The clothing readers wear

nisaba

I would be very interested in hearing your views and beliefs on the way Tarot readers dress.
I usually wear jeans and tee-shirts. Or jeans and fleecies in winter.

Are you for or against dressing differently to do readings,
When I had an office job I dressed neater and in newer clothes for work. Now that I read, I dress neater and in newer clothes for work. That's just simple respect for your workplace. Of course, offices aren't all that open to tie-dyed tee-shirts, so the benefit of being a Tarot reader is that instead of wearing the Power Uniform of offices, I get to wear tie-dyed tee-shirts. But they are new and clean, something which can't ever be said of my off-duty clothes.

Oh, and I'm a Tarot reader 100% of the time, so if I'm wearing a set of overalls with oil-stains from servicing a car, that's still clothes that Tarot readers wear.

Zephyros

I have never worn anything special for a reading, I'm certainly not the flimsy negligee type. Once I did a reading for my then-boyfriend wearing nothing at all... It wasn't planned, though, it just happened naturally, both of us being naked because of unrelated reasons.

Grizabella

Hi Babs, Great thread topic!

I was just going to start a thread asking if anyone knew of a cool silk screened top, or cloths with Tarot on it? All I can think of is a t-shirt.

Are there are better options? Are there Tarot fabric sources? But I don't really want to start sewing. I use my mother-in-law's sewing machine when I have projects.

I want to wear something to the health club featuring Tarot to encourage people to ask if I do readings. I am getting a new membership. I would love to find out if others wear cloths to encourage people to ask about the Tarot when they are out in public?

I haven't been going out anywhere to read because I live in an RV in an old apple orchard and don't drive, but I do like to wear flowy things, velvet, eye-catching jewelry and such. I've read here where I live but then I'm just wearing my everyday clothes. Usually a t-shirt and pants or a dress that's comfy and loose that is comfy for the way I live.

Hi again, :grin:

I would be very interested in hearing your views and beliefs on the way Tarot readers dress. Are you for or against dressing differently to do readings, what you wear differently and more importantly, for those why dress the part and decorate their rooms they read in differently why and what you think it adds to a reading. Or if you don't believe in that, why not?

I'd be very interesting in hearing different points of view on this.

Babs

Business attire can be many different things. Scrubs if you're a doctor or nurse, blue jeans and a western shirt if you do things with horses----so to say "business casual" can mean a whole lot of things depending on the person's business. If someone asked me to read for Halloween, naturally the Gypsy stuff would be in order. Or if someone specifically requested it. Otherwise, I just dress in whatever I have on at the moment someone asks for a reading. The cards are so much a part of my life that I just read whenever, however and whichever way someone asks me to read.

Tanga

The clothing readers wear.

Hi again, :grin:

I would be very interested in hearing your views and beliefs on the way Tarot readers dress. Are you for or against dressing differently to do readings, what you wear differently and more importantly, for those why dress the part and decorate their rooms they read in differently why and what you think it adds to a reading. Or if you don't believe in that, why not?

I'd be very interesting in hearing different points of view on this.

Babs

I would say dress comfortably and professionally (not necessarily formally, unless you wish to - but y'know - look decent) in a style that you like.
And - 'dress like you're worth it'. Reading is an extension of yourself and who you are.

Personally I don't dress differently for readings - unless it's readings in a themed environment - say on Halloween I might dress up differently, or If I were reading at a party and it would make a fun and more appropriate impact to dress up as the 'typical' psychic in coloured flowing robes with lots of jewellery.
I don't read full-time and have a shop or dedicated space to read.
But if I did - I'd probably decorate the room with my favourite things that lean towards suggestions of divination and psychic practice. I'd like to have beautiful coloured silks, crystals, and my favourite images/statuettes of Deities etc. in there - so that I could create my atmosphere of 'sacred space' to do the readings in.

Thanks for all those links to clothing! - think I'll indulge myself in a couple of Tarot T-shirts...

