Technical Aspects of the Gothic

schuldich_sunde

For those who've had the Gothic Tarot for a long time, could you just answer a few questions about the physical aspects of the deck? Like, how sturdy are the cards? Do they wear easily? Are they easy to shuffle?

Anyone continuously use this deck and find that it has worn so much that it's almost unrecognizable? :p

So yeah, just a few q's for my personal knowledge. ^_^

Alissa

I've had the deck for about 8-9 months, which isn't long, but the deck was only released in 2002, so many folks won't be able to answer for durability beyond a few years time.

The card stock is thinner than regular Tarot cards, perhaps it's lacking a plastic coating or something, I don't know. I don't riffle-shuffle much with these (but occassionally do) because they are so thin - they warp easily if someone uses them with a heavy hand. This thin stock may be due to Monolith Graphics limited choices in card stock, when offering these for publication... both of their decks are this way (the Madame Endora and the Gothic Tarot) and both are exactly 3x5", which is not a standard size for cards either, but still works. So my guess is it was a cardstock cost and supply kinda thing.

Easy to shuffle? I have large hands for a woman, long fingers, so they're not too hard for me. They are overszied, and meant for large hands, man's hands, if that makes sense, in how they fit the palm.

It scratches, my cards already have scratches, yes. I use this deck for daily draws a few tiumes a week, and for readings, say... a few times a month. I keep the cards in a purple bag between uses to keep them protected, and handy. They've held up ok so far, but I do treat them a bit more gently since they're so thin.

Umbrae

The cards are on thick stock (which makes them difficult to shuffle).

They have little or no ‘coating’ which along with the shuffling issues, help cause wear.

If the decks were on thinner stock and had an actual coating – they would have a longer lifespan.

But I still love the deck – and when it wears out – I’ll get a new one.

Alissa

Oh you reminded me, U... I forgot to add... there is always a chance that the deck won't be reprinted for another run. If one is truly keen on preserving a deck, I suggest buying 2 while available now... one for use and one for keeps.

Umbrae

Interesting…I had my deck before Alissa got hers (I know this cuz I turned her onto them and she had to get them after that fateful day in Nuevo Mexico…).

How thick is thick? My deck of well used 78 cards measures 3.35 cm thick.

So if mine are thick and hers are thin, sounds like they had two different printing runs…

But what do I know…

Alissa

Umbrae said:
How thick is thick? My deck of well used 78 cards measures 3.35 cm thick.

So if mine are thick and hers are thin, sounds like they had two different printing runs…
Really? Yours are on thick cardstock??? Mine are like... wimpy thin. Must've been multiple runs, alright.

I don't do centimeters on my measuring tape. I just have standard measurements, and my entire 78 card deck stands: 1 and 5/32nds of an inch... if I'm squinting right. Anyone care to find a measurements converter... are we close to matching, Umbrae?

Edited to add: Hey... }) We're neck in neck for ownership... You had your deck only a few months before me, I think. And, you're forgetting, U... you didn't bring the Vargo deck with you when you came to visit. That was the Drogi and the Giger that we kept talking about. (And the Vic. Regs. you had those with you). All oversized decks, I remember. Fateful, yes. But no Gothic. :D I bought my Gothics after reading all the study group threads last November by you and WolfyJ, before giving in to the covetousness for myself.... :D

Alissa

Hey Umbrae... wanna swap? }) I woke up this morning thinking we could mail our decks to each other, check them out, and then mail them back again. That way you can see my "thin," and I can see your "thick".

Lemme know if you're curious and want to... I can mail mine to you some time next week (should get there by the time you're back from your trip).

Umbrae

You're partially right about what decks I had...I think I also had the Scapini - I think I used it for a reading for Starr in Ruidosos...you're correct - I did not have it with me.

As to a trade - I need to ask 'why'? You'd prefer a heavy stock?

Actually - I'd prefer a thin stock if it's coated...

We must pm like the mad persons we are...

...just don't know why we'd mail them back...

(3.35 cm = 1.318898 inches)

Alissa

Umbrae said:
(3.35 cm = 1.318898 inches)
Math is hard... but wouldn't your .3, or 3/10ths of an inch, be slightly thicker than my 5/32nds? Yours is roughly 1/3 of an inch over, and mine is about 1/6th over an inch high?

Are yours scratched, U? My scratches are very light, not the type to discolor, just usual wear and tear from lacing cards. So although they scratch, they aren't "disfigured," schuldich_sunde.

U, will PM you the rest. (Scapini...? Oh YeA~!!!)nodsnodsnods

Umbrae

That's like MORE than an inch and a quarter, and less than an inch and a half.

They are thick - difficult to shuffle.

They crease due to shuffleing So some have 'bend' marks in the cardboard.

I do HOPE they have improved the cardstock...

I'll have to get me another deck perhaps to see.