POLL: New Forum Section?

Would you like a new forum section for historical speculations?

• Yes, a 6th section for speculation in history and philosophy

Votes: 47 64.4%
  • No. Historical Research should relax its standards and welcome all ideas.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • No. Keep standards in His Res; speculation can be addressed in Talking Tarot

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I either don't know or don't care.

Votes: 11 15.1%

• Total voters

Teheuti

Please indicate what you'd like to see. If I've missed important options then we can start a new poll.

ADDED: A new forum section, if there were to be one, would probably be added to "Tarot History & Iconography." Decisions are made by Solandia in consultation with the moderators. We are simply making the issues clear for everyone and coming up with our own recommendations. At least, that's how I understand it.

Possible titles for a new section (if you want one) can be suggested below.

Teheuti

Looking back on old posts I see that Debra started a thread on HR with a title I really like:

"Speculation: A Sandbox for Historical Imagination"

There are no pejoratives implied and it's playful. I think it would set the perfect tone.

Astraea

Looking back on old posts I see that Debra started a thread on HR with a title I really like:

There are no pejoratives implied and it's playful. I think it would set the perfect tone.
I agree completely.

Laura Borealis

Thanks for setting up a poll, Teheuti.

I voted for the first option, but I have a small caveat.

You said, "No. Keep standards in His Res; speculation can be addressed in Talking Tarot"

I DO support keeping standards in Historical Research. Creating a separate forum under the heading of Tarot History and Iconography does not interfere with that.

Tarot History and Iconography is the umbrella forum:

Tarot History and Iconography
---Marseilles & Other Early Decks
---Rider-Waite-Smith
---Thoth Tarot
---Historical Research
---Kabbalah & Alphabets

I see the new Speculation forum as being a sixth sub-forum under T.H. & I.

Teheuti

Tarot History and Iconography is the umbrella forum:

Tarot History and Iconography
---Marseilles & Other Early Decks
---Rider-Waite-Smith
---Thoth Tarot
---Historical Research
---Kabbalah & Alphabets

I see the new Speculation forum as being a sixth sub-forum under T.H. & I.
I agree with you 100% (although I was leaving the specifics to a later determination). We could add to the list - between Historical Research and Kabbalah & Alphabets:

---Speculation: a Sandbox for Historical Imagination (or "Historical Speculation" for short?)
ADDED: or some other title.

Laura Borealis

I agree with you 100% (although I was leaving the specifics to a later determination). We could add to the list - between Historical Research and Kabbalah & Alphabets

---Speculation: a Sandbox for Historical Imagination (or "Historical Speculation" for short?)

I don't mean to come across as nit-picky, I just wanted to be clear about my thoughts on this :)

As for names, I like that one. Really anything that is clear about the scope of the forum is fine.

Stormdancer

I voted for the 1st option, and I just LOVE this title. A playground :party:

Richard

I voted for the 1st option, and I just LOVE this title. A playground :party:
The playground/sandbox idea is cute, but I think it is not inclusive enough for topics which are quite serious, such as sociological, psychological, and philosophical speculation. Also, to some extent, even "Flights of Fancy" has connotations which might give the impression that serious topics are unwelcome.

Teheuti

The playground/sandbox idea is cute, but I think it is not inclusive enough for topics which are quite serious, such as sociological, psychological, and philosophical speculation. Also, to some extent, even "Flights of Fancy" has connotations which might give the impression that serious topics are unwelcome.
I understand your concern. You might either suggest a different title or we could recommend including your suggestions in the descriptive line underneath:
"Speculations: A Sandbox for Historical Imagination - including ideas that might also be considered sociological, psychological and philosophical."

Richard

I understand your concern. You might either suggest a different title or we could recommend including your suggestions in the descriptive line underneath:
"Speculations: A Sandbox for Historical Imagination - including ideas that might also be considered sociological, psychological and philosophical."
My post was just something to think about. After all, newcomers to the Tarot History and Iconography section will not necessarily be familiar with the issues which caused such a forum to be created, so they may not be able to infer the actual scope of the forum from a whimsical title, which otherwise would be perfectly clear to those of us who have followed the controversy.