Oracle cards vs Tarot Cards

Zechariah13

Hi!

I never really used oracle cards before. Actually, before i got onto the forum i thought they were a newer New Age term for TArot cards. Lo and behold my surprise when i find they are different things.

I AM interested in an Oracle Deck or two: the Gods and Titan oracle, and the Goddess and Sirens ORacle

BUt before i go off buying things, i wanted to ask:

what is the primary difference between tarot and Oracle Cards? and i dont mean the obvious of Suits Trumps and courts and all that Jazz. I mean, on a personal level, how is using and experiencing them different than with the Tarot? Just wanted to know, thanks for the input!

Manda

Tarot has a structure that can be applied, to greater and lesser degrees, to most tarot decks. There will be variances, but that is a general rule of thumb. Tarot decks generally have 78 cards divided into the Major Arcana, then the Minor Arcana, further divided into the four suits. This is not set in stone, but is a generalization.

Most oracle decks have a structure, or no structure, that is unique to them, unless they are a specific type of oracle, such as lenormand or Sybilla (or playing cards).

I prefer tarot to oracle in general because I like the structure of tarot, and I like to not have to look at the guide book, although there are plenty of oracles meant to be read intuitively, and plenty of people who read them that way, meant to or not.

That being said, all tarot decks ARE oracles, like all zebras are animals, but not all animals are zebras. Perfectly clear, right? :joke:

Zechariah13

hmmm so its like the 1st geometry lesson about squares vs rectangles? A tarot deck is always an oracle deck, but an oracle deck isnt always a tarot? Gotta love when geometric principles apply to mysticism!

That makes complete sense. Of course, i find your comment about the guidebook funny as i am relatively new to tarot and still have to use that darned book often lol

Manda

Yes but once tarot becomes like a second language to you the books can be put away, mostly. What I dislike about oracles is all of them feel like a foreign language to me, and while I might want to visit their land and see the sites I don't really have time to learn more languages. :joke:

Zechariah13

I get that. I just have a hard time finding Tarot decks that resonate with me. I dont know if im judging them properly (which is a topic best reserved for the tarot section), but there are some oracle decks that i knew i needed the moment i laid eyes on them, and that doesnt happen often to me.

GryffinSong

I think a part of this depends on what you want to use tarot and/or oracle decks FOR. If you're using them for meditation and personal growth, either works great. Speaking for myself, I HAVE to connect with the artwork or I simply won't use a deck at all. So since you're having trouble finding a tarot deck you connect with, I figure you haven't got anything to lose in looking at the oracle decks available.

I'll give you an example. When I want something soothing and calm and gentle in its message, I sometimes turn to my Druid Plant Oracle. The artwork is lovely, the plants serene, and I can usually figure something out about the cards without reading the book. But if I were trying to do readings for strangers I doubt I could make sense of them. I MOSTLY use tarot/oracles for myself, so I have a number of both. :)

inertia

Hello! I like this post very much.. oracle decks vs tarot.. hmm.. Oracle means prophecy, fortune telling, etc. Tarot ...oh well I was taught that it is of greek origin from the expression "Ta roto" written "Τα ρωτώ" , which means "I ask them(the cards)". And linguistically this explains the final "T" taroT<taroCCo etc.

So, both decks ARE to be used mainly(not only) for predictions and reveal aspects of our lives. The difference is the structure-I agree! Tarot is based on playing card decks (most people disagree and claim that playing cards are based on the minor arcana, but historically this is not true). Some oracles like lenormand, sibilla etc. are also based on playing cards.

Is there any true difference? The answer is no! It depends on how you learn something (books are not enough, and they DON'T tell all). Most people tend to say "you need a lifetime to master tarot". This is also not true. If this was true then Etteila, Waite or any other contemporary tarot creator, writer would be dead when they published their works. And as far as we all know they weren't :p .

The difference concerns the theories and practises..not the decks.

Cerulean

I think I divide my interests between old and new

I like older style decks right now based on cartomancy, so am not attracted to newer oracles at the moment.

I like sibilla and Lenormands and a few older reprints.

My sister found a vintage Russian Gypsy Fortune Telling Deck and book for me....I can relate it to my Lenormands. The folkloric meanings from the author's grandmother translates through the author's eyes, experience and heart into a treasured well of small stories...gee, if I could only do something similar! Her meanings map and match with some other decks I call oracular, with a similarity to what I like to think of as "French" cartomancy meanings.

Many of us have practical and folksy memories and enjoy divination explained with this background....and with such pretty cards forming a puzzle. As an oracle, I enjoy how this deck and bookset explains the author's view...and I do not expect an oracle format to adhere to a set system--but this deck feels like there is a closeness to certain cartomancy decks like an Italian Sibilla by Modiano, or a French Lenormand and even a curious American set of Tehuila (Tahiti) cards by Isobel Fields...from the 1930's...?

I am also kind of dwelling in a mix of old fashion cartomancy meanings for my Tarot minors...but seem to prefer decks where someone adheres to a "system "....and hopefully the author/artist can explain their system and allow for some personal connection. I have spent awhile trying to work with my treasured Celestial Tarot and I admire it as a mix of old and new. But as a tarot deck, it is a "newer" to me, and I almost think of it as more an oracle of astrology and personality types with card assignment closeness to tarot card meanings. I am still learning it after several years, it is helping me to learn astrology.

Sorry if I took a round about way to answer. This thread gave me lots to think about here. I do appreciate your questions and the ideas expressed by people here.
Hi!

I never really used oracle cards before. Actually, before i got onto the forum i thought they were a newer New Age term for TArot cards. Lo and behold my surprise when i find they are different things.

I AM interested in an Oracle Deck or two: the Gods and Titan oracle, and the Goddess and Sirens ORacle

BUt before i go off buying things, i wanted to ask:

what is the primary difference between tarot and Oracle Cards? and i dont mean the obvious of Suits Trumps and courts and all that Jazz. I mean, on a personal level, how is using and experiencing them different than with the Tarot? Just wanted to know, thanks for the input!

Optimalist

Establishing the I-Ching

I started making my own I-Ching cards after getting tired of throwing coins around. I started with index cards with hand-written words and meanings. Then, I found the TAO Oracle and they made everything quicker and more accessible to everyone. I have also continue to create my own printed cards with my own translations. This time I use digital technology.

I find that my readings are less divination than contemplative. The I-Ching was a Book of Changes that allowed the people who consulted the Tao to think about their current situation, rather than predict the future. What I like about the I-Ching is that it tells you what you already know, and helps you consider what you can do in the present moment.

peaceandkarma

For me the main differences are that Tarot are based around the traditional Minor and Major Arcana. And Oracle cards generally follow a theme. I also find oracle cards easier to use.