The Hanged Man

Lorraine1100

Can the Hanged Man come up in a reading to mean 'Hang On In There'? or does it always mean having to wait?

I have done a couple of readings for my friend regarding a relationship situation but on the last two readings the Hanged Man came up and although they are having a tough time I used my intuition to take it that time wasn't suspended, but that the cards were telling her to 'Hang on in there'.

Am I right to think this card could have a dual meaning in that respect?

RaaD

Hanged man is quite simple in relationship spread. Make a sacrifice m8. You are on a crossroad with the relationship and you are the one who has to say " I'm so so sorry " even if you are not feeling that way for the sake of the relationship itself. Or you can swallow and see whats happen.

PAMUYA

When the Hanged Man is in your reading it’s time for movement to pause. Logic and sense needs a new prospective, another look, time to shake up your beliefs. Time for sacrifice to gain new insight. An outdated wish/attitude you need to let go of. A need for a personality change, “to mellow out”, letting go of an unattainable lover, give someone else a chance. For a long term relationship be sure both of you are on the same page.

The Hanged Man: suspended between the physical and mystical world. Open yourself to new truths, other perspectives, to find solutions in order to bring change. The Hanged Man is “Action in Non Action”.

WalesWoman

I have to admit that I have read Hanged Man in relationship difficulties as to Hang In there.

For one reason or another they have created the situation they are in and now are stuck in it and there is some sacrifice or price to be paid or time to serve before anything can change, so it's a good idea to use that time to see things from another perspective, think on their own actions and learn something from it. It could be asking them to stop and really look at the situation from the others point of view, that if they are playing the blame game, they'd seriously need to reconsider and discover their own part in this, that they need to accept and own up and pay the consequences.

It's sort of a reversal of the Emperor, basically rules were broken, control is lost and now it's time to eat some humble pie and seek forgiveness.

willowfox

***The Hanged Man is also about commitment, commitment to a cause, such as learning a new subject or in this case "hanging in there" for a relationship. Its about trying to understand why things are going wrong between her and her friend, not by direct contact but by observation and contemplation.

morerain

Can the Hanged Man come up in a reading to mean 'Hang On In There'? or does it always mean having to wait?

I have done a couple of readings for my friend regarding a relationship situation but on the last two readings the Hanged Man came up and although they are having a tough time I used my intuition to take it that time wasn't suspended, but that the cards were telling her to 'Hang on in there'.

I think you can interpret he cards anyway you choose. Of course, Hanged Man can mean a lot of things. For me, there's a dualism which is seemingly contradictory "Hang in there" by "Letting Go". That is, she "might" (otherwise) want to "hang on" to the relationship by holding on, clinging to the branch by use of her hands. That is, hanging by her hands instead of her foot attached, hanging upside down, in suspension, as Rider Waite suggests. Neither free to move through the air or planted with feet in the ground. if she were to use her hands, she would be grasping on to something and holding on for dear life (like a child hanging from a monkey gym) waiting for the inevitable fall. Can't hold on forever! "Letting go" opens up the possibility of "hanging in there" - for a relationship may be possible once you truly let go (ironically). Maybe this doesn't make any sense. :?

"Hanging in there" is a suspension of a different kind that could mean "holding out", a waiting period. But eventually the rope will come loose under the weight of the "Hanged Man" or the rope will be cut down to the ground. The person will eventually be "grounded" in reality. I think, that maybe, the halo depicted around the head (the golden light) could signify the awareness or intelligence of the one "hanging on in there", in this case "hanging in suspension". It might be wise for the time being to wait. The "hanged one" seems "to know" something we do not. Only time will tell.

BTW: doesn't suspension come from the word - suspense? In this case - hanging in suspense - in anticipation of an event or outcome still unknown.

tarotcognito

I agree with morerain about the HM being a card of paradox and/or contradiction. Active passivity, or passive activity. Doing by not doing. There is both a push-and-pull feeling to this card. The HM is in suspension, in limbo, but is also observing, processing, gathering information and getting ready. "Outer passivity, inner activity," I guess would be one way to summerize how I view this card.

queenxofxwands

I also see the hanged man in this regard as saying " see the other persons point of view". Sometimes problems can persist when we are only focussed on our own view, it might be time to change your perspective. Standing on your head will do that :)

SunChariot

Certainly, a card can mean anything YOU feel it means. There is more to reading than just book meanings. Intuition plays a role too. If you look at a card and sense it means that then that is what it means. The book meanings are there to give us something to work wtih, but if you sense something else then your intuition comes first.

The cards can talk to us in unusual ways at times. It is up to us to sense when they are doing so. Just this week I have been looking for a new job. I asked the cards how I will recognize the best job for me when I see it. I got Card 18-The Moon. Now the only meaning I have for that card is romance....I personally do not have any other meanings for it.

I was like "Huh??? What does romance have to do with looking for a job??? It turned out that I had one job interview on Feb 18th and no others that day. The card was not telling me romance, as The Moon usually does for me. it was telling me the job of the 18th is the right one for me.

Not only that but an hour after I had made the appt for the inteview, BOTH my telephone and Internet went down for the next few days. So that I could not look for any other jobs and no one I had previously contacted could reach me. That was some interesting timing! My life seems to really want me to have this one. LOL

The point being, that sometimes the cards talk to us in unusual waya and it is up to use to sense and pick up on that. So yes, if you sense it means hanging on, go with that.

I have two set meanings for The Hanged Man personally. Either to just accept whatever happens, OR to see things from a new angle/in a new way (as of course things look a lot different when hanging upside down. LOL)

Babs

tarotbear

Instead of changes coming at you without pause, the Hanged Man gives you time to look at things from a new perspective while you are in 'suspension.' Perhaps you will see something in a much different way, or see things that you never saw before. Rather than just being 'stuck there' - as the Hanged Man can be - it tells you that although you cannot take an active role at the moment that you have the opportunity to see, understand, and then make decisions for when you move on.

Don't think of it as 'idle time'; think of it as 'creative thinking time.'