When do you charge for a reading???

Grizabella

and have a spare deck handy for when I run into that girl that 'has always wanted to learn'.

What about having one handy for that guy who 'always wanted to learn'? ;)

When I first got sober, I wanted very badly to have the AA book. It cost $5 at the time and I didn't have two pennies to rub together. But I was told that if I wanted one badly enough, I'd figure out a way to get one just like if I wanted sobriety badly enough, I'd do whatever I had to do to stay sober, too. The same applies with Tarot. If they want it badly enough, they'll figure out a way to get their own deck.

What's that got to do with your question? Well, I guess encouragement that you don't have to give a deck to someone who wants to learn, you just have to be sure you're good enough to charge money. If they're dedicated enough to learn, they'll get their own deck.

Rev_Vesta

For me personally..........

I started reading in 1996 for friends...(no family).......
During 2001/2002 I kept getting offered Koha on the readings I did....

In 2003 started charging for readings. $5 did 35 readings in 2 days...Some of those readings I was given $25 becasue they wanted more indepth readings....(because had to pay for the space I used) ....Confident in my abilities to read Tarot, not using a book in any aspects of any basic readings........

I will not use a new deck for a client unless I can work with The Tarot without the authors book......Same with any Oracle decks I work with in a paid reading....

the only book I will use is with The Crystal Ally when a client chooses One card to know what Chakra, Crystal and Affirmation to use during their personal journey....I know what the basic messages of the cards are.... just the Client seems to enjoy getting the extra information to take home.....

I would be horrified if I went to a reader and they read the cards as individual cards instead of how each card relates to the whole picture......or memorised from a book........(can make the reading stilted...)....

eg.... I know of a client who went to a Reader......This client was given maybe up to 4-5 suggestions per card of what it could be..... The Client was told she would be pregnant within 6 months......plus maybe the time was ripe for something to grow........plus awhole lot...of other stuff....She was very upset and very concerned about what she was told..........

She came to me for a counseling session.... as she had just had an hysterectormy and was not going to ever have a child, was for medical reasons.......She had told the Reader she would not pay as the reading was inaccurate and explained why... the Reader was very embarressed and realized they still had alot to learn before charging so apoligized.........

I then did a reading and was able to give details in what was new in her life..... Only because I read the cards what I see within, beyond the surface of the images.....So important... knowing what you don't see at first glance can also make a difference to a reading.....

(important to get lots of feedback about your readings.. testimonials..........and be prepared to practice practice practice........
with any new deck you pick up.....

For Expos I always offer quick 10 min Readings for $15 and 1/2 hr $30 (special) but that is after 6 years of Reading for paying Clients.......
So you see charging a price, even a ridiculous low price can only start when paying Clients appreciate the service you offer and see it as value for money....Even when I charged $5 for Readings at my first expo...
I explained to each Client what they could expect from a reading and gave them the opportunity to decide whther it was value for what I was asking......
If they did not agree they were free not to pay me after the Reading....

214red

very interesting thread, i do think that books are often a crutch when you start learning. i found that even when i am reading for myself at home i consult books out of habit. i dont when i am reading for anybody else.
when i am in a coffee shop reading for myself i am fine, so its me stopping myself.

I couldnt charge someone if i was consulting the books during a reading,even when i start charging, if i do a reading i feel was below par i wont charge for it because its a matter of integrity (which is easy to say i guess when you have another paycheck still coming in).

I think i will start charging when i am consistantly spot on, at the moment i am reading for anyone simply to get practice, and because i do love reading. I dont think you can get too much practice!