The Pictorial Key to the tarot

Zephyros

How important is this book for understanding the deck and its clones?

I mean' it explains the cards, but barely any of the symbolism.

Lee

I think it's interesting from a historical perspective to read about what Waite had to say about the deck he created, but I'm rather skeptical about how valuable this book is in terms of learning to read with the cards or developing an understanding of them.

The two most striking characteristics of his book, from my perspective, are a) the ponderous, pompous and hard-to-understand writing, and b) the fact that Waite felt restricted in what he could say by his oaths to various occult societies of which he was a member, the result of which is a book which contains a lot of words but imparts very little useful information. Thus, the book is not useful if one wants to know how people read tarot at the time the book was written, nor is it useful, because of its age, if one wants to understand modern approaches to the tarot.

However, as I say, it's worth reading for little interesting tidbits here and there. But I wouldn't rely on it as my sole source of information.

EDITED TO ADD: Another striking characteristic is that one of Waite's priorities seems to be making catty remarks about other tarot authors, most of whose work will not be familiar to modern readers. Again, not terribly useful.

-- Lee

CreativeFire

Hi closrapexa

Lee has given an excellent response in regards to this book.

I bought it when I first started getting into RW type decks, to hopefully gain more info specifically in regards to the symbology on the cards.

However I have been very disappointed with this book, has a little bit of interesting info, but I rarely take it off the shelf anymore. Every time I used to notice something different in the cards I would get it out - but would come away still not knowing and sometimes even more confused by his writing style :)

CreativeFire

Chronata

Yes Yes! What Lee said! :D

This book mostly just frustrates me...as I hope to read some sensible straight forward discussions on symbolism...and instead get the deeply esoteric gobbeldy gook.

Depending on your detective skills,and your knowledge of obscure occult references, it does ocassionally merit some enlightening thoughts.

However,I wouldn't recommend it for a beginners study of the RWS.

(Lee...one of my favorite things about this book is Waite's little catty remarks about other authors and ex GD's! I find it hilarious! even in the Preface, he just can't help himself!)

Centaur

Lee said:
EDITED TO ADD: Another striking characteristic is that one of Waite's priorities seems to be making catty remarks about other tarot authors, most of whose work will not be familiar to modern readers. Again, not terribly useful.

I thought some of his remarks were hilarious. LOL.

Closrapexa, I think that if you wish to read it, then you should browse the free online version, at:-

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/pkt/index.htm

And there are also other free tarot texts here:-

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/index.htm

Including Tarot of the Bohemians.

Happy reading!

C

Umbrae

In the winter, wood is an important ingredient for fires - which are necessary to stay warm (and keep your cards dry).

The Pictorial Key to the Tarot is a wonder tinder item to get the wood to catch flame.

I highly recommend it – a few pages and you’ve got a nice pyre…

Useful? For learning Tarot no, for fire starter, essential.

VGimlet

Heh heh heh Umbrae, you know, as a long time library employee I can never encourage the burning of written materials, but in this case....no, still can't quite do it.

I suggest if someone feels they must take a look at it that they check it out from the library - for free. If your local library doesn't have it, try and get them to inter-library loan it. For free. I would not spend good, hard earned money for it, just my 1/2 cent.

Although interesting from a historical perspective, and more for what Waite doesn't say than what he does. (Could he BE anymore boring???)

Shalott

Just got it recently and, whereas I'm glad to have it, I don't know if it's something I want to read from cover-to-cover. (Except now I want to read the catty remarks!) Just for additional insight on a particular card when reading something by Joan Bunning or "The Idiot's Guide."I kind of look at his seeming verbosity as just a reflection of the formality of the times, whereas now, making things accessible is more highly valued. I mean, like, Sherlock Holmes stories often say: "...," said he. Rather than: "...," he said, which is the only way we say this today. It's slightly easier going that The Federalist Papers...eh.

TemperanceAngel

Lee said:
I think it's interesting from a historical perspective to read about what Waite had to say about the deck he created, but I'm rather skeptical about how valuable this book is in terms of learning to read with the cards or developing an understanding of them.
Yes, I agree with Lee, I only acquired the book myself of recent. I saw it in a second hand book shop and snapped it up! XTAX