First tarot deck!

sensitivemuse

My very first tarot deck just came in mail! So excited! Any recommendations as to what I should do first? Any particular reading or spread? :)

laurence

Hi!

What's your deck?

sensitivemuse

Medieval cat tarot.

Curious Dragon

Congrats on your deck! It's always fun when a new deck arrives.

I'd do a new deck interview first. It's a fun way to play with your deck, and there's no pressure like there might be if you started with something serious. You can find a few options in the Spreads forum index.

Another fun thing to do is a storytelling spread. If could be as simple as beginning - middle - end, but again, there are more spreads in the Spreads forum index.

These are just suggestions, of course. It's your deck and you can do whatever you want with it. :)

kduphily

Welcome to the forum :). Oh the joys of a new deck :) I also echo curious dragon with doing a deck interview, defiantly check out the spreads, plus you could always just shuffle them to get used to them in your hands, way back when I got my first deck, I spent a good long while just shuffling and reordering it. Then I found this forum and haven't looked back since lol.

nisaba

Have fun with it! Pore over the images. Play Tarot Solitaire - the rules are here. Shuffle, shuffle and shuffle again. It's got hard lamination, that one, so it will need a lot of shuffling. Pull a card for what the deck is good at, what the deck is not good at, that the deck will teach you and what the deck will learn from you. And shuffle some more. And play lots of Tarot Solitaire!

tarotbear

Solitaire? Play Tarot Poker! Rules here. :joke: :cool: :cool4: :cool2:

nisaba

Competing games! But Tarot Solitaire can be played in the privacy of your bedroom, and Tarot Poker needs Tarot-minded pals.

sensitivemuse

awesome!! I'm soooo excited!!!!

would it also help if I also go through each card, just to see how they look like, what feelings I get from them? I'm not going to ask anything yet I just want to "get to know" the cards.

Another thing, I have my very old set of tarot cards (the cardboard kind that I ripped out of a magazine) they have a very special place in my heart and I don't want to get rid of them.

What does everyone do with their old tarot decks?

kduphily

awesome!! I'm soooo excited!!!!

would it also help if I also go through each card, just to see how they look like, what feelings I get from them? I'm not going to ask anything yet I just want to "get to know" the cards.

Another thing, I have my very old set of tarot cards (the cardboard kind that I ripped out of a magazine) they have a very special place in my heart and I don't want to get rid of them.

What does everyone do with their old tarot decks?

The only rule to learning tarot is there arent any rules lol go at your own pace and learn the way you learn, and if you are stumped you can always ask a question here, there are lots of people who will answer just about any question you have.

And for your very old deck of cards, keep them and use them :) they are tarot cards after all.

Kris