Setting up an online tarot practice

moon_light

I just went through all of this and what I ended up doing was getting paid hosting that allows for a shop. I don't know if it's the smartest thing, but it was really easy. (Plus I got 50% off through a Thanksgiving sale.) I used wix.com and they have great templates! I spent a few hours over the course of three days getting the design done, which I consider relatively fast. A link to it is on my profile, if you're interested. Yes, it cost a little, but nothing a few readings won't pay for (once I actually get them). I'd say it was worth it.

danieljuk

if you subscribe to AT, you can post a thread in the advertisement forum section promoting your business site as well. You can also do follow ups like special offers and keep promoting it. I don't know how much business it brings but I have looked through people in the advertisement section for a paid reading because I want to support AT people :) just an idea! as well as on your profile link. oooh what a cute etsy as well!

I think making the effort to make your good own website for your page is worth it! then really promote it, social networking and get that link out there! you could offer free one card readings or something if you refer to a friend, that sort of idea. You want your business site to spread :)

Ace of Stars

Having done a fair amount of marketing for my business for a few years now, the most valuable advice I can give is: think of sharing, not advertising.

Make things of value -- this might be a weekly reading for your followers, blog posts or videos about Tarot, free ebooks, guided meditations, Tarot spreads -- and give them away.

Also, work on making meaningful and authentic connections on social media -- listen to your online tribe, find out what their problems are and find ways to help them, be generous and be discoverable.

If you have a new offering, by all means, tell people about it, but I don't think focusing on trying to convince people to buy your stuff is the most effective approach. Show them who you are and what you can do.

Reverie

Hi folks!

Thank you all for your kind suggestions and for sharing your personal experiences with setting up your own shops!

Indeed I agree with the concept of sharing and generosity - I do this because I like to and I love helping others. And I think charging a small price for it makes sense because the feedback I am getting is that my readings help. Also, this is a part time occupation. I am looking for a part time job.

I'll definitely be checking in for more advice as the shop goes forward, but I am loving it so far. Also I have a twitter page which I linked to my profile here. I think I'm more likely to get clients through AT and word of mouth, but it's nice to get my name out there and practice writing tidbits for twitter and maybe a blog later on...

Anyway, thank you all so much!

Reverie

Also wanted to mention I setup shop on Etsy and I am very happy with it, they have everything ready for you, they just charge a very small percentage off each purchase. Maybe later on I will try a website but this just feels safer to me right now.

And the photography is all mine, thank you for the compliment danieljuk :)

kduphily

Just wanted to say it's a very cute shop, and I have been on the fence forever about doing the same thing and perhaps now I will take the plunge...

Reverie

Just wanted to say it's a very cute shop, and I have been on the fence forever about doing the same thing and perhaps now I will take the plunge...

Hello!

Thank you for the compliment! I posted some pictures I took in the last year.

Yes, why not! if you have a gift why not share it!! That's my approach :)

Metafizzypop

This is a handy thread. Good info.

tarotlaura

I also have a shop set up through Etsy. I've had the shop set up for a few years now and I really like it. The thing is, you really have to promote yourself as there are a lot of Tarot shops over there and you can get lost in the shuffle. So, you have to come up with interesting ways to promote your business. I use Twitter for my social media outlet. I usually post a Tarot card in the morning and a Lenormand card in the evening. Right now, for me, it's just about keeping it simple and trying not to over complicate things. I am in the process of redesigning the shop. Having a shop for a few years you find out which readings go over really well and which ones don't. So I am clearing out some readings and I will be adding more in the coming weeks. Have fun with it.

Reverie

Hi tarotlaura,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!
I am loving it too!

I have also set up a twitter account, and I'll have to think of other ways to promote my shop. I do this part time, so my turn around to get the readings ready is 1-3 days for shorter readings, and 2-5 days for longer readings. I am liking the pace so far because it gives me time to deepen my own spirituality in the meantime.