Treppner Course? or Melissa's Lenormand 101?

starlightexp

Hmmm shoot. I really wish it was the other way around. I'm never comfortable with that. because if the site ever goes away then I can't get to the course again. Have you started to watch the videos yet? I'm working through the second lesson of the Treppner course and really love the way the info in the card meanings is laid out. Even in the first lesson she began easing into the GT which is one of the main reasons why I wanted to take this course because S.S's book doesn't go into it that much and I really want a base in good classical Lenormand reading.

Lee

I haven't watched yet. I'd like to do it all in one go. I may do it this weekend if I can set aside a few hours.

ghost271

Im very interested in both as well and will most likely purchase both.

Tag_jorrit

No one has asked to download them before, so I'm not sure if it's possible or not. They are flash files. I'm not sure if you can just click and save it! I'll ask my web support person for some insight about it.

That would be GREAT! GREAT! I didn't think to ask.

I bought this course a couple of weeks ago but I have put off even trying to watch because my connection speed is unreliable (Verizon DSL) so watching would be difficult and distracting and computer location is inconvenient to allow me to concentrate. :(

Lee

I've watched the Lenormand 101 videos and read the pdf's, and I have to say I really like what Melissa has done, and I thought she did a great job.

I do have some familiarity with the Treppner course. Four years ago I bought the course and worked with it for a while. I haven't looked at it since then, though, and I don't have it with me now, so I'm only going on memory. I liked the Treppner course, but I found in some ways it was too much information, at times without enough guidance (or at least that was my perception) on how it all fit together. For example, several different reading spreads or methods were presented but with no advice on what the big picture was; for example, how to choose between the different methods or in what situations one might be more appropriate than another.

In comparing the two, I would say that the Treppner course is, of course, completely text-based -- so there's large chunks of text that must be read and digested. The writing style is friendly but professional. It's geared toward those who want an in-depth textbook for the traditional methods (or at least one particular tradition).

Melissa's course is geared more towards people who have have little or no experience with the Lenormand, or who have tried but haven't quite been able to wrap their minds around it (I fall into that latter camp). Melissa's tone is much warmer and more personal, with lots of humor.

So I'd say the biggest difference is the scope. The scope of the Treppner is wider, with more spreads and techniques, if I'm remembering correctly. Melissa's scope is more narrow. There is some discussion of other spreads, but the majority of the course focuses on card meanings, combining cards, and the Grand Tableau. The video covering the GT is 43 minutes long, and Melissa goes into great detail, taking you through it step by step and demonstrating many different GT-related factors and techniques. I found it extremely helpful to be able to watch what's going on and to hear Melissa interpreting lines on the spot, as it were. The pdf which covers the Grand Tableau does go further in presenting new ideas on reading techniques, but at 21 pages it's not overwhelming.

I think Melissa's goal is to get people up and running with the Lenormand in as short and painless a manner as possible. This approach certainly works with me. I do feel that I have a firmer grasp of it and can't wait to start in on readings.

So, between the Treppner and Melissa's, I would certainly say that doing both would be great (although I agree with Astraea that it would be best to not do them both at once!). If you need to choose one, then I think it depends both on what your goals are and what kind of learning style suits you best. If you want a really comprehensive, all-encompassing course, with big chunks of text and a left-brain, analytical approach, then you might prefer the Treppner. If you'd prefer a more personal touch, with the focus on getting you reading with the cards and getting a good grasp on the GT as soon as possible, then I think Melissa's would be your best bet.

ZKEI

Ordered :)

Thank you very much Flaxen, starlightexp, Lee for detailed information.
Also thanks all others who replied in this thread,
especially tarotmama for creating such wonderful decks and course.

Formerly, I was just afraid that contents of both courses would be very similar. But after reading all of your posts, I think I will have two then.

However, due to the deadline for a cheaper bundle of Lenormand 101 + Melissa 2nd (which is one of the Lenormand decks that have long been in my wishlist), I will go for the Melissa course first.

PS.
For Tarotmama's information, a cheaper bundle does really affect my order. I may be more reluctant to order either of them if there is no bundle. As such, I have wondered why you do not have a bundle of Postmark + Melissa + Lenormand 101 in the list. I think, in the future, it would be great if you could have a more-cheaper bundle for Lenormand 101 + Postmark + Melissa + any other materials. I guess there would be some more orders, especially from those living outside of US where the flat rate shipping somewhat affects their order (perhaps only me :p).

Thanks again for re-printing the decks

Cheers,
:thumbsup:

ghost271

I too ordered the Postmark and course. I gotta say, im VERY impressed with her presentation, reading materials, and explanations of how everything interconnects.
I dont think you could come any closer to having her actually in your living room showing you how to read. The GT makes so much sense now. The PDF material can be printed out and put into a binder, which then works as your refference guide, work book and journal. Somewhere between work,martial arts, and Daddy Duty i'll find the time to work intensley on this.
I highly recommend this course to anyone. And at half the price of the Treppner course you cant go wrong.

janie144

I just ordered the Lenormand 101, cant wait to get stuck in :)

Stormdancer

Hi!

No one has asked to download them before, so I'm not sure if it's possible or not. They are flash files. I'm not sure if you can just click and save it! I'll ask my web support person for some insight about it.
I'm still waiting for an answer to this question.

Okokok...who am I kidding? I know I'm gonna order it.

tarotmama

I'm still waiting for an answer to this question.

My web team (*couch*exhusband*cough*) tells me that it's possible but then something about codes and plugins and then all I heard was beeps and bops and such.

I can assure you that I have no intentions of taking the site down. I'm planning on re-doing the format a bit in the coming months so that it's easier for me to manage, but the content will remain available to anyone who has ordered it. I think I've done a good job with keeping up with students and I do make myself available to answer personal questions.

The other benefit of the videos being accessible through the members-only site is that I can re-do or add to the content when I like. I have added a video since the course began and I was hoping on adding another last weekend, but got caught up in trick or treat. When I get enough of the same questions from folks who have taken the 101 class, it's easy enough to throw up another video to answer it and then shoot everyone an email saying it's changed, check it out.