Has anyone ever confronted you over reading in public?

celticnoodle

Shade said:
Oh and Lark that sounded like a very annoying experience. If you want to tell us which Denny's we can write a few upset letters.... possibly including dried bats or something ;-)
:p

well, funny thing just happened to me this morning. i go in every Tuesday to a clinic for an allergy shot, and today it was quite busy in the office. lots of people--mostly elderly there. I approached the receptionists desk to register in--and she mentioned something about my bill (i unfortunately always have problems with our current insurance company, they never seem to know what to charge me for visits. :rolleyes:) however, this particular charge was a valid one, and I proceeded to pay for it at this office rather then mail it in.

at any rate, talking ensued, and all of a sudden the electronics began to go haywire and not work, to which she said, "i don't understand this!" "I do", I told her, "I always have this effect on anything electronic. electronic things around me almost always won't work." anyway, she looked at me and laughed and said, "N**, are you psychic?" to which, i of course, answered honestly. "well, yes, as a matter of fact, I am." (though I don't think being psychic has anything to do with the electronic devices not working around me)

I could feel about 20prs of eyes from behind me from the people sitting in the chairs, (office is quite small) staring at me. the receptionist was caught off guard too, as she didn't expect that answer, but she was definitely intrigued. she then eagerly asked me, "Do you read tarot too???"

ME: "Yes, I do."
Her:"OH! Can I get a reading from you sometime?"
ME: "Of course! after my shot, I'll give you my information and you can contact me to set it up at your leisure."
HER: "WOW! That will be great!"

I then finished paying my 'bill' and went to find a seat, while the 20prs of eyes continued to watch me, an assortment of bewildered looks on their faces. :laugh: I'm sure I was or am the topic of discussion between all of them and their cronie friends/partners when they get home.....as well as the topic of discussion among the office workers there at the clinic. but, hey! I have at least one new customer (most likely) anyway! :D

Caedryn

nisaba said:
That presupposes that bats in your part of the world are patient enough to stand still enough to be towelled down ...

LOL...towelled down!!!

~ C

Caedryn

Glitterbird said:
I've had laughter and snickering. I would have rather had hostility I could have thought of a snappy come-back for that.}) But laughter? I asked if they wanted a reading...made them laugh harder.

I would have said..."I did a reading for each of you, but I guess you do not want to know about the nasty stuff that is on the way to you and what you can do to avoid it"...then have given them the cold hard stare, and left (laughing).

~ C

Caedryn

My wife (who learned tarot from me) was on the phone to her mother one day, and her mother asked her if she had read the cards that day for a certain issue. Well, the homecare worker there at the time freaked out and yelled out that those cards 'are the devil's tools'. My wife advised her mother not to ever say anything in front of others again. Now her mother is in a personal care home and still asks over the phone...so she gets some weird looks from nurses and staff when we walk in.

Devil's tools...funny...guess I'm the devil since she started into Tarot because I did it, and gave her, her first set of cards...ah well, my wife always said I am devilishly handsome.

~ C

Golden Moon

I've gotten thousands of stares, but those kind of stares that the person is telling, "Oh oh... me, me... I want one!" But yes, when people stare it does bother me in some ways. Also, there are some that look at me as if I'm putting on a show, a freak show.

celticnoodle

Caedryn said:
Devil's tools...funny...guess I'm the devil since she started into Tarot because I did it, and gave her, her first set of cards...ah well, my wife always said I am devilishly handsome.

~ C
:) how sweet!

the devils tools. i have to laugh at that, because i can recall when it was considered in poor taste if a woman wore pants. and my parents were often ridiculed for dressing me in long pants and sweat shirts as a child--but it was because I bruised so easily and have soft bones, so the dr. thought it may offer me a bit more protection. but the people in our neighborhood thought it was terrible that they dressed me like a little boy. :rolleyes:

then, there were the times where dancing and card playing of any kind was terrible--and at times punishable with a jail term and/or fine. :laugh:

crazy that in this day and age, some people will still judge others by how they dress, how they look, where they live, and the 'hobbies' or spiritual practices they have. :rolleyes:

Caedryn

how sweet!

Raises right eyebrow and wicked grin and says 'Devilishly Sweet'!

the devils tools. i have to laugh at that, because i can recall when it was considered in poor taste if a woman wore pants. and my parents were often ridiculed for dressing me in long pants and sweat shirts as a child--but it was because I bruised so easily and have soft bones, so the dr. thought it may offer me a bit more protection. but the people in our neighborhood thought it was terrible that they dressed me like a little boy.

For their second child (me) they wanted a girl...they got a boy, but for a least two years they let my hair grow long...and everyone thought I was a girl...funny!

crazy that in this day and age, some people will still judge others by how they dress, how they look, where they live, and the 'hobbies' or spiritual practices they have.

How very true! But, on the whole people are very judgemental of others.

~ C

cronegoddess54

That brought back some memories of a Halloween party we had many years ago....We had the kid's friends and all their parents there dressed in costume......quite a few individuals I did not know, and of course they knew me not at all. The house was trimmed to the fullest with webs, spiders, skeltons, creepy creatures, candles and even a cauldron that bubbled. The best part was I had set my breakfast nook up as a card readers room, the reading table, cloth and The Tarot of the Witches deck displayed with a spread "spooky" cards......Well....we did have a few freaked out people that gave me the "stare'. I over heard a woman say to her husband, "My gawd SHE takes this seriously."

nisaba

cronegoddess54 said:
The house was trimmed to the fullest with webs, spiders, ... creepy creatures, candles and even a cauldron that bubbled.
:bugeyed:

Whose house isn't like that all year round?

The spiders gotta live somewhere, and they might a well live where their webs won't get washed away by the rain and they'll eat things that might think about eating me.

What's a home without candles in every room?

And without a bubbling cauldron, how are you going to *eat*???

As to creepy creatures, do teenagers and invertebrates doing their usual Springtime Invasion count?

Sounds like a pretty ordinary house to me.

And I have kangaroo and bird bones around the place, too - real ones, not toy ones like your skeletons probably are.

<stifles grin>

I'm thinking of painting up one of my kangaroo femurs, and turning it into a Wand for myself. For real.

re-pete-a

Yes Nisaba , I can see a bone with a totem of invertebrates topped by a scorpion.

Perhaps your next outing with your cards could be accompanied by your wand, and if complained about , you can wave your club er wand and tell em all to hop off.

Both The Crowned One and myself have the advantage of being large males, though there has been the odd tut tut.