Disappointing print quality of Original RWS

Cerulean

Hello Chris, got a question...

Not certain if you have the blue booklet of your first Original and if the publishing date or copyright notice or small printing run indicators (the numbers on the page that might vary from 1-14 or such) differ...if you do, does your first booklet on the Original give a notice date of the first printing?

I have two sets of the Original to compare...I think one bought in 2000 and one bought in 2005.

I didn't keep the blue booklet... and I remember buying one recently in 2005 (it was actually free, as the independent bookstore will have a card that after 11 purchases, they give you a free product that equals the averages of the listed purchases).

Anyway, like you, I was fascinated with how the coloring Vice-Versa/New Vision looked with my older Original paired for comparison...waiting on the New Vision book order now...with your post, I'll try to compare print quality and coloring. For some reason, I'm not certain I remember the Turquoise vs. Lime Green difference, it was more a lighter mint...

Cerulean who really should keep Little Blue Books...

The 78th Fool

A large portion of my collection has gone into storage with my parents due to a pending house move next year. I'll be going home in a coulpe of weeks so I'll check the relevant LWB's for print date info etc. If I get a chance while I'm there I'll post a couple of comparative scans too.

Chris. xx

MareSaturni

You should try the Radiant or the Universal RWS. Those have very clean pictures, all colourful. They are re-drawn versions, don't forget - Pamela Smith's drawing had thick lines, more or less coloring and so on.

Well, i only own one RWS deck and it happens to be the Original RWS. It was a gift, a very welcome one because i was a tarot reader/student without any RWS :O
Now, i always defend this deck because i've seen it called 'ugly' and 'disappointing' many times. I know decks are a matter of personal choice, but i also think that people are used to colouful decks and simply don't give this one a chance. I know that when you compare it with the US Games 1971 deck it does look like the copy of the copy but it isn't that terrible once you make your eyes get used to it :)
I personally think it's lack of colour is...beautiful in it's own way, despite of the cards hard to see such as the King/Pents. It triggers my imagination, but that's *me*, of course.

What i'm trying to tell you is to not belittle this deck without trying it first. If in the end you decide it's really unusable, then you can trade it or keep for collection purpouses.

Hope you find the deck you are looking for :)

~Yuko