RWS 2 Pentacles - carnival hat or what?

Cara Jackson

C'est moi - oui, je suis (oh cripes, run outa french now) moved on from Swords to Pentacles - quelle surprise! So! Anyone got any ideas on what the flippen eck that hat is supposed to be? Is it a carnival hat or some kind of medieval hat I know nothing about? Its not a court jester hat, that is for sure, nor a dunce one (thats pointed) - does it just show he is very 'mind-full' of all the things he has on the go?
Anwers, as ever, gratefully received
x Cara

Richard

I don't know what kind of hat that is, but tall hats are very practical because they are cooler and cause less perspiration. That's why chef's hats are tall. Who wants someone's sweat dripping onto the food? :(

Cara Jackson

Aha! How clever of you L Richard

Of course - his mind is on mental over-drive, hence steaming on its own, yes, he would need ventilation, wouldnt he?! Still . . . .hat's a bother, never mind x

Kuma

The Hat

There's a certain fertility-type symbolism in this card which involves that hat if you look for it.

Without wishing to be vulgar - but the hat in relation to the two pentacles below makes this a phallic symbol. I've often struggled to interpret the 2 of Pents meaningfully but in this light it makes more sense - The idea that the individual is potent and ready but has no outlet for this and must maintain that potency a little longer in order until the opportunity arises.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it :) but it makes sense to me.

Edit:

Nisaba made an insightful interpretation not long ago which might tie-in with the 'potent with no outlet' imagery in this card.......

"The Two Pentacles is an interesting one. In most decks, I associate it *not* with the arguments and great make-up sex <grinning across the forum> but more with ****that period of anticipation before anything's happened, when you have noticed someone and you ache, and every word and touch is charged, and nothing's happened yet. Enjoying the buildup. "