crystal study Group; obsidian

Minotauro

Mino, your observations on the Obsidian are very interesting - I can see that you really love this stone, your passion for it is obvious! That is awesome - a great connection. I have to go look for the pic of your pendant now :)

Also, Mino, I just saw your post quoting mine about Obsidian perhaps rebelling against being carved. I am really interested to hear what you say about this, because I do have marble and agate that have been carved into animals, and they seem fine with it - whereas the obsidian definitely felt to me like it did NOT want to be depicting anything at all.

DownwardS, LOL @ your comment about little gods running around on the loose! Hahahahaha!
:D Also very cool about the cat :)

Frac_ture, good point about keeping absorbing stones clean...one can easily forget that.
thank you , I just really do feel a connection to it , like its a piece of my past , a connection to my roots

and well it has always been carved , but at least here in mexico , it wasnt used for statues , or decartion , it was either a ritual , hunting, crafting or war tool. mirrors and flints and needles and masks.

perhaps it doesnt like to be a random aztec guy hahaha or a decorative piece. if it is a strong and powerfull stone , maybe it wants to be used and worked with. sitting on a shelf its not its thing? haha

I think it would be a great jaguar X) haha but I like my pendant because it is like a small mirror haha

Minotauro

Oh, yes, I have seen the Snowflake ones - really pretty! :) In my crystal bible it says that the Snowflake one is good for making wise decisions, and for releasing bitterness or anger. It is also said to melt frozen emotions, and make the heart warmer ;)

Interesting about the harsh truths thing....maybe that is why Obsidian is related to Capricorn...Capricorn is governed by Saturn, the "Harsh Taskmaster", and is a cold-ish sign. Although myself I have found Capricorns to be in general very nice and practical people, calm and balanced :)

Maybe Empath can add some thoughts about that, being a Capricorn!

I have a small donut like pendant of snowflake obsidian , but I preffer the regular one X) haha , and obsidian is down to earth , grownding stone so the practical balanced people seem to fit in with the obsidian relating to capricorn theory. haha

Padma

thank you , I just really do feel a connection to it , like its a piece of my past , a connection to my roots

and well it has always been carved , but at least here in mexico , it wasnt used for statues , or decartion , it was either a ritual , hunting, crafting or war tool. mirrors and flints and needles and masks.

perhaps it doesnt like to be a random aztec guy hahaha or a decorative piece. if it is a strong and powerfull stone , maybe it wants to be used and worked with. sitting on a shelf its not its thing? haha

I think it would be a great jaguar X) haha but I like my pendant because it is like a small mirror haha

I think you are on to something there, Mino - what caught my eye was "perhaps it doesn't like to be a random Aztec guy or a decorative piece" - I think you may have nailed it there. If it was always used as a tool, then most likely it prefers to be functional and practical (much like Capricorn! lol) and not be wasted as a useless tourist merchandise piece, or a pretty but useless decoration. Just my two cents, but I think that really resonated. If you work with and love Obsidian very much, then surely you must have a deep intuitive feel for it...that's why I think you are right!

earl

So what is the difference between an Apache Tear from a normal black obsidian?

I have a black obsidian that seems to be translucent. When light is directed to it, it seems like a brown glass.

Here is what it looks like: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/img5741b.jpg/

I put it beside me when I sleep on days that I feel so stressed out or if something bad happened to me during the day. And I wake up feeling all better.

Minotauro

So what is the difference between an Apache Tear from a normal black obsidian?

I have a black obsidian that seems to be translucent. When light is directed to it, it seems like a brown glass.

Here is what it looks like: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/img5741b.jpg/

I put it beside me when I sleep on days that I feel so stressed out or if something bad happened to me during the day. And I wake up feeling all better.

apache tears have a creamy perlite center ;)
haha well in a nutshell they are just that, a perlite core surrounded by obsidian or obsidian with a perlite core.

perlite is also the mineral that gives snowflake obsidian its snowflake patterns .

the legend says that when the apache warriors lost a war , their wives cried and when their tears touched the ground they became those pebles ,

yes obsidian is sort of translucent sometimes , depending on the width and many diferent things ,they are volcanic glass after all . they range from black to red to borwn.

