The Hanged Man

adeptus minor

Hanged Man

Hello everyone. Just thought I'd throw my ideas out there, I realize this is an old thread, but folks may come across it anyway...The Hanged Man represents not just suspension, but reversal as well...he is reversed from what we see as "right side up"..thus a suggestion to use 'the law of reversal'..the principal of opposite polarity..when you come to a certain point in your growth there will be much difficulty as you will be compelled by your higher self to look to the source of your insecurities..there is a basic feeling of insecurity in the human heart..The Hanged Man is completely secure. He is the picture of stability..Insecurity expresses itself because that is the area we are being stimulated to have growth. Often we must reverse our attitudes and go "in all ways contrary to the world"..seek at what makes you feel insecure and reverse those ideas..He is tied to Tav, cosmic consciousness..this is our true foundation and will not break! This awareness is the secret of his security. Reverse the emotional content of your habitual thoughts..(control by letting go, win by surrendering, move forward by standing still) When we most want to force our will ~ that is when we should release- when we most want to act, that is when we should wait - when we most want our own way, that is when we should sacrifice.

Grizabella

There's an AA saying that comes to my mind. "Let go and let God". In other words, let things happen, don't make them happen.

For instance, say that you're attracted to a certain man and you're just absolutely sure he's the one for you. He doesn't really make any move toward having a relationship with you, though. So you put your mind to it and you decide that he's more interested in blondes than brunettes, so you bleach your hair. (I'm over-simplifying) He has an interest in football, so you brush up on your knowledge of the game so you can also seem interested in football, even though you'd rather go dancing. He thinks women who wear net stockings are incredibly sexy so you start wearing net stockings. He doesn't call you every day, so you call him every day on some pretense or another. He goes to the gym when, for you, lifting a fork or running to catch the bakery before they lock the door at closing time is your idea of a workout so you join the gym he's a member of. He loves lingerie by Victoria's Secret so you start carrying around a bag with Victoria's Secret logo on it.

You get the idea there. You're trying to make him find you ravishing and very compatible with him when in reality, that's not you at all.

So in this case, you could say the Hanged Man as saying, "Just hang back here. Your man-picker is broken. Let this one pass on by and just wait for the next bus to come along."

kalistella

Can the Hanged Man come up in a reading to mean 'Hang On In There'? or does it always mean having to wait?

I have done a couple of readings for my friend regarding a relationship situation but on the last two readings the Hanged Man came up and although they are having a tough time I used my intuition to take it that time wasn't suspended, but that the cards were telling her to 'Hang on in there'.

Am I right to think this card could have a dual meaning in that respect?

Wouldn't hang on in there be Strength? Or maybe 7 Pentacles - wait, not just yet? Or a combination?

I sometimes think of Hanged Man as a pause in time for reflection while watching the world go on its merry way. I see him as frozen in time mulling things over amid the flurry of daily activity. Almost as a means of self protection.

MandMaud

I used my intuition

Surely the reader answered her own question in post #1? Lorraine, based on your personal "keyword" meaning of having to wait, your intuition interpreted for the specific case. "Hang in there" is one way of having to wait, after all. :)

Thirteen

Surely the reader answered her own question in post #1? Lorraine, based on your personal "keyword" meaning of having to wait, your intuition interpreted for the specific case. "Hang in there" is one way of having to wait, after all. :)
:D True that. I mean, is there that much of a difference between "wait" and "hang in there"? But I think what's important--and maybe missing--is that the Hanged Man's waiting isn't just "have patience." That would be 7/Pents, right? As others have said, this is a time for sacrificing some point of view and seeing things differently. Maybe from the other person's perspective.

When you do this, then the Hanged Man is no longer waiting or even "hanging in there." He is, instead, a time of quiet discovery. A time where you say, "Oh, that's different. How interesting..." And drink this new perspective in. The Hanged Man isn't suffering, and isn't wanting to right himself yet. He is in the middle of freeing himself from something (this is why he's sometimes pictured with coins falling out of his pockets) and absorbing something different. He may be passive, but he's in the middle of a process all the same. He's not in a waiting room glancing with irritation at the clock ;)

MandMaud

:D True that. I mean, is there that much of a difference between "wait" and "hang in there"? But I think what's important--and maybe missing--is that the Hanged Man's waiting isn't just "have patience." That would be 7/Pents, right? As others have said, this is a time for sacrificing some point of view and seeing things differently. Maybe from the other person's perspective.

When you do this, then the Hanged Man is no longer waiting or even "hanging in there." He is, instead, a time of quiet discovery. A time where you say, "Oh, that's different. How interesting..." And drink this new perspective in. The Hanged Man isn't suffering, and isn't wanting to right himself yet. He is in the middle of freeing himself from something (this is why he's sometimes pictured with coins falling out of his pockets) and absorbing something different. He may be passive, but he's in the middle of a process all the same. He's not in a waiting room glancing with irritation at the clock ;)

That's a valuable deepening to the meaning(s) of the Hanged Man. :)

You have made me think harder about how I see the 7 of Pents as well as the HM. "the Hanged Man's waiting isn't just "have patience." That would be 7/Pents, right? " I find that actually, I see the 7 of Pents as waiting to find out whether we're on the right track, and the Hanged Man as waiting in the peaceful belief that we are on the right track. (Which may be mistaken, but that's for a different card, or a future reading.) The HM being a kind of "I can't see how it can work, but I can trust that the universe has got my back."