Flornoy's Dodal

DrTodd

I have had wonderful dealings with Roxanne since last year and the new cards are on their way...

Can:t wait to get started....

Jodorowsky has a new book out as well...Tarot de Marseille is THE way to go!

Dr T

gregory

DrTodd said:
I have had wonderful dealings with Roxanne since last year and the new cards are on their way...

Can:t wait to get started....

Jodorowsky has a new book out as well...Tarot de Marseille is THE way to go!

Dr T
Er - there is a review of that book here somewhere that suggests the book is absolutely NOT the way to go.....

Yves Le Marseillais

Bound for TdM

gregory said:
Er - there is a review of that book here somewhere that suggests the book is absolutely NOT the way to go.....

Agreed with that re. this book.
But Tarot of Marseille is THE way to go for sure and I agree with Dr Todd about this important point.

Sooner or later you will go to TdM.

The point is: Witch one ?

YLM

eltarot78

Congratulations Jean Claude and Roxanne

one more on the way

I'm very happy, my Flornoy Dodal 78 and is on the way, the truth that makes me very anxious waiting.

By Jodorowsky's book, may sound petulant and misleading name like "Via del Tarot" is not the via, or not unique, since it's up to the via pass every one, but the point of view is a good tool to accompany our way, the problem I had is that a person is so seductive that one ends up believing, it difficult practically everything and then be able to separate what is true from what is not, after several years, I greatly appreciate your outlook on sexuality (and life is not just that:))
The same thing happened with the method Camoin, is not the only method, but it is good to include in the baggage thrown ways to build our own methods for reading (which will serve you well, and that no , too =)
Visions, methods, decks, with only one you can not:)

but this is another story, I am very anxious to read a Dodal78.

Greetings to all lovers of TdM.

Greg Stanton

gregory said:

I think I was the one who wrote that review...

However, I'm a practical, factual thinker, not mystically inclined in the slightest. Personally, I find burdening the clear and direct visual language of the early tarots with extra symbolism to be an appalling idea, and a misguided approach to using and reading the cards. The reason I use a Marseilles is because the readings are clear and precise. Astrological, Qabillistic, esoteric, non-related mythological and invented symbols applied to the cards only complicate readings and cause muddle and confusion. Jorodowsky filled out what he considered lacking with a whole personal system of invented symbols, though most people would be hard pressed to see anything outrageously different in his "restored" tarot, visually speaking. His analysis of the cards, however, is bizarre, deluded, and downright hilarious.

So yea, Marseilles is the way to go, but Jorodowsky's Marseilles is really just his own personal vision, and I think very little of what he says has anything to do with the early tarot.

I have been reading a nifty little book from 1988, OOP, called "Personality, Divination and the Tarot" by Carl Sargent. As with any book on the subject, you have to read judiciously -- but a lot of what he writes I concur with. The other book in English is called "The Authentic Tarot" by Thomas Saunders. I like this book, but it's got plenty of mysticism and some downright misinformation in it as well. The best book is the one Lee Bursten wrote to accompany Lo Scerobeo's Universal Marseilles.

le pendu

Greg Stanton said:
However, I'm a practical, factual thinker, not mystically inclined in the slightest. Personally, I find burdening the clear and direct visual language of the early tarots with extra symbolism to be an appalling idea, and a misguided approach to using and reading the cards. The reason I use a Marseilles is because the readings are clear and precise. Astrological, Qabillistic, esoteric, non-related mythological and invented symbols applied to the cards only complicate readings and cause muddle and confusion.

icon14.gif
Sticky!!
icon14.gif

~

That's what I love about the craftsmanship of the Flornoy decks, he tries not to change or "improve", but rather, he attempts to leave no signs of his work and simply give a faithful impression of the cardmaker's original lines and colours.

rox

Right on, Robert! Systems of interpretation belong to, or resonate with, those who espouse them. Since this edition, and the Noblet, add and eliminate nothing (well, we did eliminate some worm-holes), that factor is up for grabs.

Le Fanu

rox said:
Since this edition, and the Noblet, add and eliminate nothing...
But isn't the lettering added on the Flornoy Dodal? The original lettering for the card titles is not what appears on the Flornoy version. I'm intrigued as to why this is. I think the deck looks superb but that "too perfect" typeface stands out for me...

Bertrand

Le Fanu said:
But isn't the lettering added on the Flornoy Dodal? The original lettering for the card titles is not what appears on the Flornoy version. I'm intrigued as to why this is. I think the deck looks superb but that "too perfect" typeface stands out for me...
Hello Le Fanu,

the lettering on the latest version is quite different from the lettering on the previous handmade version, on the actual industrial version it is much more closer to the original Dodal, but most of the pictures you can see online are from the older handmade version with a slighlty different lettering. Even the not so horizontal lines above the text have been made extremely closer to what they are on the Dodal.

When you compare side by side the Flornoy with the Dusserre, you'll eventually notice that what at first sight might appear as a difference is in fact a more precise colouring, that the lines were a bit hidden by the colours in the Dusserre(BNF) version, the Flornoy edition makes them much more readable.

Bertrand

Le Fanu

Bertrand said:
but most of the pictures you can see online are from the older handmade version with a slighlty different lettering. Even the not so horizontal lines above the text have been made extremely closer to what they are on the Dodal
Thank you Bertrand! So good to know!