Same question, different spreads?

Pam O

Also you can ask for advice.
For example:

What should I focus on to find a fun, happy relationship?
1. Situation
2. Block (What has been stopping me?)
3. Advice
4. IF I follow this advice, what is a probable outcome?

Pique Dame

First, do you use Rx cards? If not, the Rx meaning is buried in the upright card! :bugeyed:

So let's say you got the "9 of cups" as the result. :confused:
- Is this really a 'wish card', and at this moment given the current energy, your wish is predicted to come true?
- OR, is it saying you are going to be drinking alone to bury your sorrow?
(9s are ruled by the Hermit!)

Yes, I do read with reversals. Funnily enough, I got the 9 of cups (upright) as the outcome of a recent spread and have been wondering this exact same thing ever since, hence my reason for wanting more info on the situation.

I apologize if I worded the question poorly. (It was late, I was half-asleep and not in the best state, mentally.) I don't think of the cards as animate objects. I just say "the cards" as a simpler way to refer to whatever spirit guides are speaking to you through them. I try not to beat a question to death (anymore) :) so I feel bad for asking the same thing more than once a month. I've noticed in the past that asking the same question a bunch of times in a short period of time causes the cards to shut down or just give conflicting, nonsensical answers. It feels like I'm being toyed with. I know it's considered a bad habit or possibly even a breach of etiquette to keep harping on the same issue. I was just wondering how acceptable or unacceptable it is to do a couple different spreads on the same question for either confirmation, extra info, or just a different perspective.

Grizabella

I just want to interject something here. They're your cards and you can use them in any way you want to. No matter whether or not anyone else on this forum chooses to use theirs a different way, they're still yours to use as you please and to develop a rapport with. There are people whose opinion it is that you're better off not reading on the same question over and over again but that doesn't mean you can't do it. It just means that's their opinion.

I feel bad when I see people being so apologetic and obviously feeling guilty about what they do that isn't exactly just what everyone else does or advises doing.

Your cards and your intuition may work together just fine doing repeat questions on the same issue. Not everyone is the same kind of reader and the cards work in different ways for different people. We all learn our own lessons from them. Just use them as you see fit and don't feel the least big guilty.

You get lots of advice here. But that's just what you should view it as---advice. Not iron clad rules so that you have to feel you owe someone an apology or that you have to have a "dirty little secret" because you've seen someone expressing an opinion about what you should or shouldn't do with the cards and yet you find yourself doing it. After all---where do you suppose their advice came from? Chances are, they came from having done the same question over and over again for awhile before they decided it didn't work for them. Pick and choose what works for you regardless of the advice.

Just about the only iron-clad "rule" around Tarot is that you not scam with the cards. Now, THAT piece of advice really does need to be iron-clad. But the rest of it is optional and up to you to decide on for yourself. :)

Pam O

Griz certainly has the best answer!

Really, you can do whatever you want.

You might make yourself crazy asking over and over, but then again, we ALL make ourselves crazy at some time or another! That is probably human nature.

And as a matter of fact, I realize that over the past couple of years, I have asked a the Tarot multiple times about a block/problem I have acquired... I keep getting the same answer. Do I listen to the Tarot's answer? Right now I am thinking about the problem, but am I tackling it? Nope, instead I am online.... (I just realized it is a broken relationship between me, myself, and I, because I seem to be my own block...) And beside me sit some of my decks that I am going to start shuffling any moment. Should I ask the cards again what my "solution" is in hopes of getting a new "answer"? })

Anyway, the whole reason I am here at your thread is because a sticker caught my eye, and I thought of you, so I came back to your thread to share the wisdom with you:
"Find what you love. Love what you find."

So if re-asking your question in a new spread is what you want to do, and you feel the passion to do that, then you have answered yourself. If you find you are making yourself crazy, you always have the power to make a new decision. Follow your heart. :heart:

And, as Griz said, the rule of thumb is simply to be ethical. The ethical rule is that we only read for those who ask. We do not read other people without their permission. We don't try to "make" others do things. And it is up to all of us to choose to be ethical...

pandap

I just want to interject something here. They're your cards and you can use them in any way you want to. No matter whether or not anyone else on this forum chooses to use theirs a different way, they're still yours to use as you please and to develop a rapport with. There are people whose opinion it is that you're better off not reading on the same question over and over again but that doesn't mean you can't do it. It just means that's their opinion.

I feel bad when I see people being so apologetic and obviously feeling guilty about what they do that isn't exactly just what everyone else does or advises doing.

Your cards and your intuition may work together just fine doing repeat questions on the same issue. Not everyone is the same kind of reader and the cards work in different ways for different people. We all learn our own lessons from them. Just use them as you see fit and don't feel the least big guilty.

You get lots of advice here. But that's just what you should view it as---advice. Not iron clad rules so that you have to feel you owe someone an apology or that you have to have a "dirty little secret" because you've seen someone expressing an opinion about what you should or shouldn't do with the cards and yet you find yourself doing it. After all---where do you suppose their advice came from? Chances are, they came from having done the same question over and over again for awhile before they decided it didn't work for them. Pick and choose what works for you regardless of the advice.

Just about the only iron-clad "rule" around Tarot is that you not scam with the cards. Now, THAT piece of advice really does need to be iron-clad. But the rest of it is optional and up to you to decide on for yourself. :)

That's probably one of the best posts I've read on this forum. Very well said!

pandap

I personally use the same question or variation multiple times. Sometimes using the same spread, sometimes using a different spread. I do it because I find it helpful to track progress and it helps me learn. I find the same answers, sometimes with the same cards or with different cards, and sometimes there's some further development or insight thrown in. I've also found doing a reading for a particular question each week regarding the same thing, actually changes at bit, which is reflective of the circumstances that are going on at the time pertinent to the relevant question. It's almost like following a soap opera.

I tell the universe to please bear with me, as I am learning and am trying to get more insight, which I know is probably annoying for them, but it helps me on my journey. I thank them for their understanding and patience, and for the further insight I've developed. So far I've found it extremely useful and helpful. Despite doing the same readings over and over, so far I haven't received a contradictory or bad reading using this method.

Pique Dame

Thank you, Grizabella. Best post yet!

Owl Tarot

I know the cards don't like it when you ask the same question over and over and they will often start screwing with you if you do. But what if you ask essentially the same question while using different spreads? Does that count as bothering the cards, or is it some kind of tarot loophole since the spread and positions within it aren't exactly the same?

I could think that you are pulling a loophole from yourself in such an instance. I won't take into account if the reading was truthful, but I will focus on the fact that you read for the same issue two times. A nice way to clear that issue out, is by carefully choosing your spread before reading and picking a spread which you work well with. If you need clarity, you can also pull one more card and place it next to the part you think isn't clear.

Another consideration would be to use a more "traditional", "generic" spread and work it from there.

Chimera Dust

I don't believe that's a "rule" that requires a loophole in the first place. I don't believe that the cards "don't like it" when you ask the same question. It's just that if you're asking the same question over and over, how healthy can that be?