How do you undo Bias?

Celtic_Dragon

Has anyone tried to do a reading that was meant for themselves but to keep from playing the favoritism, read it as though it was for someone else?

I know I can have a moment of wanting a read to go a certain way, and I've tried time and time again to do it without being too positive or being too negative so as to not get excited if it was actually supposed to be a good reading. I've thought about doing a reading as though it was for some stranger. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if it came with some realistic results.

If you haven't done this, any criticism? or ideas.

Padma

Has anyone tried to do a reading that was meant for themselves but to keep from playing the favoritism, read it as though it was for someone else?

I know I can have a moment of wanting a read to go a certain way, and I've tried time and time again to do it without being too positive or being too negative so as to not get excited if it was actually supposed to be a good reading. I've thought about doing a reading as though it was for some stranger. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if it came with some realistic results.

If you haven't done this, any criticism? or ideas.

I have done this - sometimes to great effect. It *can* work, but you have to be super objective...that can be hard. But can also be satisfying. I type mine out in the forum here, as though reading for another, then I cut and paste them to my own gmail, and send it to myself...and delete the AT version without posting it. That way, I read as if for another, here - but in the end it is for me ;) I have found good results this way. Writing it down can help! :love:

Celtic_Dragon

Thanks, I could try that and see what results I get.

Chimera Dust

When I read for myself when I was starting out, sometimes I tried to read about big issues and was quite biased about it. One of the things that's helped is that I wrote down my readings, so after some time, I'm able to read my notes again and notice the ways in which I was biased. For some time, I also took a break from reading about anything important where I was concerned, and read about myself using smaller subjects for practice.

Nowadays, sometimes I read about myself. I try to avoid being biased by remembering that whatever the outcome is, if it's a negative one I will (at least) be prepared for it. I also try to have advice cards in my readings and read about different outcomes based on different courses of action. It helps to try to think of the reading as a way to analyse how I feel about possible outcomes and to come to terms with things I already know but don't want to accept.

Eremita90

I have never tried that technique. My approach is different: I often spend a day or two pondering and meditating on the issue -usually also by going through the whole deck to get inspiration- before doing a reading, trying to actually see it from as many perspectives as possible, breaking it down to pieces, putting them back together in different ways, etc. At the end of the process, I'm not going to say I don't need the reading anymore, but I need it much less, and since the need for something is the root of positive or negative bias, I generally get better results. Sometimes I even decide that the question or topic wasn't good to begin with, and discard the idea of doing a reading

gregory

I don't read for myself. Even though I can make sure the readings are about me, if I don't like what I get in terms of what I asked, I can always find some other aspect of my life that fits the reading to a T and convince myself that THAT was what it was about !

I hugely admire those who can get a "dispassionate" reading for themselves. I wish I could. But I am honest enough with myself that I ask someone else when I need a reading...

Ace

Actually, I find the best way to read for myself is to use the LWB and follow it exactly. That way, I don't cheat.

barb

gregory

Actually, I find the best way to read for myself is to use the LWB and follow it exactly. That way, I don't cheat.

barb
Well see - if I do that - and get a reading that says - what I was hoping it wouldn't - I can ALWAYS tie it into some other aspect of my life and convince myself that the cards thought I needed to know that MORE.... After all - that does happen when reading for others ! That they ask a question; we read, and they say OMG, thanks for that - I wanted to know about work, but that is SUCH good advice for what I need to do about my sister...

Sulis

I read for myself and I've found that knowing about the situation I'm in really helps and adds depth to the reading...
I think the when reading for yourself the important thing is to be open and to try not to be too invested in a certain outcome.. If you know that you really, really want a certain outcome and you know that you'll probably try to see that outcome in the cards no matter what, don't bother reading...

I have done self readings where I've pretended it's for someone else and it's worked well.. I've found that it really helps to speak the reading aloud when doing this as if I'm actually speaking to a client and what helps even more is to use a stuffed animal or teddy bear to represent 'the querant'.. I have an old stuffed mouse that I call Tarot Mouse and I used to use him as a pretend querant when doing practice readings.. If the reading is for me then I use Tarot Mouse as me.. I ask him questions, let him answer and I read for him.
Doing something like this helps to remove myself from the situation and that helps with objectivity if objectivity is what's needed (I don't always think it is)..