Learning tarot completely from apps

Alta

There are some very good tarot apps available, I have three myself. Generally you can do single card draws, spreads etc and generally they have some sort of abbreviated meaning (at least) for the cards.

I note that people are signing up for ATF with only apps, no deck. Now this isn't to say that they might not acquire a deck in future but it made me wonder.

Do you think it is possible to become fluent in Tarot, become at least a decent if not excellent reader using only apps?

I am so old school, even liking and using the apps, that I am inclined to say that arranging, shuffling and pondering the cards at least in part requires a physical deck. What do you think?

PattyMc

I'm old school and have wondered this myself! I know several people who use an app and not physical cards, they all say it works for them just fine.

Myself... I enjoy the feeling of a deck in my hands, the shuffle literally soothes me! I have tried watching the cards shuffle on an app and it just doesn't do it for me!

Although I use an ebook reader, and love it, I sure hope physical tarot decks are around for a while. Oooooh, I just had a thought, I can tell my husband that I need to purchase all these decks because one day they may all be e decks...yep, that's a good believable one :D

Blessings,
Patty

Aivli

Hello Alto! I'm going to jump in here with a happily resounding YES! I do think it is absolutely possible for someone to become fluent in Tarot and an excellent reader using only apps.

I own several Tarot apps and I can say that without a doubt they have improved my knowledge base, ability to study more freely (studying privately in plain sight), and my confidence in using my physical decks. In fact, I have almost completely stopped using my physical decks as the apps are so much more convenient. With my apps I can arrange cards to my heart's content, just like with my physical decks, but I don't have to put my cards away. I can save where I am and come back to my spread or reading at any time, which is incredibly helpful. If anything, I have more time to ponder individual cards and spreads, their images as a whole, their details, and their meanings. I use Fool's Dogs apps, and they also provide me with quick and readily available reference as they come loaded with the companion book (or books). I can also type in whatever meanings and insights I have personally for each card, or spread/reading, so I do not feel limited, at all, to only the book meanings, and I can let my intuition have free range.

Shuffling is another thing. I do enjoy having the physical decks in my hands, but again, I feel that with Fool's Dog apps in particular (they have awesome settings) that shuffling and drawing is just as random as having them in my hands.

I can wholeheartedly say that my comfort level with Tarot and my confidence and understanding has grown by leaps and bounds because of these apps. I love having both the app and the physical decks, but the apps have really helped me learn at a faster pace than the decks.

Winterchild

Not for me... I have been trying to use a couple of Tarot apps for the past 2 years with no joy. I cannot connect, even though I own the actual deck. Total block for me so far, but it may change. I use my apps to really zoom in on the detail...especially if reading in dim light and I want to see a card better.

I totally need my physical connection with the actual decks.

In an odd way it reminds me of when Vinyl changed to CD's.... the a lot was taken from the experience and joy of my records... even though it was easier, more portable..!

Winterchild

Your post has insoired me to try harder Aivil... Thanks! I think if they were available on my Mac and not just the phone I may be more keen to work at it... :)

Hello Alto! I'm going to jump in here with a happily resounding YES! I do think it is absolutely possible for someone to become fluent in Tarot and an excellent reader using only apps.

I own several Tarot apps and I can say that without a doubt they have improved my knowledge base, ability to study more freely (studying privately in plain sight), and my confidence in using my physical decks. In fact, I have almost completely stopped using my physical decks as the apps are so much more convenient. With my apps I can arrange cards to my heart's content, just like with my physical decks, but I don't have to put my cards away. I can save where I am and come back to my spread or reading at any time, which is incredibly helpful. If anything, I have more time to ponder individual cards and spreads, their images as a whole, their details, and their meanings. I use Fool's Dogs apps, and they also provide me with quick and readily available reference as they come loaded with the companion book (or books). I can also type in whatever meanings and insights I have personally for each card, or spread/reading, so I do not feel limited, at all, to only the book meanings, and I can let my intuition have free range.

Shuffling is another thing. I do enjoy having the physical decks in my hands, but again, I feel that with Fool's Dog apps in particular (they have awesome settings) that shuffling and drawing is just as random as having them in my hands.

I can wholeheartedly say that my comfort level with Tarot and my confidence and understanding has grown by leaps and bounds because of these apps. I love having both the app and the physical decks, but the apps have really helped me learn at a faster pace than the decks.

RunningWild

I can't tell if I'm old-school...or just old. I have a couple of phone apps, but honestly, I prefer the physical decks to the apps. If the power goes out and the battery dies, I don't have to wonder if I'll ever be able to read the cards. If my phone goes to seed, is outdated and I'm forced to purchase a new one, I won't have to buy another app.

I have a Kindle for some books. I have tarot books on there, as well, but I'd rather have the physical books for that sort of thing. I'm not a tech addict that I have to be connected to some device 24/7 or my life will simply end. And I do not at all find that doing readings with an app is as effective as it seems to be when using the physical deck.

danieljuk

I do use tarot apps but I wouldn't want to learn with them or not have a physical deck.
I think you can learn from them only but it misses something for me, they are called "tarot cards". But I think that is just my preference, what works best for each person I guess!

I have gone on holiday and only had digital tarot decks on my phone and it's worked out very well! But I feel there is something wrong to do a reading for someone else or even a large spread for myself.

I do think I get accurate cards from cards on my phone but I noticed recently I can't read the digital cards as intuitively as physical ones.

probably in future they will become more and more digital, apps for tarot have only been around for about 5 years probably!

Aivli

Your post has insoired me to try harder Aivil... Thanks! I think if they were available on my Mac and not just the phone I may be more keen to work at it... :)

WinterChild, I can totally understand your frustration. I don't do anything but single card draws or cards notes on my phone. Everything else I do in the apps is on my iPad! So much more room on the screen.

Winterchild

I have gone on holiday and only had digital tarot decks on my phone and it's worked out very well!

Whaaaaaaaat... you left your hoe for more than a day without a real card Tarot deck? That's like going out naked!

:)

Winterchild

So I just bought two apps I have the decks of... Holy Light is great as it has the book which I don't believe is in print yet! I also got The Ellis Deck.... And one I haven't got a hard copy of... The International Icon.... It was the Happy Squirrel card that did it for me :)