Reading in social area'a

Luna-Ocean

Reading in social area's

I had ventured out this evening for a few social drinks with my friend and we decided to take our Tarot cards, i have never done this before as it was in my local town and people here can be abit closed minded, but people were intensively watching me give my readings to my friend and i was thinking this wasn't where i should be doing my reading?

The interesting thing is i needed to lay out my cards on the small table space there were about 20 people glancing over but i felt they knew what we were doing? i was hoping someone would strike up the courage and ask if i could do them a reading but they kept away but still looked on with interest.

I think i will go back and ask the pub owner if this was something that would interest their customers, What's been your experience with reading in these kind of places?

3ill.yazi

I really want to do this, but am gutless.

Luna-Ocean

I really want to do this, but am gutless.

I can understand your nervousness and i was more concerned by their reactions then anything else, i didn't notice any disapproving glances with doing the readings more that they were paying attention to how i was laying out the cards on the table? I noticed that the bar maid was quite interested she kept looking over watching me and wondering what the heck i was telling me friend.

nisaba

I'm not a huge pub-girl. but I *am* a huge cafe-girl, and I'm perfectly okay with doing readings both for friends and for clients in cafes. Sometimes people watch, sometimes they don't.

The horse has bolted, I'd say, but get yourself some business cards cards printed, and always have a dozen or so with you. If you read publicly again and someone shows an interest, give them a card. And ask the venue if you can leave a little pile of cards on their counter. Most places will be happy to. Go back every so often and top them up.

Luna-Ocean

I'm not a huge pub-girl. but I *am* a huge cafe-girl, and I'm perfectly okay with doing readings both for friends and for clients in cafes. Sometimes people watch, sometimes they don't.

The horse has bolted, I'd say, but get yourself some business cards cards printed, and always have a dozen or so with you. If you read publicly again and someone shows an interest, give them a card. And ask the venue if you can leave a little pile of cards on their counter. Most places will be happy to. Go back every so often and top them up.

Hey that sounds like a great idea Nisaba we initially wanted to see peoples reactions first i think they did realize what we were doing with the cards, the pub is not that big but enough to have people join in and have some readings it was fun just showing people the cards and the layout spreads on the table. :)

Chimera Dust

I've done this before, for friends. Sometimes bars, pubs, or cafes are just the most convenient places to sit and read while having a drink. :) I've only ever done this in places where I knew it would be fine, but if you think there might be any trouble over it, it's probably a good idea to ask the owners beforehand.

I have no idea how you'd go about making that a regular event at the bar, exactly. I assume you'd just talk to them and explain what you do, then negotiate terms if they're interested.

Grizabella

The problem with reading in pubs for me is kind of related to my own addiction problem. I've been sober long enough that I don't froth at the mouth and pull hair when I can't drink, but I find that I don't enjoy the boozey breath all around. There's always on obnoxious drunk, too, it seems like, who wants to be confrontational in a busy pub. Reading for people in varying degrees of "messed up" is almost sad to me, knowing that many of them may not even remember the next day what the cards said to them. And cards are very honest----if someone has a drinking problem, it could show in the cards and I'd rather not be the bearer of that news. So I just don't go there. But cafes and other places that are public are fine, so long as the management is okay with it and the timing is right.

Luna-Ocean

I've done this before, for friends. Sometimes bars, pubs, or cafes are just the most convenient places to sit and read while having a drink. :) I've only ever done this in places where I knew it would be fine, but if you think there might be any trouble over it, it's probably a good idea to ask the owners beforehand.

I have no idea how you'd go about making that a regular event at the bar, exactly. I assume you'd just talk to them and explain what you do, then negotiate terms if they're interested.

We did think Sunday evenings were probably the more quieter times for business we got there about 7.30pm and stayed until closing time the owner of the pub glanced over a number of times, i need to ask the owner if they would want me to pay for taking up a table but i never thought that i should charge people for doing readings?

Luna-Ocean

The problem with reading in pubs for me is kind of related to my own addiction problem. I've been sober long enough that I don't froth at the mouth and pull hair when I can't drink, but I find that I don't enjoy the boozey breath all around. There's always on obnoxious drunk, too, it seems like, who wants to be confrontational in a busy pub. Reading for people in varying degrees of "messed up" is almost sad to me, knowing that many of them may not even remember the next day what the cards said to them. And cards are very honest----if someone has a drinking problem, it could show in the cards and I'd rather not be the bearer of that news. So I just don't go there. But cafes and other places that are public are fine, so long as the management is okay with it and the timing is right.

There were actually a group of rowdy football supporter's in the next room one of the things that i was worried about was my table being knocked over with drink all over my cards, but it was mainly a nice friendly atmosphere and we didn't get bothered once so we decided this could be a good pub to do readings.

I had also thought how honest should i be in giving very personalized readings there is always a possibility that someone could take it the wrong way after having a few drinks?

headincloud

Hi I went to a pub for a reading once but she was so busy I didn't get there early enough, she was offering mini readings not sure if they were 20 min but 'walk in only' so first come first served. Simply a log sheet of names on the bar which anyone could add to and she had a runner responsible for organizing people, getting the next client in and apologising to those who didn't manage to, she also circulated and dropped cards left right and centre so I assume they used it for publicity because she didn't stay there long, probably didn't need to once she'd built a client base but obviously there must have been down sides.

Perhaps it's a case of why pay rent if you can accommodate people at home or perhaps the alcohol didn't mix that well with tarot and it's so much easier to read in your own environment where you can chill out as opposed to a mobile service where their dog won't stop barking and the neighbour asks you to move the car half way through :( not real problems by any stretch but she had the choice to leave and she did.

The reader wasn't in the pub itself but hired a private room upstairs which worked quite well because in a social setting people didn't mind waiting yet she still had privacy, I can't think of many other set ups where you could leave clients waiting like that, mostly they were groups of intrigued women who'd heard about her by word of mouth myself included and what a great excuse for a girls night out, reading or no reading.

Possibly a different corner of the market too because very few people were alone so these may have been the dabblers, the intrigued but not the confirmed and committed who book solo although many potential clients possibly evolved to that status after seeing her in a group setting. She was also frowned upon by some who weren't there to see her but that may just be the judgemental mentality of some welsh people and they must be excused.

Judging from others fb her readings were accurate but not mind bending, she simply read cards but I guess if you can learn to do it well that's all you need, it certainly worked for her as a stepping stone, I think if that's where your intuition's pulling you go for it cos I doubt you've much to loose, if the worst comes to the worst then you get a pint spilt over your cards but no doubt you've got more than one so what the hell! best of luck