of balance.” The card shows signs of outward overindulgence while the inner self suffers. Drunkenness, addiction, and failure show themselves in this card. The only relation i feel to this card is facilitated by the presence of the Union card, Change. The last several months of my life have definitely been an unfortunate celebration of the themes represented here, a loss of connection with the divine due to excessive drinking. It was been 46 days today since I have had any alcohol and I feel great. I have definitely experienced a change, and my decision to remove myself from my current surroundings is a reflection of that, as well as the next step.

Union. Bringing it all together. The two of disks, Change, offers a sense of relief and helps sense be made from this spread. This is a beautiful card, it depicts a serpent, coiled in the shape of the infinity symbol around two yin yangs, both of which depict 2 of the 4 elemental dignities. DuQuette says “As if to suggest the nuclei of the first dividing cells of what will soon be the material universe.” The card represents, for me, a positive change. Nature is full of beautiful chaos. There is always change happening, and we are part of it. I feel the winds of change blowing hard now and I inhale these winds and embrace them fully. I let the energy of change absorb through my lungs and rush to every end of my body. The 2 of disks also represents a spiritually profitable journey.

All in all, I understand what this spread is telling me and I embrace it. If anyone has any possible insight, or their own opinion, please feel free to share, I still have much to learn about using the Tarot as a meditation and self-exploration tool, and I would love to hear feedback from others. Thank you!

HotDiggity

I am new at this so take my interpretation for what it is worth:)

I see the 7 of cups like you have-debauch- you haven't been taking care of yourself physically, emotionally, or spiritually. You have made choices that have not paid off in one way or another. They feel good in the moment??? You do have the CHOICE, however, to make a change and maybe this is telling you to make one.

I see the 5 of pentacles as these choices have thrown you off your true path and they have left you feeling unfulfilled, perhaps spiritually(that would be something interpreted from RW though). I see this card as being lost and trying to find your way back from something. You are close to finding the solace you need, but you are still feeling like you are outside looking in.

I see the A of swords as clarity of mind. You are hearing that small voice in your head and you are ready to listen and respond. You have had an "aha" moment and you have a clear mind to implement whatever needs to be done.

The 2 of disks as the union card is telling me you that you have to find the balance within to take action. Figure out which path to take, get it together and make a plan, and then fight through the hardships that will surely pop up while headed toward your final destination. Don't let anything rock the boat comes to mind. So does NO EXCUSES if that makes sense.

Again, I'm new.
Good luck!
HD