Lo Scarabeo Encyclopaedia on Kickstarter

gregory

Sell on. No brainer. Or be one of those kind people who gives things away in a thread. :love: })
Always ask the gregory. She will make the tough decisions for you. In her own best interests....

IreneCroft

Another question about content...

Now when I know that Tarot Fundamentals is an updated and "upgraded" version of the
Partwork I'll be waiting for the book with even greater enthusiasm! I've always had some prejudice against translations...

But now I have another question about theoretical part of the book. It concerns the correspondences between Suits and the Four Humors (the four temperaments). In our (Russian) version of the Partwork was stated that the Wands (Fire) are melancholic and the Pentacles (Earth) are choleric. That statement caused heated debates in our community.

So I'd like to know if there will be more theory about these correspondences in the Tarot Fundamentals. Will there be alternative points of view? Some explanation about the reasons behind these correspondences? Some theory about the temperaments? Or maybe that theme will be discussed in the future volumes of the encyclopedia (as with Myers–Briggs Types)?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Chrystella

I'm excited about this project. I'm a big fan of crowdfunding. I think it's a great model - an age-old model of arts patronage, where artists go directly to their audiences to fund their work. Part of the reason it works is because of the emotional response crowdfunding solicits. People feel like they are part of the process and they share in its creation and success. That Lo Scarabeo is a major publishing company doesn't matter. Amanda Palmer, Whoopi Goldberg, Bret Easton Ellis, and lots of other big names have used Kickstarter to produce their work.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Lo Scarabeo. I don't love their decks. Still, I appreciate them as a company and I think this project is awesome. Maybe it will inspire Stuart Kaplan to do the next volume of his encyclopaedia. I pledged and then upped my pledge when a new level was released. I'm excited. It can't happen soon enough.

RiccardoLS

But now I have another question about theoretical part of the book. It concerns the correspondences between Suits and the Four Humors (the four temperaments). In our (Russian) version of the Partwork was stated that the Wands (Fire) are melancholic and the Pentacles (Earth) are choleric. That statement caused heated debates in our community.

Oooh... pretty specific question.
I need to check (and check first if it's not a translation problem). And go through the material to see if and how that part is developed.
I promise to get back to you with an answer (but I need time).
[Also, can you pm me a reference on page and issue of the Russian version, so I can check translation?]

Also remeber that - especially as the Stretch Goal of additional content has been reached - you can ask LS (better through the LS page) to focus the additional content on something.
I am not saying that it will be followed. But most certainly considered seriously.

gregory

Ric, will the other two volumes stand alone, for those who don't get the first? Asking here as the issue was raised here.

RiccardoLS

Yes.
All volumes will be stand alone.
But of course Volume II will not have anymore what's in volume I. (it will be given for granted).

gregory

Well, yeah. That's what stand alone does :D

AJ

will you explain what a stretch goal is?

All options of funding except the first include "+ all stretch goals"

gregory

They are down the page. The first - extra content 1 - has been funded. You can see where it says so. The next, I think, is where everyone also gets a bag; and last - to my sorrow as I want that most! is a hard cover. Everyone who gets a book will get all of these that are funded. Clearly if you don't buy a book you can't get extra pages etc.

RiccardoLS

The Streych Goal depend on how succesful the campaign is.
The more money is collected through kickstarter, the better/bigger the Volume will be.

Not to be confused with Pledge level, that depends on how much you contribute to the volume.

Aka:
at pledge level £14 you get a copy of the book
at pledge level £200 you get ... [list of stuff]
This depends ONLY on how much money you want to invest. On individual level.
The more you give, the more you get.

at £6000 the book is founded (this means that it will be done 100%)
at £8000 the book will be bigger (extra 32 pages)
at £10000 the book will have a Tarot Bag bonus
at £12000 other more pages
at £15000 the book will be hardcover

This depends on how much is collected as a whole, independently by what a single person has given.

It means that the same pledge (£14) will have the book, but if the campaign is succesful, for the same £14 the book will be bigger, hardcover, with tarot bag, etc...