The Jungian Tarot

Stark Raven

I had recently purchased the Jungian tarot. It didn't have the nice silky smooth finish that a Tarot deck usually has. It felt like it had a coat of fine varnish on or something like that. After only three days of normal waterfall shuffling, it is scuffed to high heavens. It looks ancient already.

Anyone else have this deck? How is yours wearing?

I should add - I purchased mine second hand, but it hadn't been used. So it may be an older printing, I haven't yet looked and won't unless I must :)

rwcarter

There are at least two printings of the Jungian (Urania Verslag AG and Marcus Aurelius Press, which is the newer printing). I do note that the Marcus Aurelius printing is on much thinner cardstock than the Urania Verslag AG printing. I don't note glossiness or varnish in my database, so I can't speak to that. Haven't used either of my copies, so also can't speak to wear.

Metafizzypop

I have this deck and I've used it a lot. It's the Urania Verlags AG version. I've shuffled it plenty, and it still seems fine. No buffs or scratches or damage or vislble wear. The cards are in great shape.

I do have a gripe about the deck, but it has nothing to do with how well it wears. It has to do with the fact that it has the most boring pip cards that I have ever seen.

Stark Raven

I have this deck and I've used it a lot. It's the Urania Verlags AG version. I've shuffled it plenty, and it still seems fine. No buffs or scratches or damage or vislble wear. The cards are in great shape.

I do have a gripe about the deck, but it has nothing to do with how well it wears. It has to do with the fact that it has the most boring pip cards that I have ever seen.

Hmm, I don't know what to make of that, mine are super-scratchy on the faces, but the backs are fine. Mine to is the Urania Verlags AG version. I agree with your comment about the pips. I am not crazy about how certain court cards are easily confused with certain majors.

When I look at the card faces at an angle, the finish is really battered in many areas. The ink is fine though. They certainly don't look like new cards.

Stark Raven

There are at least two printings of the Jungian (Urania Verslag AG and Marcus Aurelius Press, which is the newer printing). I do note that the Marcus Aurelius printing is on much thinner cardstock than the Urania Verslag AG printing. I don't note glossiness or varnish in my database, so I can't speak to that. Haven't used either of my copies, so also can't speak to wear.

Thanks Rodney, yes I did notice that I have the Urania Verlags AG printing.

Le Fanu

Are you sure it's the Urania printing? Does it have that on the box?

There were two versions; a late 80s/90s (?) version and then a reissue in 2000-and-something (Made in China?). I remember there were posts in threads about how much nicer the older printing was.

Mine is the older one and it has lovely cardstock, nicely sturdy, non-glossy, perfect in every way. If yours is glossy and poor quality it may well be the newer one. I really cannot see such discrepancies of cardstock within the very same printing.

Stark Raven

Are you sure it's the Urania printing? Does it have that on the box?

There were two versions; a late 80s/90s (?) version and then a reissue in 2000-and-something (Made in China?). I remember there were posts in threads about how much nicer the older printing was.

Mine is the older one and it has lovely cardstock, nicely sturdy, non-glossy, perfect in every way. If yours is glossy and poor quality it may well be the newer one. I really cannot see such discrepancies of cardstock within the very same printing.

Yes, I says Urania Verlags AG, printed in Switzerland on the box.

When I felt the spots where it's wearing, they felt as if they have powder on them, so the varnish is breaking down as it wears, as least it appears that way. That really bites.

JenWt43

I wonder if the person you purchased it from had placed a different version of the deck into that box. Perhaps inadvertently, I am not attributing any malevolent intent! It has happened to me before, when I purchased second-hand, but I didn't ask for a refund as it did seem to have been a mistake...

Stark Raven

I wonder if the person you purchased it from had placed a different version of the deck into that box. Perhaps inadvertently, I am not attributing any malevolent intent! It has happened to me before, when I purchased second-hand, but I didn't ask for a refund as it did seem to have been a mistake...

I was wondering the same thing. I figured it was best that I ask US Games about that deck, I am awaiting a response. I asked if they cold describe the type of finish that deck should have, both front and back. :)

Update: I asked weeks ago, no response was given.

rwcarter

If I remember when I get home tonight, I'll compare the two versions I have. It's possible you have the Aurelius version in a Urania box. IIRC, there's a noticeable height difference between the two decks when stacked next to one another.