do tarot cards represent holograms?

dma88

ok, so here's an idea i've been tossing around in my head for the last few weeks..

first of all, the holographic universe theory, and the readers digest version of how it actually works:

everything has a vibration (good metaphor: ripples in a pond). The universe is made up of these vibrations. Sometimes, these ripples meet each other. here's a video that goes into more detail:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=59223213350926692#

So, if you watched that video, one of the main points is the fact that a hologram ( a REAL hologram) consists of two or more vibrations coming together and interfering with one another, creating an interference pattern.

So, if I exist, and I think a thought (which has a vibration), and you exist, and you think a thought (which has a different vibration), eventually those two vibrations will meet, creating an interference pattern, or a hologram.

And if I think billions of neurotic subconscious thoughts per second, then I'm creating billions of holograms, but that's a topic for some kind of psycho-therapy forum :)

so back to the topic..

one thing I've been noticing about tarot (and astrology) is how deceptively simple it is.. just a combination of energies. for example, the 6 of cups. combine 6 (numerology) with emotions. or the 3 of wands. combine 3 with power.

and in the motherpeace (other decks may do this too but I don't know about it), the court cards are combinations of 2 different elements. son=air, daughter=earth, priestess=water, shaman=fire. so, the son of cups is air meets water, and the shaman of wands is fire meets fire, the daughter of swords is earth meets air.

So it doesn't seem to apply to the major arcana (which seem to be a 0-21 breakdown of numerology, including the master numbers and karmic numbers), but there is still a trend.

same thing in astrology. if your sun sign is cancer, you combine those two. if your neptune sign is leo, you combine those two. if your saturn sign is scorpio, etc, etc.

so, is there a connection? holograms caused by interference patterns- two energies coming together to describe an aspect of an entity or situation.

Maskelyne

The "deceptively simple" model you describe is only one aspect of the Tarot. It has numerous layers, only a few of which can be so readily quantified. Besides astrology, numerology, Qabalah, and alchemy, there are cultural, spiritual, magikal and other levels. There is Christian mythology, Neo-Platonism, the Italian Renaissance, and influences we can only speculate about at the beginning. Over time, the cards gathered influences from 19th- and 20th-century occultism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, New Age, and manga. In short, I think there are more wavefronts to this hologram than we could ever enumerate.

But if you enjoy applying simple but deep patterns to the cards I recommend the Crowley-Harris Thoth Tarot and related writings.

tarotreader2007

Maskelyne said:
But if you enjoy applying simple but deep patterns to the cards I recommend the Crowley-Harris Thoth Tarot and related writings.

Can I just say "amen" as a response to this?

I've been reading loads recently about this deck and Crowley's theories of the universe and blah blah blah and it's quite intricate, logical, and systematic. Now, if I agree with it completely is one thing, but it's what I would call a well thought out system that is liberally applied and conceived in this deck.

Peace and Love

dma88

well, i'll be the first one to admit that I'm a newbie.. I guess I'll start uncovering each of the layers in its own time. and thanks for the advice on the thoth deck. it's funny, as a kid the only way I had heard of crowley was through the ozzy song..

dma88

i've been reading up on crowley a little bit, to get a sense of his philosophy and how he saw the world.. I like to be informed before jumping into things... here's a really interesting quote:

“The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.”

dma88

another crowley quote:

“every man and woman is a star”

michael tsarion (and others, i'm sure) talks about this as well, how the events in the heavens relate to events on earth, and how it's all being played out through hollywood 'stars', implying that they count and we don't

also, one interpretation i've seen for the star in the tarot is that it represents "your place in the cosmos"- when you pull that card, you're in your "home", you feel like a soverign entity, you feel like "you".

dma88

“The supreme satisfaction is to be able to despise one's neighbor and this fact goes far to account for religious intolerance. It is evidently consoling to reflect that the people next door are headed for hell.”

referring to hypocrisy in organized religion, taking satisfaction in being "normal", kind of like when the early christians marginalized and persecuted the pagans (which is latin for hillbilly)

dma88

“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics.”

self-explanatory, but it explains why so many people come to forums like this when they're confused with a reading :)

dma88

“Roughly speaking, any man with energy and enthusiasm ought to be able to bring at least a dozen others round to his opinion in the course of a year no matter how absurd that opinion might be. We see every day in politics, in business, in social life, large masses of people brought to embrace the most revolutionary ideas, sometimes within a few days. It is all a question of getting hold of them in the right way and working on their weak points.”

this is very true- hypnosis and the subconscious are two things that I've been researching for about 5 or 6 years. just watch barack obama's speeches. human minds and opinions are very malleable. some cold reader psychics probably work in this way too.

Sulis

Hi dma88,

We have a Thoth forum where you can discuss the Thoth deck and Aleister Crowley here: http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Could you please keep this thread to the topic that you started it with, 'Do tarot cards represent holograms?'

Sulis - Talking Tarot co-moderator