abt the magican

Dexter

Wow!!

I see the bird and the word DIN and I agree with the mountains but I'm not sure of the middle image. To me it looks like aboat with sail moving out of clouds.

By the way I'm looking at this with a pair of magnifying glasses. They're called Optivision Magnifiers and their used for very intricate wiring etc. My mother gave them to me because I do really fine cross stitch work. These magnifiers give the cards an amazing depth preception. It is almost a 3 D effect. The red on the magicians robe and red flowers stand out from the card.

By the way on the right hand table edge its not solid black, there is another image there. Still trying to work that out.

Dexter

Aha!!!

Found the boat. Same boat as on the 2 of Pentacles right hand side. Billowing sail. Again water or air, the sail filled or the clouds?

tmgrl2

Hi Dexter....I agree with you...I looked again on the corner Right around the side from the dove and the possible DIN? There is a small image when blown up (made up of red dots) that looks like it could be a boat...is that the image you mean? The DIN looks more like DIN until you magnify it...then it's composite breaks up..this is a fun thread....looking at things in greater detail...boat with sails could fit idea of 4 elements....air? air/water?

TemperanceAngel

OMG this is such a great thread! I was thinking about The Magician being the seed and perhaps those tiny images are symbolic or represent the seed.....
XTAX

TemperanceAngel

mac22 said:
DIN is an alternative name for the Sephira Geburah (e.g., see Scholem: Major Trends p 263). In Holy Kabballah (p 427) Waite associates Geburah with gold, in the sense of the end of an alchemical operation. So perhaps the Din is to suggest that the Magician is an Alchemist.

Transmutations is part of what this card is about as I see it. :)
Just in case newcomers haven't read the whole thread, here is the DIN connection ;) XTAX

tmgrl2

Seed? Hm...fits in with elements and "tool" for growth? TA, does it look like the whole thing is something....? Could it be a boat?
Think the DIN is that DIN...I like to think of the alchemy connection. Since Magician is a "masculine" card...does anyone know how sulphur would connect (connected with Sun (Father)
whereas SALT (Moon/Mother) and Son (Stars/Mercury)? Maybe a quick lesson on alchemy ? thanks

Moonbow

I have a confession (hmmm.... reminds me of a thread I once knew!). Until today I have never looked at a RWS deck in the flesh.... I have had the Universal Waite since christmas and thought it was about time I looked at it.

This is a great thread, I can see the table leg, bird, just about make out DIN (but not Diana's DIN.... NER) and I think the symbol next to the bird could be flames!!! Huh? eh? What do you think?
Could it be the bird representing air, the mountains and river representing earth and water and then....flames....

tmgrl2

What's great about all the interpretations is that the card offers so many options, albeit tiny ones....I think the dove is clearly a dove, the DIN is a DIN...the mountains? could be water, could be mountains....I like the idea of the mountain that the Fool (if one looks at this as the beginning of the Q's journey) as the mountain the Q will have to climb..the mountain of learning, obstacles, searching, action, meditation...before he reaches the developed World card...if the other one IS a boat, then we have the water. But still can't figure out the one that looks like "frog with glasses" (heh-heh, read the whole thread to have fun) or the crocodile...I have this feeling it's like that picture of the woman where you have to look closely at the black and white portions to tease out the two different pictures...someone will get it.....terri

TemperanceAngel

tmgrl2 said:
Since Magician is a "masculine" card...does anyone know how sulphur would connect (connected with Sun (Father)
whereas SALT (Moon/Mother) and Son (Stars/Mercury)? Maybe a quick lesson on alchemy ? thanks
Now, the Magician being Masculine is a debateable topic and one not really for this thread. But there is a thread in Using Tarot Cards about the Masculine and Feminine Cards ;) XTAX

tmgrl2

Thanks! Will read.....