The Temperament Experiment #4

Which suit of the Tarot do you feel best fits this temperament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Melanchollic

And last but not least...

Temperament #4

Positives: Ambitious, Dynamic, Decisive, Independent.

Negatives: Impulsive, Short-Tempered, Proud, Dictatorial

Thirteen

Melanchollic said:
And last but not least...

Temperament #4

Positives: Ambitious, Dynamic, Decisive, Independent.

Negatives: Impulsive, Short-Tempered, Proud, Dictatorial
AT LAST! One that fits! This is Wants/Batons! No if's, and's or buts!

Melanchollic

Comments? Critiques?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for joining in.

General comments, etc., about this poll can be found and posted on the main thread, here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=83952

Specific comments about this particular temperament can of course be posted right here.

Thanks,

Mel

MeeWah

This could fit Swords.

greycats

And so?

Now you need a thread for some sort of comprehensive conclusion. I give mine here. If the idea was to verify the relationship of 4 humors with the 4 suits, I'd say that the Sanguine/Cups and the Choleric/Wands were a fair match.

I had to think about the Swords/Melancholic and the Disks/Phlegmatic matchups, but I seem to have come to the same conclusion about them that most respondents did. So I guess these matches were valid, but only just.

For one thing, I could match the Cups/Wands with the positive elements of the temperment descriptions, whereas with the Swords/Disks I had to look more to the negative elements to find a match--usually by a process of elimination. For a fact, though, even the positive elements of the temperment descriptions for the Swords/Disks groups were not particularly appealing.

The Swords have been defined as the communication suit, and what they often communicate in RWS is bad news. So, I don't think they suffer too much under the melancholiac heading. The Disks, however, are really short-changed: no cathedral builders here and no Burbanks. They're all too dull. ;)

jmd

Anyone that already presumes the most written correlations derived from the GD of fire and batons will very likely vote accordingly, as commonly described 'fire' like characteristics are used as descriptors.

Let's look at those descriptions first, however:
"Positives: Ambitious, Dynamic, Decisive, Independent.

Negatives: Impulsive, Short-Tempered, Proud, Dictatorial"​
All of those positives could equally apply, in my view, to the four suits, simply in different fields of life. For example, an ambitious, dynamic, decisive and independent person focussed on the financial world is likely to reflect a Coin card. Conversely and equally for the negative traits, and as an example those traits applied within the context of a church or religious retreat setting may very well reflect a Cup card.

The poll, then, shows very much how the current dominant views of authors is reflected amongst us, and not whether or not the suits themselves reflect those characteristic traits.