Music whilst reading

Zephyros

I'm addicted to Vangelis, specially El Greco soundtrack and 1492, and some songs of the lord of the ring. They help me to get in the mood, and as they are not in spanish, and english is not my maternal language, the lyrics of the songs do not distract me....

lol, the Lord of the Rings soundtrack is in Elvish. I find it distracting because I actually know a little. :)

Gwenelan

I usually find music distracting, especially if I like it. If it has words, it's absolutely distracting for me, since I hear those instead of myself. So, when reading, I usually go with silence.

ivanna

lol, the Lord of the Rings soundtrack is in Elvish. I find it distracting because I actually know a little. :)

Ahahahahhaha elvish!!!! This is why it doesnt distract me. I cant speak elvish at all. Alalahahahhaa. But not all the songs, isn't it??!!! Otherwise it will mean my english skills are much worse....

Curious Dragon

I've never listened to music when I'm reading the cards, but my new meditation app came with music and relaxing sounds, so I think I might try some of that when I do my next reading.

nisaba

Does the process of reading while listening to music enhance your intuition, distract your intuition, or neither?
Once I'm in the flow, I don't hear any background sounds. Music goes away, as does traffic noise and even the sounds of power tools from nearby workers.

Music does get me in the "zone" - so I wonder if it would help my reading, but I'm afraid to try.
If I particularly *like* a given piece of music, there's a risk I'll actually listen to it, and not get fully into the reading. If I don't particularly like it, why would I waste expensive electricity on it?

I like to be calm and in a slight meditative state when I read.

You perhaps need to practice reaching that state of mind at will, without using crutches like music or alcohol to get there. Once you have conscious control of your moods it will enhance so much more of your life than just Tarot readings.

Fayrena

It's really weird, but when I do readings for things that are bound to be negative, I find upbeat hipstery music helps me to keep objective and not jump to conclusions so that I get more insight and don't get too emotionally involved in my work. Keeps me focused.

Maybe some new school, soft Modest Mouse so long as there isn't too much twang in there, some Arcade Fire that's a little bit more low-key and softer sounding, Belle and Sebastian.

Then I'll light up a bit of incense, probably, if I'm particularly tense, but still have a deadline to keep for a client and stay grounded. My personal favorite is the minimal smoke incense from Japan. That and the music helps me stay in the mood.

ETA:

If I particularly *like* a given piece of music, there's a risk I'll actually listen to it, and not get fully into the reading.

YYYYYYYYYYYUP.

Citrin

I never listen to "regular" music when meditating or reading tarot cards, but often to Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's "brainwave music" on Spotify (eh I don't know if you have it overseas but it's like youtube for music and has several of his CDs). It really gets me calm and focused. :)

headincloud

I find music extremely distracting and disruptive when reading tarot and it acts as a total block where medium ship or channelling poetry are concerned but meditation I find extremely difficult without because the breath naturally aligns with the beat and rhythm and acts as a focus, without music I find myself having to drag my wandering mind back to base continually so I just use music to de-stress before working but each to their own.

anie

Does the process of reading while listening to music enhance your intuition, distract your intuition, or neither?

Although it inspires me for reading, writing, and pretty much any circumstance, I have not yet delved into exploring how it affects my intuition when I read.

Music does get me in the "zone" - so I wonder if it would help my reading, but I'm afraid to try.

I like to be calm and in a slight meditative state when I read.

What do you think?

well personally, I need complete quiet... i'm learning to 'trust' my empathic abilities and as I learn to 'feel' the reading I must be in a relaxed and almost light headed space.... although its not to say that sometimes an overwhelming feeling can come to me on certain readings and I could be literally in the parking lot of my kids school and drawing cards with the radio playing! :D That being said, sometimes I wonder if the 'noise' has actually caused the feeling or sensation to flow into the reading... ie the song may end up being the trigger to the reading response.....

Try it out! you never know how it will work out for you.. that is what practice on the forum is for.. :)

Reverie

Thank you :)

Hi everyone!

So neat that this thread got so many responses!

Yes, I too always wonder if listening to a particular mood music would inaccurately color my reading.

So, I tried reading for a very brief moment with music today, and I did not like it at all. I couldn't focus at all.

Like anie, I need to be in a 'calm' state to read and get clairvoyant images. If I'm listening to music, I'm thinking about aspects of my life and not what I'm reading about.

Also, I use the sounds in my surroundings to give me clues as to the reading. I find this to be very effective. Also I look for visual clues in my surroundings, and it's telling and possible for me because there is an apartment complex right across my window with a lot of activity.

I like what nisaba said about music or alcohol being a "crutch" to achieve results. Actually tarot and clairvoyance is one of the rare activities I can do effectively without requiring a crutch (music usually to study or write), so perhaps I should preserve that. It's a very pure activity, just me and my surroundings, no music, no tv, no alcohol.