PSD ; I love all your crystals :)

Minotauro

I think you are on to something there, Mino - what caught my eye was "perhaps it doesn't like to be a random Aztec guy or a decorative piece" - I think you may have nailed it there. If it was always used as a tool, then most likely it prefers to be functional and practical (much like Capricorn! lol) and not be wasted as a useless tourist merchandise piece, or a pretty but useless decoration. Just my two cents, but I think that really resonated. If you work with and love Obsidian very much, then surely you must have a deep intuitive feel for it...that's why I think you are right!

aw you alwayts make me feel proud of my love for obsidian X) haha I really do hope obsidian feels as comfortable with me as I feel with it , haha.

and at leats I dont really have any desire for an obsidian random aztec dude , haha.

Empath111

well its diferent for everybody ,as I mentioned it is truth enhancing, it makes you see hard truths that you or people around you may not have wanted to know because it suposedly makes you a little bit " harsh" wich is why it is said to help those with soft hearts , it helps you deal with said issues , same with feelings , problems, inner weaknesses, and undesirable traits are forced into recognition and dealt with , wich could be painfull, maybe thats why the god I mentioned is related to discord. and for example as I said when Im wearing this pendant , no other stone really seems to work well , it repels ( or as some people have said , maybe absorb) any kind of enery , I think I heard someone say headaches , Im not sure about that one. it is said to embody the energy of the volcano , wich is why it may bee too strong

a more gentle option but with the same properties would be snowflake obsidian wich didnt cool as fast as regular obsidian and so developed small mineral growth wich look like snowflakes.
Thank you :) I never knew what it meant to be "too strong" - so I remembered and when I was on my way to work wouldn't put it in my pocket. Interesting about how it interacts with other stones too.
I *might* have snowflake obsidian- will have to really search what I have as I used to know everything I bought :) So thanks for that tip. Maybe a way to ease in towards obsidian? I'd have to be careful maybe - those negative traits I can pick up on pretty easily - which makes it harder to ground/protect (especially if I'm working closely (hands-on) with patients. .. I might fall over if I had one on me- LOL!!! :D A n explosion of negativity! haha
But inner truths - it might be a way of cleansing - getting to the root of stuff. I could use that. Thanks for the info:)!

DownwardSpiral

I wonder how many people buy those obsidian carved Gods only to get rid of them? Also this makes me think maybe a carved arrow sitting on the shelf might offer some protection for the house.

I've carried my obsidian palm stone in my pocket for a few days in a row and it must mix well with my energy because I don't remember it affecting my mood in any way or being too strong. Maybe it could also be because there's alot of negativity where I work...so possibly it brought some balance to the situation. I did notice at work since carrying protective stones (as I alternated obsidian with other stones) that management finally seemed to back off. Since I've been working with other crystals I've been leaving my obsidian at home and I've already had a few problems with my supervisor.

Ahaha maybe that's why I see the scarecrow face in my obsidian...he's there to scare all that is bad away : )

Padma

what I find so fascinating about the Obsidian is that the stone is so personal to its owner, like, it is meant to only have the one person that it works with - i guess till that person is gone?

Do any of you think that if you bought a used Obsidian, it would not work properly...?

Empath111

I wonder how many people buy those obsidian carved Gods only to get rid of them? Also this makes me think maybe a carved arrow sitting on the shelf might offer some protection for the house.

I've carried my obsidian palm stone in my pocket for a few days in a row and it must mix well with my energy because I don't remember it affecting my mood in any way or being too strong. Maybe it could also be because there's alot of negativity where I work...so possibly it brought some balance to the situation. I did notice at work since carrying protective stones (as I alternated obsidian with other stones) that management finally seemed to back off. Since I've been working with other crystals I've been leaving my obsidian at home and I've already had a few problems with my supervisor.

Ahaha maybe that's why I see the scarecrow face in my obsidian...he's there to scare all that is bad away : )
That is great it absorbed the negativity!
Lotus Padma said:
what I find so fascinating about the Obsidian is that the stone is so personal to its owner, like, it is meant to only have the one person that it works with - i guess till that person is gone?

Do any of you think that if you bought a used Obsidian, it would not work properly...?
I'm not sure - was always curious why it came with a caution message. Interesting what Minotauro said as that explanation.
That's a good thought it could react differently to each person...