I want a new deck, what should I get?

nisaba

Now this is mighty interesting, nisaba. Do tell us what it is when you get ahold of it, alright? :laugh:

Damn! I forgot to look at it, and I'm away from my collection again. JylliM remind me on Saturday, if I haven't co-operated by then.

nisaba

So I just got the Golden Universal Tarot in the mail right now and OMG I am IN LOVE with it!!!

Yes, it is stunning. But I'm warning you, it's just the beginning of the Bling Corner of your collection. Next, you'll be wanting all the decks mentioned above, plus the Klimt, the Etruscan, the Golden Botticelli, the Tsar, the Nefertari, and a stack of others.

Life is pretty dull without shimmering-golden glamour.

Nemia

The Etruscan has no gold foil. But otherwise, I agree, those golden deck are gorgeous and I found them good reading decks.

Marcus R

I'd like to own a Golden Universal one day.

Carojulie

So I just got the Golden Universal Tarot in the mail right now and OMG I am IN LOVE with it!!! I love how they feel and look and ugh they are just gorgeous. I dont even want the Wizard Tarot ones now. The Wizard one is really big and the card stock is not very good. I guess it will sit on my shelf as a "maybe one day I'll use you" lol...Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful suggestions xoxo

Hi Akitablue (sweet pseudo by the way !)

I am glad you are liking your new decks. Dont worry about the Wizard tarot being eclipsed right now by the Golden Universal. You were attracted by the Wizard tarot for a reason, so maybe, some time in the future, you will be happy to dscover it again, and it will feel like a new deck. That happens to me sometimes : I get a new deck and either dont like it as much as I thought I would, or dont get to use it as much as I would want to because life (and other decks) get in the way.... so it sits on a shelf (or rather, in my case, in a big box where I stock my decks) for a while... and suddenly I find it again and its love renewed.

And, if it does not happens like that, maybe you will just realise on day that you are not into the Wizard tarot after all, and you will find the perfect person to give it to, or sell it to, or exchange it to for another deck. But before that happens, let it have its chance with you !

Meanwhile, have lots of fun with your Golden Universal. This thread has enabled me ! I had been aware of the Goden Universal, but never totally attracted... but I see it in an other light thanks to this tread !

One thing that you might enjoy (I know I enjoy it tremendously) is the possibility to compare the same cards from different decks.Of course one needs several decks at ones disposal for that, and you have that now. I find that it deepens my understanding and the way I read into each card, to compare how different artists and tarot designer have represented each card, sometimes they use the same symbols, sometimes they see the card in a totally different angle... that is very fascinating.

If you can afford it, I would suggest getting a really luxurious deck, at least one. Some decks, by their quality, their art, their cardstock, or a mix of all that, just have a OOMMMPH , WAAOOWW factor that cannot be beaten. When you hold them in your hands you feel the difference.
Here are suggestions of "Woaw" decks, decks that will give you this voluptuous sensation when holding them and reading with them :

- The Fountain tarot
- The Starchild tarot
- Tabula Mundi Colores Arcus
- The Alice tarot by Baba Studio (has metallic overlay... absolutely stunning but not "in your face" either.. and still feels robust like the metallic ink will not go away any time soon)
- The Tarot of Prague by Baba Studio (same style of metallic overlay as the Alice tarot above.. just Stunning !)
- The Bohemian Gothic Tarot by Baba Studio (no metallic overlay on this one, which makes it more affordable, but it is still stunning, trust me !)
- All decks from Baba Studio will give you the Woaw factor, but the more recent ones (like the Baba ones listed above) have a special cardstock, sleek and soft.... really good. The older decks had a different cardstock, still excellent, but not as sleek. Though the best of the best of their cardstock, IMO, was the Bohemian Gothic Second edition, but its hard to come by)
- The Distant Past tarot from Jerri Totten

And, if you are into marseille style decks with unillustrated pips, those two will give you the Woaw factor :
- The Oriental tarot Foudraz
- Giovanni di Vacchetta by Il Meneghello

Some of these decks are very close RWS, some are RWS inspired but a little different, some have some Thoth inspiration in them, the last two are Old Italian/French deck inspired.... So I suggest you really look into them before getting one because they are more pricey than most decks, and it is an investment. You can find many pictures online and many reviews on the net and on Youtube.

Of course the list is not exhaustive and there are plenty more, but I am only talking about the ones I know and can vouch for.
But I think that all tarot readers are entitled to at list one "Woaw" deck..... and if you can afford it, I bet you will not regret it.

Enjoy !

ayuryogini

Oh those metallic decks!!! I totally want one of those now!! That will be my next mission when Im ready to buy another..I wish I would have seen that b4 I made the wizard purchase , but I def love the wizard deck.

I just received the Golden Botticelli because of what I read here. Benebell Wen also did a beautiful write up of it; it's exquisite.

Another metallic deck that I absolutely love is the Tarot of Prague, 3rd ed; the copper, silver and gold metallics are beautiful, the card stock is incredible and I'm surprised (I don't know why but it was unexpected) how much I love to read with it.

Another gorgeous deck is Pagan Otherworlds; it is an experience. The box, card stock, art work, just stunning.

lotusauriel

I actually almost got that one once!! I saw it on ebay and really liked it!!! But I def want to stay in the same size range. I have small hands and omg its def overwhelming with all the options...I love vampires, I love fairies, Im sitting here right now just going through google with different terms "coolest tarot cards" "prettiest tarot cards" I really like the Illuminated one but I think thats big too.
You can trim the edges down. This is my go to deck, and I have small hands. I cut off the borders and titles completely, but before that, I just trimmed the borders down and left the titles. It's an awesome deck, no matter what, but it seems to open up and draw you in more, without all that extra stuff. And it isn't hard to read without the titles either. I have never found another deck that I connect better to, and I have around 150. Lol

nisaba

<drumroll>

And the gold-drenched Marseille I mentioned which has a box that makes it look like a block of chocolate, is ....

<clash of cymbals>

"The Tarot de Marseille, delux edition stamped in gold and silver -" (mostly, it has to be said, gold) " - Arcanes Majeurs, by Daniel Rodes and Encarna Sanchez", printed in Spain.

I think it might belong to a series called "Les Anciennes Icones de Tarot Reconscruites"

email info in tiny print: info@tarotmarsella.com.

Knock yourself out, guys, it's stunning. Of the people that have participated in this thread, JylliM and MarcusR have just seen it.

EmpyreanKnight

<drumroll>

And the gold-drenched Marseille I mentioned which has a box that makes it look like a block of chocolate, is ....

<clash of cymbals>

"The Tarot de Marseille, delux edition stamped in gold and silver -" (mostly, it has to be said, gold) " - Arcanes Majeurs, by Daniel Rodes and Encarna Sanchez", printed in Spain.

I think it might belong to a series called "Les Anciennes Icones de Tarot Reconscruites"

email info in tiny print: info@tarotmarsella.com.

Knock yourself out, guys, it's stunning. Of the people that have participated in this thread, JylliM and MarcusR have just seen it.

OMG thanks nisaba! THIS is the very deck you are referring to, right? I also wish to buy THIS one with it, since I prefer to read 78-card decks. But the Gold and Silver *gasp* 22 Arcanes de Tarot de Marseille shall of course be mine too.

These go solidly into my wish list. One day it shall be in my hands too, nisaba. :cool3:

jds91592

I've always been a fan of the Universal Waite deck. Classic Rider-Waite design with softer illustrations done by Hanson-Roberts.