Music whilst reading

Miss Woo

I just did a reading while listening to Patti Smith (full bore) and it was completely accurate :)

sladie

http://8tracks.com/sladiewolf/collections/tarot-listening <-- my Tarot soundtrack I've collected when I'm at home studying the cards and doing readings for myself. I don't listen to music when I'm working, too many distractions as it is. It does help me get into the zone and really put the focus on what I'm doing. It doesn't matter if I have music or not, but I need some kind of background noise regardless. Whether it's busy people at a party (or several parties like in my venue), or at home listening to non-lyrical peaceful music.

SunChariot

Does the process of reading while listening to music enhance your intuition, distract your intuition, or neither?

Although it inspires me for reading, writing, and pretty much any circumstance, I have not yet delved into exploring how it affects my intuition when I read.

Music does get me in the "zone" - so I wonder if it would help my reading, but I'm afraid to try.

I like to be calm and in a slight meditative state when I read.

What do you think?

I think that what works well with our intuition and enhances our creativity....is an individual thing. Music might help some people and hinder others when it comes to that.

But yes I would say that if music gets you in the zone, it should be helpful to you. And don't ever be afraid to try ANYTHING in Tarot. When you are not sure how something will work I would not suggest trying it out on others. But try it in readings for yourself. That is the ONLY way to know if something will work for you or not.

It either will, in which case feel free to keep doing it. If it doesn't work, feel free to drop it OR adapt it until it does give you what you want from it. Eg if you try with one kind of music without much success, that does not mean that another kind of music may not work well for you.

What works for one reader differs greatly from what works for another. The only way to find out what works well for you is to experiment. Never be afraid to do that. That is how you will learn to be your best. You don't have to be perfect ,it's just a learning process. You have to try new things to learn.

Some of the best lessons come from what doesnt work. Because then you learn WHY it did not work and that teaches a lot about who you are inside as a reader. The mistakes are an important part of learning that.

I also like and need to be in a slightly meditative state to read. For me, since you asked :grin:, music tkaes me out of that zone. But that is just me. What works for you may be quite different.

Babs

PrincessPaulina

I try not to get into any one habit when reading -- so I've read with & without music; in loud busy places (such as restaurants, bars, parties) as well as totally serene surroundings; with and without crystals; with and without incense; with & without alcohol, etc. Basically, I want to be able to adapt to almost any environment.

When I DO listen to music, I prefer very minimal electronica with no vocals ~ there's a great Canadian based online station called Ambient Art Sound, which I stream off my cell phone or laptop.
Symphonic music also works for me, especially Baroque classical music.
Works by Saint Hildegard of Bingen almost always put me "in the zone"!

Tanga

"Music whilst reading"

lol, the Lord of the Rings soundtrack is in Elvish. I find it distracting because I actually know a little. :)

:) Elvish is modelled on Welsh.

...Works by Saint Hildegard of Bingen almost always put me "in the zone"!

Yaaay! Bring on Hildegard! (which incidentally is also the name of my career guru.).
- 'Golden Bowls' by Karma Moffett (composition of Tibetan singing bowls.) There's a recording with and without the sound of the sea in the background. I like them both.
That would be one 'instrumental' that I could have as background even quite loud and not find that I'm distracted by it. (as the music is not really in-the-line of any catching tune as such).