Reading someone without permission.

willowfox

Solitaire* said:
Just came back to say that we're always reading for others without their permission even when we think we're not. Everyone needs/ask for readings about situations that involve other people in some way, and if we refused to do those readings, we wouldn't be doing very many readings at all.

Quite right, we all want to know about others, people, animals, plants all the time, so if we all stop asking about those others, then there would not be much left to ask about.
So, go ahead, consult those cards.

tabi

My own personal take on this is his own reaction to tarot to begin with. I will NEVER read for or asking any question involving my mom. She believes them to be evil and refuses to even look at any or have them in her home. Which this is her belief and she is welcomed to it. I know that she would not like or want me to do any type of reading even out of curousity that involves her. Now if it is someone that is expressively interested or simply netural then yes I would.

However if you're not sure whether it is ethical or not; why not simply ask him to let you do a reading to see if he will be able to sell the house. Hence enabling you both to have a more open talk of why the selling and if he will be successful with selling it if that is truly his wish.

Moonbow

First and foremost you have to examine why you want to read about his situation and whether the answer you come up with makes you feel comfortable.

Do you want to read about his situation because you care and want to help, and be a good friend?

Do you want to read about it because you are nosey?

(There may be other questions too)

I would have no qualms about reading about someone else providing my own reasons for doing so were for the right. I have read about my daughter when I felt she needed some help and wouldn't open up, but I read about 'how I could help her', rather than 'what is the problem'. Althought that came out int he reading too.

Think about what your intention is first and then read if you are comfortable with it.

Little Hare

Personally I feel its unethical... like spying... if he wants to tell you about it he will... look at the reason as to why he hasn't already told you... is he ashamed?

or as someone has already mentioned ask him straight up if you can do a reading

just my 2 cents

jayem

i do readings on people without their permission, but its never been that circumstance. i often do clarity problems if my friends are going through specific crisis's and i need good advice to give them.
if i were you, i dont think id read without his permission. like somebody said, it is spying. im a firm believer in karma (almost to an OCD level!), and i really think that if you 'spy' this person, you may end up hurting yourself in the long run.
HOWEVER, heres the catch-22 (kinda). ask for clarity when reading for him. since you noticed he did look suspicious, maybe theres something going on that you can possibly help him with. if you do a clarity spread, then maybe you can give him helpful advise in a non-intrusive way.

sharpchick

I think if I were you, I would need to have a little talk with myself to find out why it was so important to me to have an answer about someone that he didn't want to give me directly. Maybe he thinks it's none of your business why he's selling his house.

franniee

Papageno said:
can it be done? yes.
should you do it? that's up to you. who am I to cast stones.
have I done it? yes.

me too!

it's up to you to figure out why you want to do it BUT looks to me like he could use the few beers approach much better than the reading. ;)

The crowned one

sharpchick said:
I think if I were you, I would need to have a little talk with myself to find out why it was so important to me to have an answer about someone that he didn't want to give me directly. Maybe he thinks it's none of your business why he's selling his house.

Its not that important, thats why I stopped, then I started pondering the whole ethical thing and decided to post my thoughts and question here using my minor situation as a example. He is a good friend and would have a laugh if I told him I consulted the cards over him I think..

Papageno

just a general response to the thread.

Is there really a difference between somebody asking you to do a reading on a person or situation as opposed to doing it on your own?

tarot is a skill that is used by many people in various professions and circumstances to gain insight on individuals and situations.

is the reading more ethically palatable or justifiable simply because you were asked to do it as a professional service? (and what is the nature of that service hmmmm?)

I don't think so. IMHO it all amounts to the same thing.
In my mind, it's a moot point.

just my small 2 cents worth :)

Sphinxmoth

I read about others in the privacy of my tiny studio, in private, for myself,
out of crass curiosity or even a fleeting whim all the time.
I don't see where ethics enter into that. I'm not wiretapping, I'm not
opening their mail or peeping into their homes with a telescope, similies
notwithstanding.
I'm not sharing anyone's secrets with other people after
having promised them not to do so. (I'm never sure about ethics, but I do
know, in general, what is not nice to do to other people).

If my mom thought the cards were evil, but she fell ill and went to the hospital,
I goddam well would read cards about her, for myself, if I wanted to.
(Does finagling the question to 'how I could help her', rather than 'what
is the problem' make it different (i.e. 'better') or more justifiable or just
easier on our conscience for looking in the first place? )

"Is there really a difference between somebody asking you to do a
reading on a person or situation as opposed to doing it on your own?"

in practical terms, and as sucky as I am with ethical questions in general
(and I have inconsistent morals), I would *guess* the answer to that
question is no.

edit typo