those tricky convicted-assailant clients...

MissNine

20 years is a long time ago, but the event DID happen and who knows if this woman lost it with anyone else and it didn't get reported.

I would recommend to speak with your condo association, confirm that she IS in fact allowed to be in this community and if she is, agree to meet at the meeting room/pool house/community center area of the development. No need to go to her house. If you need more privacy with her, you can always ask to block out time at the community room and have security nearby, at least.

I would NOT be allowing this person to enter your abode, nor enter hers.

Hope that helps!

pandap

While I agree with everyone who said that you should look after your own safety (that much is pretty obvious)...,I'm also a believer in second chances. I don't know what you found online but if it actually is the same woman, you haven't mentioned finding anything pertaining to things she's done since then. Even a criminal record doesn't tell the whole story, and there could be all kinds of things going on there. She might have had mental problems in the past, and is now taking the right kind of medication so as not to be violent. She may have had a drinking problem in the past but has since sobered up. Point is, she's been out of trouble for a very long time. Plus, it isn't as though she was convicted of mass murder or pedophilia.

I'm just throwing things out there, I obviously know less about her than the little you do, but the internet can have such compromising information that is very often irrelevant or inaccurate. It also doesn't allow people to leave their past behind, leading to situations like these where people are judged according to mistakes they made a lifetime ago, and may (or obviously, may not) have left far behind.

I think that's a very good point. Apart from which, I think in any circumstances if you are visiting someone's house that you don't personally know, for whatever reason, you should use common sense and exercise a degree of caution. 99.9% of strangers are fine, but there will always be the 00.1% who aren't - whether you know they've had a criminal record or not.