Tarot And Religion

LadySquee

I don't claim a certain religion, either, but my beliefs are close to Christianity.

Ever since I was young, at least beginning at 10 years old, I was fascinated with things such as spells and candle magic. Sneaking some books and reading about Wicca or reading on the internet, a lot of it struck a chord with me, but because of my family, I never really had a chance to keep up on it. By the age of 13 or 14, I believe it was on my birthday, I was at the mall alone with a friend and we stumbled into the only New Age shop I had ever seen. We were talking about Tarot cards next to the reading room, and we both were expressing our interest, but we both talked about religion and the effects it might have on us. The psychic overheard us and talked with us a bit about it, easing our fears. I believe it was a mix of wanting customers and probably frustration of people always condemning things they don't know about. Needless to say, I was sold and had been curious ever since, now almost 10 years later, I finally got a deck of my own!

Hopefully I haven't gone too off topic, but I had a very troublesome dream last night that immediately had me thinking to this thread when I woke up.

I am not Catholic, but in the dream my family called an intervention of sorts because of my hobby of Tarot. They brought in a nun, and although I can't remember everything that was said, they were condemning me, telling me I had lost my soul, and I was terrified they were going to lock me away. All throughout the dream, however, I felt they were wrong, they were getting so worked up over nothing and I couldn't believe them, they were condemning an innocent person! The Sister was doing all she could to convince me of my sins and it was plain scary.

If I had not had the feeling that they were wrong and had it not had anything to do with the Catholic religion, I might have seriously been jolted and reconsidered Tarot, but my gut was telling me they were wrong.

Man, I hope I don't have another dream like that.

Kenny

History Lesson: In the 4th century AD the Church (not sure if it had split by then) banned the practice of divination. If people want to know more I'll see if I can do a bit more research.

Me: I grew up a member of the Church of England, but a few years back I started to not so much lose faith, but lose interest in church. My mum and brother dislike my tarot (and other studies in that vain) but they accept it.

No major breakthrough for me, or the like, sadly.

SolSionnach

Alamaris said:
The funny thing? My shamanic teacher tried to exorcise me more than my Christian friends. How ironic is that? She was a little... off the wall when it came to tradition.

Hi Alamaris,
I'm struck by the inconsistency of your shamanic teacher - because (IIRC) most shamanic/nature-based/native cultures accept the LGBT person as someone with a particularly strong connection to the spirit world... a natural shaman.

I'm sorry that you have had such horrible experiences with so-called religious people. I call myself an Episcopagan, and there are many Episcopalian parishes that are extremely welcoming to LGBT folks. So not all Xtians are horrible. ;)

{{{Hugs}}}

SolSionnach

motsa said:
Perhaps Lexie meant "passive", not "pathetic"?
That's the way I read it, too.
Of course, fundies would find all of us pathetic, I'm afraid! LOL

SolSionnach

Okay, my story.
I grew up in a very bible-based, quasi-fundamentalist Lutheran church (lots of Lutherans are very liberal, this "synod" of the Lutheran church was most definitely NOT). I was terrified of sins and hell for years, before I fairly recently got to the point that I realized that I didn't believe in sins. (or hell, for that matter) })

Fast forward years later, the Pope (John Paul II) came to my city, and I was entranced by the Mass. I knew I couldn't become Catholic (too many problems with just about every dogma of that church), so I went for the Protestant equivalent: Episcopalian: you need not check you brain at the door of most Episcopalian churches. But eventually (marriage + divorce) I left that.

I found a very small, inclusive Lutheran church where the pastor was a WOMAN (yes!), and became good friends with her. She's the one who "gave me permission" to look at tarot, as I'd been very curious, but unable to let go of my fears about it. I bought my first deck on sale at a book store - it was the AGM white box small-size Thoth. I tried to work with it via the LB - that was hopeless! Then I found the tarot-l e-list, and my deck collection exploded! Whee! :p

Fast forward to today: I call myself an Episcopagan, but I'm really forging my own path. I am an acupuncturist now, so I work with healing energy. I'm very interested in Shamanism (thus my IDS with Ironwing Tarot). I find the divine feminine (Goddess) much more welcoming than any kind of God (after years in a religion that made women second-class citizens). I found years ago that Taoism met a strong need in me, with it's following of the cycles of Qi in nature, and what could be called eco-feminism speaks to my soul. I feel closest to the Divine in nature. I find the most solace in following the seasons and the phases of the moon - and am very interested in paleolithic religious practice (hence: Greenwood, Shining Woman). I studied Wicca and Thelema, but found nothing in either religion for me. I don't do spells at this time, who knows in the future!

Thanks for reading this tome. It was interesting for me to write it as a review of where I've been in the last 50 years. :)

ETA: how could I have forgotten Shinto! Now there's an obscure religious path that is really intriguing!

OrbWeaver

Baha'i, here. :)

I know the rules of this forum ask for more than just one line of text, but I'm really not sure what else to say about my chosen faith, and my ability to use tarot and oracle cards. I just happen to be a Baha'i who can read tarot. That's about it.

Alamaris

sravana said:
Hi Alamaris,
I'm struck by the inconsistency of your shamanic teacher - because (IIRC) most shamanic/nature-based/native cultures accept the LGBT person as someone with a particularly strong connection to the spirit world... a natural shaman.
Just a little clarification so folks don't get the wrong idea... she didn't want to exorcise me because I'm LGBT. :D She thought I had a negative spirit/entity in me that was causing my depression and anger, and after a very graphic and horrifying explanation of what I would likely experience in the "exorcism" (tongue turning black, screaming, cursing, losing control of my body), I said, "Nooo thank you!"

I left the course after that episode, needless to say.

As for the other point you mentioned -- I wonder if there's an online resource for finding LGBT friendly churches in one's area. I hear people saying they know of them or have heard of them, but I haven't located one yet. *lol*

Cheers!
- Alamaris

le pendu

Alamaris said:
As for the other point you mentioned -- I wonder if there's an online resource for finding LGBT friendly churches in one's area. I hear people saying they know of them or have heard of them, but I haven't located one yet. *lol*

Cheers!
- Alamaris

For Catholics there's Dignity:
http://www.dignityusa.org/

MCC is very popular with the LGBT community
http://www.mccchurch.org/

I think the Unitarians are pretty damned cool:
http://www.uua.org/visitors/justicediversity/6252.shtml

Grizabella

I missed something. What's LGBT?

le pendu

Lesbian, Gay, BiSexual, Transgendered

a wee bit off topic here... but now I will mention the Gay Tarot and Cosmic Tribe tarot (which has wonderful gay/lesbian/straight couples included as alternative choices)... and almost bring it back to topic again.

I personally would never support a religion that supports discrimination against me. I have no religious tolerance for intolerant religions... be it because of my love of tarot, my love of my boyfriend, or my love of Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons. (mooseophobes!!!) :)