Six of Swords

rhinoa

This is one of the few I find hard to interpret on a constant level. TO me it represents travel on one hand but the water being still on one side and wavy on theother suggests trouble, perhaps taking your problems with you and not leaving them behind.

What do you think? Any ideas would definately be appreciated on this one.

Fulgour

hello rhinoa

We often post our thoughts in other forums since
Pamela Colman Smith is universally spoken here.
There are some very good responses to be found,
among which you may specially enjoy MeeWah's.

Talking Tarot Forum: Don't Rock the Boat: 6 of Swords

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=37661
click here for thread on "RWS" 6 of Swords

Sulis

Some thoughts on the 6 of Swords

Since swords represent thoughts and the mind I often interpret this card as meaning moving from one frame of mind to another.
Moving to a clearer or more objective viewpoint.
A card of being able to think clearly - the swords are over the water - emotions are not allowed to muddle your thoughts.

Moving from a bad situation to a better one.

I very rarely see this card as indicating travel.

On the other hand if the card is reversed then one interpretation would be letting your heart rule your head as the water is now the element on top.

Love

Sulis xx

Cascade

Hi Rhinoa

Somewhere on this forum someone defined the 6 Swords so well for me at the time I was opening a new store. I wrote it in my journal but I don't know how to send you to the link. Maybe the mod. does. 6 of swords-going through the void. The void occurs when you are letting go of an aspect of your personality self that no longer fits who you are becoming. It represents a new level of surrendering your personality to the guidance of your higher self; it is the birth of a new part of your higher self into this reality. You will experience the void again again as you grow. In this state you may feel your life is changing rapidly, something new is coming, or your foundation are falling away, leaving you nothing solid to hang onto. You may feel something is happening inside, but not feel or see any changes in your life. yet Transitions- the swords in the boat show that regardless of who you are in the boat, don't forget you are taking your problems, situations with you. This transition isn't going to make it any better, only different. When you get to the next place you are going,you can work on the problems again. Just realize that the move isn't going to "fix" what is wrong. It will only help to bring a different perspective, or even make it easier to work out. I wish I could put this in quotes but I don't know who to Kudo. If the moderator could just include the link instead of such a long post I'd be happy. Thanks

psychic sue

I agree with the other posts, but my 2 pennys worth is:

I think this card can be a card for actual physical travel.

But, as you say, it can represent moving on, but taking your past experience with you. If you look at the card, the boat is not weighed down by the swords - this represents, for me, that you have learned from your past experience and are taking that knowledge with you - not emotional baggage.

I also think that sometimes we are the woman on the boat - being made to move on whether we want to or not, and sometimes we are the punter - making the conscious decision to move on - dependent upon the circumstances.

Also note that there are waves on the right hand bottom of the boat, but the rest of the sea is calm - again representing choppy past experiences, but moving on to calmer waters.

Sue x

Fulgour

Hi Cascade

Cascade said:
...but I don't know how to send you to the link. Maybe
the mod. does. 6 of swords-going through the void...
The forum here where the thread was posted and by whom,
with the exact title used would be the best way to find it...
I would be happy to post a link here if you let me know. :)

Parzival

Sulis said:
Since swords represent thoughts and the mind I often interpret this card as meaning moving from one frame of mind to another.
Moving to a clearer or more objective viewpoint.
A card of being able to think clearly - the swords are over the water - emotions are not allowed to muddle your thoughts.

Moving from a bad situation to a better one.

I like the vision of "moving from one frame of mind to another." But the boat does travel from one side of the river to the other, over water, so it is a moment of transition/transformation, when past identity fades away before something vast and unknown, freeing yet mysterious. Two swords are near to the two travelers, with four before them, vertically clustered, the boat dark in front of the four swords. Possibly some fear of what is to come, along with the necessity of facing it. Where is their destination on the other side of the river? Here the psychic sense needs to visualize what soon comes, in the context of other cards in a reading, or in a meditation on the one card.

rhinoa

Thanks for your thoughts so far, some very interesting ideas there. The idea of movingon to calmer waters seems to ring true for me and having learnt from past experiences rather than being burdened by them so much is another aspect that struck home.

Elven

Hi Rhinoa - this card can be quite specific once you have formulated the interpretation. I think the drawing is one of the few I find specific.

Movement, slow and steady. Travelling with purpose. Moving on.

Direction - although I have always seen the boat slightly steered to the left side. The wavy current gently pushing against the boat. The mind in reservation but the course already set. The child and the tillerman looking to their left, heading towards the shore in the view on the card. A planned and steady course - being ferried in the safe hands of the tillerman, safely reaching the other side - solid ground.

I see the swords as implanted in the boat as Mind Luggage.

I also see this card as being grey in its colours- not black and white. It is part of the journey, not the end of it.

Just some thoughts I had to share.

Hope it helps a bit

Elven x

cormac

Fulgour said:
We often post our thoughts in other forums since
Pamela Colman Smith is universally spoken here.
There are some very good responses to be found,
among which you may specially enjoy MeeWah's.

Talking Tarot Forum: Don't Rock the Boat: 6 of Swords

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=37661
click here for thread on "RWS" 6 of Swords

thank you fulgour for posting that link -- the six of swords has turned up in my spreads lately and there were so many nuances i had missed -- time to go review some readings :) -- thanks to all for their contributions