7 of swords...what does it mean to you?

crazy raven

Seven of Swords

I have very often seen this card as someone who often remove themselves from the frays of the "common man" to maintain their dignity and privacy. To others, it seems they're need for privacy can appear to be secrecy or aloofness, and this misunderstanding can make them difficult to get to know or even approach at times.

Their intellect is so active that they often astound others with their unusual perspectives and insights. For a Seven of Swords there seems to be no acceptable answers, or from having to endure environments, people, or situations which go against their dignified grain. When a querent represents this seven very often, their quest for answers seems only to produce more questions. But isn't that the basis of higher intelligence? Answering questions with questions until the truth is uncovered?

Abrac

squeakmo9,

interesting point. He does seem to be in a bit of a hurry, and has either overlooked two swords, or put them on the back burner for the time being. The hilt of one of the swords he's carrying appears to be hitting one of the other two swords, so it's difficult to imagine he's not aware of them. To me it almost loooks as if he's looking back at them and making mental notes in case he wants to return for them later.

ff

Seaqueen

Notes from my 1 card draw Tarot journal 2003. Using Robin Wood Tarot.

-I allowed myself to get carried away with the written words of other people-holding the 3 swords across my heart

-There is some information missing or I am not seeing it -it's back in the tent

-there is a way out, no sneaking necessary -see the stone step on side of fence

-the strongest swords were left behind, pay attention to the back field players who are not visible -at the tent

wandking

It's a bit sinister no matter who writes the copy

Crowley says "
MEANINGS ACCORDING TO ALEISTER CROWLEY
CARD NAME – FUTILITY
The Seven of Swords is called Futility. This is a yet weaker card than the Seven of Wands. It has a passive sign instead of an active one, a passive planet instead of an active one. It is like a rheumatic boxer trying to "come back" after being out of the ring for years. Its ruler is the Moon. The little energy that it possesses is no more than dream-work; it is incapable of the sustained labour, which alone, bar miracles, can bring any endeavour to fruition. The comparison with the Seven of Wands is most instructive. There is, therefore, a modifying influence; this is accentuated by the celestial rule of the Moon in Aquarius. The intellectual wreckage of the card is not so vehement as the Five. There is vacillation, a wish to compromise, a certain toleration. In certain circumstances, the results may be more disastrous than ever. This naturally depends upon the success of the policy. This is always in doubt as long as there exist violent, uncompromising forces, which take it as a natural prey. This card, like the Four, suggests the policy of appeasement. The symbol shows six Swords with their hilts in crescent formation. Their points meet below the centre of the card, impinging upon a blade of a much larger up-thrusting sword, as if there were a contest between the many feeble and the one strong. He strives in vain."

I really like the name he gave the card and his astrology appears sound... here's how I apply it to RWS symbolism:

THE SEVEN OF SWORDS
A double edge that slices through this suit, carves out treacherous symbolism in the Seven of Swords. This card suggests that you may be either the perpetrator or victim of deception. Although not assuring a successful outcome, the Seven of Swords usually refers to clandestine plans employing guile and deceit. This is the card of a con artist, thief or trickster. Treacherous people usually work alone, fearing that the incompetence of others will interfere with their secretive endeavors. In adopting aloof attitudes, deceitful individuals eventually deceive even themselves. The Seven of Swords occasionally represents avoiding the truth or dodging responsibility. Betrayal on this seven, however, generally refers to another person, who robs you of material or emotional assets. When deception creeps into realms of the heart it often pilfers treasures cash can never replace. Compounding dualism of the suit with personal duplicity, this card hints that you can also act as a trickster.

Orange heavens, unusual in a suit of steel-gray sky, perhaps convey a persuasive act of intellect with an image that reflects larceny. Stealing represents a perilous enterprise but robbing an army, as on the Seven of Swords, adds to the risk. In a seven of subterfuge, "futility" emerges from an act of deception, which is unrivaled in Tarot. Confidence schemes with evil design characterize the Seven of Swords but it can also show occasions when clever diplomacy can offer more success than a direct approach. Waite/ Smith versions of the seven show a thief hauling away his loot. In leaving two swords, the figure achieves only partial success, which also implies an illusion of achievement often shown by the card. Energy of this seven emanates from a Moon in Aquarius, suggesting problems with inter-personal relationships, which reinforces the negative meanings.

In numerology, seven signifies an individual and a lone thief on this card certainly takes individuality to the extreme. Seven is a path of the reserved thinker. Often misunderstood because they fail to communicate, a person who numerically reduces to seven often engages in reflective deliberation. In the Swords story, keeping silent and introspective planning become traits of frauds and charlatans. In numerology, the seventh life-path is a route toward diplomatic discretion. Sir Isaac Newton said, “Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.” Patience and an ability to assimilate knowledge, both useful values of a seven, may also serve bandits and other social outcasts. Many qualities of an individual who reduces to seven diverge from meanings of this card, especially a lack of confidence, which plagues seven: “Con” derives from the word confidence. On the positive side, although an excessive imagination is challenging, people who reduce to seven often possess psychic abilities. As an Aquarian Moon powers this card, it compounds all intuitive inferences. Ignoring psychic implications when this card appears with The High Priestess in a spread is a mistake because it might suggest you intuitively know when tact becomes useful. Determination in overcoming obstacles, a trait of the seven, contributes to diplomatic meanings. Symbolism deals with analysis of the unseen, another important theme of this seventh path of the Swords saga.

A final explanation for the Seven of Swords, not obviously associated with symbolism, is uncertainty. It tends to challenge your entire ethical system when you employ clearly immoral measures to succeed, or if positive actions place you in danger. When you concede standards to achieve goals, you should either revise morals or reassess goals – likely the latter. Enlightened cultures generally frown upon a Machiavellian notion that an end justifies the means. Appalling attitudes in the Seven of Swords rarely present reasonable options. Like other cards, the Seven of Swords offers lessons. Unethical success of another person provides a pattern of what to avoid in the future. Inversely, as your dishonesty becomes obvious it might teach you that deception tends to define your character while rarely bringing success in the final analysis. Carl Jung said, “It is only our deeds that reveal who we are.”

I like offering life-path numerology and lessons, letting each card become a teacher of sorts... I hope it helps.

crazy raven

Fantastic analogy!

Wow! A-1! wandking, I just read your post! Now I must go back and absorb all you've captured so descriptively I might add.

Do you think that 7's (especially the sword) are faced with many heartbreaks?

Interested on your take on this, thanks!!!

firefrost

How about an acute business acumen? Clear, sharp thinking to coax others into seeing things your way? I don't think this guy really wants or needs the swords - he could have carried them all away if that was so. He just wanted to outwit his opponents. I think he's creeping quietly away because of the saying "Get out while you're on top"!

Jan :)