Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set--100 Years!

Abrac

The ad at the US Games site definitely makes it sound like it will be the Pam A. But I'm skeptical about whether those sample pictures are of the cards we will see in the finished product; they look to me like they could actually be from an original Pam A. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Le Fanu

O if only Mr Kaplan would deign to visit us and tell all...

*impatient sigh over breakfast*

teomat

Ooo, this looks really nice! Will definitely have to get it (especially hearing that the backs won't be that horrid blue tartan).

Seems to be a lovely alternative to the garish version and the measley 'original' one.

lilaclona

That looks very nice and promising. When a historical deck exists for 100 years it needs to be celebrated, right?

fyreflye

The USG announcement says "The Smith-Waite Centennial Edition Tarot Deck is reproduced from the original 1909 deck..." That was the Roses & Lillies deck, so we can only hope :D

The 78th Fool

I just found this thread started by Elnor in the Rider Waite Smith research forum:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=113991

She contacted US Games for details about the deck and they've sent her the new card back design. It's awesome :D

It's attached a few posts down in the thread so I've re-attached it here for convienience. It looks like we're finally going to get an edition of the RWS that really does it full justice!

Chris. xx

Attachments

• PamelaCardBack.jpg
    PamelaCardBack.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 283

teomat

Mmm...interesting back design. I like the rose and lilly design more (on the 'original' RWS), but this is still miles better than the blue tartan.

All I need to hear now is that it won't be heavily laminated - then I'll get it.

jackdaw*

Not bad. Not bad at all. Much better than the blue tartan, or the old crackled mud backs. I do kind of like the roses and lilies of the Original RW, but this is understated and I think fits the fronts very well.

la-luna

The 78th Fool said:
I just found this thread started by Elnor in the Rider Waite Smith research forum:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=113991

She contacted US Games for details about the deck and they've sent her the new card back design. It's awesome :D

It's attached a few posts down in the thread so I've re-attached it here for convienience. It looks like we're finally going to get an edition of the RWS that really does it full justice!

Chris. xx

well the deck deserves a good back true to Pixie and this one is surely that!!!!!

now hoping upon a very very very light lamination to keep that "authentic" feeling

truelighth

Abrac said:
The ad at the US Games site definitely makes it sound like it will be the Pam A. But I'm skeptical about whether those sample pictures are of the cards we will see in the finished product; they look to me like they could actually be from an original Pam A. Just have to wait and see I guess.

The sample pictures do look like they could be from the original Pam-A, except that the lines are thicker and the colours more cohesive. If I look at my own scans of the Pam-A, the lines are even thinner and you can see the line-printing in the colours. So my guess is that these are reproductions, not original scans. They differ too much for that.