Tanga

saricchella

I really like Tanga's answer to this, ad I strongly agree with her in two main points:

- Dress like you're worth it. You will know how. In my opinion, you should feel elegant and inspired. If you usually go with flowy and lots of jewelry, I don't think you should dress more business-like just for the sake of it. You would want to be comfortable!

- Re: decorating. The same thing. Elegant and inspired. The environment helps the querent focus. It also says a lot about the reader. If it looks cheap, they will feel uncomfortable paying you a lot of money. If it looks fake, they will have a hard time connecting with the cards. It's the same with the clothing, actually.

What would you like to see as a querent?

Disa

I really like Tanga's answer to this, ad I strongly agree with her in two main points:

- Dress like you're worth it. You will know how. In my opinion, you should feel elegant and inspired. If you usually go with flowy and lots of jewelry, I don't think you should dress more business-like just for the sake of it. You would want to be comfortable!

- Re: decorating. The same thing. Elegant and inspired. The environment helps the querent focus. It also says a lot about the reader. If it looks cheap, they will feel uncomfortable paying you a lot of money. If it looks fake, they will have a hard time connecting with the cards. It's the same with the clothing, actually.

What would you like to see as a querent?

I agree with this, as well.

As a teen I often did dress like Stevie Nicks- that's the style I love, flowy and tasteful- elegant and inspired... I work in an office on a daily basis so business causal is what I'm wearing, if I have a tarot reading after work I go in business casual. On the weekends, I'm not as flowy and tasteful as Stevie Nicks these days,but I do wear more flowy tops,black jeans, bigger earrings and pendants than I usually wear to the office, etc. So, if I have a reading on the weekends, that's what I'm wearing. I don't wear dresses and skirts much anymore, but if I do they are long and flowy:) That's just what I like.

I think being comfortable really is important, you can relax and do a better reading.But if I'm going to do a paid reading I do make sure I've done my hair, makeup, and look clean, etc...but that's just me anyway when I go places that matter.

Oh- as far as where I read, if people are coming to my place, the living room is already perfect for readings---no changes required, or the dining room will suffice-I just make sure everything's tidy....and if I'm going to them, I just take a variety of decks and a nice reading cloth- sit at the dining room table and off we go:)

tarotbear

Because I have spent most of my life in theatre I always tell people that they should 'dress to fit the occasion;' if it is a schtick-y thing like a Mardi Gras party and you want to be dressed as a schtick-y Fortune Teller - go right ahead - you audience is probably expecting it. If you are reading for a corporate clientele then going dressed as a stereotype may work to your disadvantage. Private reading in a private home - dress comfortably.

I have an outfit I call 'Basic Black with Too Much Jewelry' - usually what I wear to house parties; I also have my full 'Mr. Wizard Drag' that I wear to be outrageous when the situation calls for it. Reading for a low-key psychic fair? Think low-key.

Attachments

• headshot9.jpg
    headshot9.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Equinox Pin.jpg
    Equinox Pin.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 109
  • wizhead1.jpg
    wizhead1.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Winewiz#1.jpg
    Winewiz#1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 117

Darkmage

I just dress as I always do--jeans, boots/sandals in summer, and T-shirt or sweater depending on weather and how much the shop has the A/C cranked up.

I have a lot of allergies and a lot of synthetic fabrics are not my friend. Cotton is, however.

As for makeup, standard street makeup's fine. I'm pale as I'm a grey-eyed redhead, so being ghost white is normal for me. It's not part of the image.

I don't understand those people who feel they *need* to dress up as gypsies or hippies unless they actually *are.* Likewise, I really don't like those people who show up dressed like they just finished doing a crapton of yardwork in old clothes. So long as the reader is clean and well-groomed, dress doesn't matter that much. I don't like when clients show up looking like (or smelling like) they've just spent a week out in the desert, either. Show respect as a reader for your clients by dressing appropriately and being well-groomed. Show respect as a client for your reader by doing the same.

My $3.

@Tarotbear: that last picture with you holding a glass of wine is pure win. <3