I-Ching for Beginners

Alta

bradford, nice to see you back.

For the benefit of the beginners, would you mind posting the title of a couple of good books which you consider decent accessible translations, and are books that can be acquired (i.e. in print and not too obscure?)

Thank you.

bradford

Here are a few. It's probably best to not use only one version,
but use maybe three at a time and add the meanings together
in your head. Nobody really "nails it," including myself. That just
can't be done - the possible meanings are just too broad.
I'd say the top six are, in no particular order:

Wilhelm (fairly dated, but generally useful)
Legge (also dated, but generally useful)
Thomas Cleary (just the straight, simple translation - he has many)
Alfred Huang
Richard Lynn
Wu Jing-Nuan

There are others worth reading that aren't strictly translations,
but I regard it best to start as close as possible with the one
that's actually been around for thirty centuries.

Here's a really big bibliography, but there's a lot of pretty
advanced stuff here, like doctoral dissertations.
My favorites are highlighted in bold.
http://www.hermetica.info/E-YiBib.htm

My own version is still available here as a free downloadable pdf,
but I usually don't recommend it to beginners.
http://www.hermetica.info

There's also a big Yijing link section, and links to forums like
Clarity (with its free beginner's tutorial) are in there

Alta

MaureenH and Always wondering, go ahead and post your questions. There are some here who may be able to answer them.

Alta

MaureenH

Thank you for that list of resources. I really want to read the entire thread (I have not done that yet) and look at those links within the next few days before I focus on this with the attention it properly deserves. I spent a day a few weeks back reading and trying to absorb some of Wilhem's translation just to get the concept of how the oracle works (should have written done my thoughts and questions!) but that's about my experience with it thus far. Somehow, I think it's something that will take a bit of time. I don't think it will be going anywhere soon due to my slow pace, though.

But as this thread is geared to beginners, I'll just edge closer with the first things I am thinking about. I know this will sound stupid, but I'm sort of boggled that humans could've been so wise that long ago. The idea that all of these situations have been rendered accessible through lines is amazing.

I asked "Why do I have such a difficult time forming questions for I Ching and Tarot?" (Since I'm generally nothing but questions!)

(Is it more correctly anglicized to YiJing?)

3-3-2=8
2-2-3=7
2-2-3=7
2-2-3=7
3-3-2=8
2-2-3=7

I should correct my earlier comment about all negative lines as I think the 7 is positive but non-moving (not that (I have a clear grasp of what that means yet). So how do I find the correct hexagram for this, and how to I interpret the overall meaning as compared to the individual lines or trigrams? I thought it might be K'un, The Receptive, but I'm not sure.

Thank you.
I'm off to play in the dirt.

------------------------

After looking at this some more last night, I think it might be 49, Ko. Revolution/Molting. That does sound like what I'm doing in a way. I'm definitely in the mud (and very much enjoying the literal mud)!

I'm not sure how much of the the explanation pertain based on the lines. I think it means my convictions are not in unison with my beliefs about Tarot and YiJing at this point, and I think that's true. I know I'm not scoffing, but it's true I don't believe in much of anything (flowers in the first week of June, I believe in.) Still, I will continue to try. Maybe I just need to wait longer to see if that happens.

Always Wondering

I’ve read the thread and found a couple of sites. My local bookstore didn’t have much of a selection so I will have to order a book. One of my first hexagrams is

--*--
-----
-- --
-----
-- --
-----

So is it 53, air of earth or 39, moon of earth, as in do I make a solid line or a broken line when I throw three tails on my 6th throw? Or leave the star there and consider it 53 changing to 39, or visa versa?

53 to 39 doesn't seem like a positive change to me, am I correct to assume then, pay attention to 53 or I might find the qualities of 39?

This was my question before I went to the bookstore and read the varying meanings of the hexagrams. (I read on two different sources strickly about geese on 53 on reccomended sites, at the bookstore most books brought in the translation of a boy or a child) ? Meanings will take time for me to get, I figure I should learn the process first. But any input is appreciated.

AW

Le Fanu

I experimented 20 years or so ago with the I-ching and have been thinking of getting back into it. I eventually bought from my local esoteric shop three coins because I lost both my old coins and my book and have subsequently forgotten everything! I also found in the local bookshop, one book in English and am pleased to discover here that it´s reputable translation! (Thomas Cleary)

However, it doesn´t have anything about the actual throwing of the coins or the constructing of the hexograms and Im going to ask 2 really dumb questions. Are you ready... (embarrassed silence...)...

Firstly; how do I know which is heads and which is tails? One side of the coin has Chinese characters and the other side has two squigly symbols...

Secondly; the book doesnt elucidate on how to read the old yin and old yang. They aren´t a part of the consultation chart in the back and no mention is made of them in the individual sections...

Le Fanu

O thank you! That looks great, I ve just had a quick look and will read it properly later. So no more dumb questions here ;)

squeakmo9

Always Wondering said:
I’ve read the thread and found a couple of sites. My local bookstore didn’t have much of a selection so I will have to order a book. One of my first hexagrams is

--*--
-----
-- --
-----
-- --
-----

So is it 53, air of earth or 39, moon of earth, as in do I make a solid line or a broken line when I throw three tails on my 6th throw? Or leave the star there and consider it 53 changing to 39, or visa versa?

53 to 39 doesn't seem like a positive change to me, am I correct to assume then, pay attention to 53 or I might find the qualities of 39?

This was my question before I went to the bookstore and read the varying meanings of the hexagrams. (I read on two different sources strickly about geese on 53 on reccomended sites, at the bookstore most books brought in the translation of a boy or a child) ? Meanings will take time for me to get, I figure I should learn the process first. But any input is appreciated.

AW

I found these particularly helpful, Always Wondering...
from Yi Ching Basics
from Yi Ching Study
from Yi Ching Hexagrams