Have You Made Your Own Oracle?

Dave's Angel

I'm in the middle of designing an oracle at the moment. I'd agree with what people have said here that you can make an oracle with pretty much anything, but on the other hand I'd stress that the oracle is only as good as the meanings you attach to the "props" you're using.

IE you can use Playmobil gubbins, shells, different types of bird as you like, but say you do a casting, and get the Playmobil kerosene lamp, you need to have thought in advance what the meaning of that is, or else you're thinking "Um, great, what next?"

Not to suggest you should pulverise all spontaneity out of it by analysing and analysing imagery till you disappear up your own proverbial, but just like Tarot I suppose, the more comfortable you've got with the symbolism of each thingymabob beforehand, the richer the things that come to mind when you draw it in a reading.

ana luisa

Yes, Dave´s Angel, the more comfortable you are with the symbolism, the richer the interpretation. But then, again, this happens to Tarot cards too, as you said yourself ! I have been so amazed by the variety of meanings a specific card can have to different readers and at different circumstances that I´ve become a bit of a skeptic for hard set rules. In any case, if it´s YOUR oracle, it´s YOUR interpretation and it can change, too! I have already "read" the kerosene lamp as living in the dark , longing for a life in a more natural environment, temporary blackouts. How do I know which meaning to choose? I don´t. It just comes to me. I guess it may sound very flimsy and unreal to trust intuition that much but, if you think about it, it´s not much different than interpreting ordinary signs you get from the world everyday. How can you assign a meaning to smiles? Or tone of voice? You surely know what they imply. The message behind. And I bet nobody really taught you this. You learned as you went along .The only reason I opted for my Playmobil thingys was that they were available, no longer in use and that they provided me, the reader, with symbols I hadn´t yet found in other Oracles I´ve worked and/or seen before. Where else would I find a broom, a torch, a floating device, a megaphone, a crown, shoes, a skull, a telephone, a crown, a hair band, a witche´s broom all put together?
I completely agree with you on the pre-reading interpretation bit. But it usually doesn´t stop there...

moderndayruth

Is this too weird?

I use RWS, but... I got meanings of some cards just after seeing them in other decks, for example, The Hermit, that's really special to me, got far more conotations for me after seeing the Pagan Hermit; i was looking for some picture that would help me feel better the Devil... and i found it at Imdb movie base, portreting Sean Pean in that role that won him the Oscar back in 2003 (this is the link to the pic if someone is interested http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0327056/Ss/0327056/MRC-2085.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0327056
well, i came up with many "solutions " like this one, this far i've been saving them in my pc, but now i decided to print them out and use them as an oracle. Is this too weird, i mean to mix&match images from different decs with actors pic's and stuff?

Pumpkin

Thanks again everyone. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do.

Do you ever get what really seem to be great idea's just as you are drifting off to sleep and then in the morning you know the thought was great, but what was it????

This keeps happening to me. I think it and it's gone & I have been dreaming a lot about it too. But when I wake up. Nothing! grrr....So I think it's just the process of getting ready for the idea to stick.

I would like to see pictures of your oracles if you can post them. When I get mine together I will post a pic too.

hehehe, no wonder I could not find the crowstones on the internet. ;) I did try to find them. lol

Pumpkin

moderndayruth said:
I use RWS, but... I got meanings of some cards just after seeing them in other decks, for example, The Hermit, that's really special to me, got far more conotations for me after seeing the Pagan Hermit; i was looking for some picture that would help me feel better the Devil... and i found it at Imdb movie base, portreting Sean Pean in that role that won him the Oscar back in 2003 (this is the link to the pic if someone is interested http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0327056/Ss/0327056/MRC-2085.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0327056
well, i came up with many "solutions " like this one, this far i've been saving them in my pc, but now i decided to print them out and use them as an oracle. Is this too weird, i mean to mix&match images from different decs with actors pic's and stuff?

I like your mix and match idea. It is a personal oracle that you make and will love.

That is a great movie too. Sad, but I loved it.

Glass Owl

zannamarie said:
You can make an oracle out of pretty much anything. I began reading animal crackers a while back.
You may like "The Book of Ordinary Oracles" by Lon Milo DuQuette.

"When you actually know the question, the answer is everywhere, and you can see it in anything you observe. And that includes the instruments of ordinary oracles."

moderndayruth

Thank you, Pumpkin :) I did need your support. I am sure you will enjoy all the fun and all the new insights while making your own oracle! Pls, keep us informed on your progress, ok?
Love&Light
Ruth

Pumpkin

The Book of Ordinary Oracles has great reviews on Amazon. I put it on my wish list to order when I have $25 or more. I like to use the free shipping option.

moderndayruth, you are so welcome. Let us know how it's going while working on it. :)

mgrace

Pumpkin said:
The Book of Ordinary Oracles has great reviews on Amazon. I put it on my wish list to order when I have $25 or more.
Check Discount New Age Books -- it might still be "on the cheap" there. It was one of their little dollar specials back in Dec. or so. ... EDITED: I just checked: It went back up to $8.47. They're going to have another special next week; maybe watch for it?

Pumpkin

mgrace said:
Check Discount New Age Books -- it might still be "on the cheap" there. It was one of their little dollar specials back in Dec. or so. ... EDITED: I just checked: It went back up to $8.47. They're going to have another special next week; maybe watch for it?

Darn, I missed that. I will keep an eye on it. They are great to order from.