Samhain DOB 2016 - possible design, thoughts?

Holly doll

I'm so glad I saw this thread - I was just about to email & ask when the next deck was coming :D

The borderless looks great & the brown keeps the signature "aged" look, I love the blue which really makes the figures pop & their colours stand out. I'm in agreement with the other posters - a little more orange would still convey the blood moon & give the craters a little more emphasis. Have you thought about slightly differing shades of orange to convey the creeping of the orange shadow across the moon...?

reall

oh man this one is giving me fits. The moon was just getting ridiculous. I also tried substituting various halloween type images into the backs with different ones on each card and that was definitely way too busy overall.

Minus the fact that I haven't narrowed down the font, I thought this looks a lot cleaner but it's not much into "Samhain theme" other than that it's dark and brownish...I mean, for ME that works & I'd read with that, probably moreso than with a cluttered up deck. I can always do something Samhain for the backs to compliment it.

Too dark? I thought it made the images *pop* more.....
like this!XD :)

reall

3 of them with the deep purplish blue sky & blood moon. Maybe it needs to be aged more. Maybe it still looks like a big tomato.

looks much better in spread!^^ lolz :))

reall

I am beyond excited to hear that another Samhain DOB is in the works!! :D :D

Some random thoughts....I like the idea of using the blood moon, but not for all 78 cards. Maybe use the blood moon for the major arcana, then choose four other moon phases for the suits (waxing and waning crescents, lunar eclipse, and regular full, silvery moon). Or maybe use the blood moon for the majors, then choose four Samhain-y symbols for the suits, like black cats, owls, ravens, and bats. (??????)

I absolutely love the idea of a borderless deck. And I prefer both the vintage paper and brown colored backgrounds because they provide that worn, aged appearance your decks are known for.

I'm excited to see what you finally decide upon!
I like idea!:)) brown autumn leafs/pumpkin colors would go best with Samhain?:)
maybe something like this http://www.perdurabo10.net/uploads/4/3/2/7/43277353/2961536_orig.jpg
gold font would be awesome and will stand out more?!XD ;)) looking forward to see how you'll pull it?!XD :))

Syeraph

I'm usually not attracted to more serious decks with a color scheme as this. So as someone who uses light and fluffy decks (my go to is the whimsical sun and moon) i actually find myself very attracted to this one because of the blood moons in the background. I really love this!

seven stars

I like the idea of using the blood moon, but not for all 78 cards. Maybe use the blood moon for the major arcana, then choose four other moon phases for the suits (waxing and waning crescents, lunar eclipse, and regular full, silvery moon). Or maybe use the blood moon for the majors, then choose four Samhain-y symbols for the suits, like black cats, owls, ravens, and bats. (??????)

I absolutely love the idea of a borderless deck. And I prefer both the vintage paper and brown colored backgrounds because they provide that worn, aged appearance your decks are known for.

I like this idea - I was just getting a little hung up because with all the bats & pumpkins & spider webs the whole deck just looked really messy. Maybe if I use the light or dark background & then on a FEW cards put the moon & the bats etc. - like, most of the cards would be simple background and the rest without any added clutter.....And I could change the images on like, the shields held by the Empress & Emperor to something Samhainish....

The borderless looks great & the brown keeps the signature "aged" look, I love the blue which really makes the figures pop & their colours stand out. I'm in agreement with the other posters - a little more orange would still convey the blood moon & give the craters a little more emphasis. Have you thought about slightly differing shades of orange to convey the creeping of the orange shadow across the moon...?

I could work with that!

I like idea!:)) brown autumn leafs/pumpkin colors would go best with Samhain?:)
maybe something like this http://www.perdurabo10.net/uploads/4/3/2/7/43277353/2961536_orig.jpg
gold font would be awesome and will stand out more?!XD ;)) looking forward to see how you'll pull it?!XD :))

Man, I wish I could do a real gold font....my printer can do gold foil but the price is astronomical so I probably won't do that.

I'm usually not attracted to more serious decks with a color scheme as this. So as someone who uses light and fluffy decks (my go to is the whimsical sun and moon) i actually find myself very attracted to this one because of the blood moons in the background. I really love this!

Well that's cool, thanks....I don't think I'll be making a light & fluffy Bastard, though....I don't want to make it a horror show by any means (they're not all going to be dripping with blood) HOWEVER - a Zombie Bastard might be FUN......ugh....I need to narrow this down, not open it up & now all I can think of are ZOMBIES......

Syeraph

I like this idea - I was just getting a little hung up because with all the bats & pumpkins & spider webs the whole deck just looked really messy. Maybe if I use the light or dark background & then on a FEW cards put the moon & the bats etc. - like, most of the cards would be simple background and the rest without any added clutter.....And I could change the images on like, the shields held by the Empress & Emperor to something Samhainish....

I could work with that!

Man, I wish I could do a real gold font....my printer can do gold foil but the price is astronomical so I probably won't do that.

Well that's cool, thanks....I don't think I'll be making a light & fluffy Bastard, though....I don't want to make it a horror show by any means (they're not all going to be dripping with blood) HOWEVER - a Zombie Bastard might be FUN......ugh....I need to narrow this down, not open it up & now all I can think of are ZOMBIES......

Lol do you think you might be inadvertently picking up on my zombie nightmare phobias. I used to have zombie nightmares quite often. Now my daughter has them lol

And no. Keep it your style. It's what makes it nice :)

Anise

now all I can think of are ZOMBIES......

Wow, I'm not a zombie fan by any stretch, but imagining a deck full of grimy undeads in stuffy classical outfits and poses is suddenly appealing.

(But not the super gross zombies, just maybe like...the people look almost normal at first, but their cheek-skin is missing or something.)