Is the Hierophant a Dictator?

Adjustment

The hierophant is my personality card. What i have experienced with this card as my life teacher is a big struggle trying to fit in, this happened mostly after leaving my native country about 12 years ago. I have seen many hierophant faces, as TemperanceAngel say it could show as a dictator, someone trying to control how you should leave your life and dictating how you are going to be treated I have leave that experience and it was very unpleasant, till 2 years ago, then I decided enough was enough and made the choice to brake from the group and go solo, in my own.

poivre

O.K. just a thought!

The keys are on the bottom (RWS)
they are underneath, so in the past.

Keys have opened doors in the past.
Now the Hierophant hands you your fate!
The next level.
Keys crossed, something is hidden.
Intuition? Knowing, as in The High Priestess?
Knowing but not telling, The Hierophant
holds your fate, to the secret, of the door you opened,
good or bad.

(going back to bed, this drives me crazy) LOL

TemperanceAngel

zannamarie said:
The Hierophant could be an oppressive force to you if you strongly resist the teachings of what the Hierophant represents and thus you might see it as a dictator. But I would think that would be more your reaction to the person rather than the person emanating those qualities.

Hi zannamarie, nice to meet you :)

Now I am really liking how you have phrased this. I often think the Tarot mirrors us, so therefore we must mirror the Tarot. So maybe it is I that have the dictator issues or am strongly resisting the teachings of The Hierophant and mirroring that back on him.

I will think about this some more!

TemperanceAngel

FantasyWorld said:
Looking at it makes me think he holds the key(s) to your life,future,direction.etc..in his possession.......looking at it again and again feel more and more like it's-I have power/control/will over you/your thoughts.
LOL, FantasyWorld now you are starting to sound like me!!

But those keys certainly are interesting and they have to unlock something? But at the same time, why does The Hierophant hold the keys?

Thirteen

What KIND of Dictator?

The problem is that ANYBODY can be a "dictator" over, well, something. Your boss could be a dictator, yes? The coach of a kid's soccer team could be a dictator. The lady who runs your local charity could be a dictator.

EXACTLY what do you mean by "dictator"? If you mean someone like Hitler or Stalin, then you're talking about the Emperor, because their aim is conquest and control over an "Empire."

But if you're talking about dictating what people believe, spiritual control, THEN you're talking the Hierophant. In this respect, he is like any church leader or elder who has absolute control over the church's teachings, beliefs, etc.

Depending on how much power the church has, then, yes, he could very well be a Dictator. In Utah, the Momon Church leaders have a great deal of power. But in California, they don't have much power, do they? In a Catholic country like Mexico, the Catholic church has great sway over political leaders and the people--it dictates. But in England it has no sway.

So whether the Hierophant represets a spiritual dictator, a church leader who has as much if not more power than the political leader of that country, all depends on circumstance. He can certainly be a dictator in the sense of "cult leader"--but he's unlikely to be a dictator in the sense of leading armies and conquering lands, not unless he stands for spiritual leaders in a holy war.

So keep that in mind. It's not that he stands for "dictator" but rather that he stands for a certain TYPE of dictator. There are plenty of other cards that could indicate other types of dicators--from the Emperor standing for a more Roman type dictator to the Empress--that obnoxious woman who runs the local charity like a female Hitler ;)

TemperanceAngel

Tara Deck said:
The hierophant is my personality card. What i have experienced with this card as my life teacher is a big struggle trying to fit in, this happened mostly after leaving my native country about 12 years ago. I have seen many hierophant faces, as TemperanceAngel say it could show as a dictator, someone trying to control how you should leave your life and dictating how you are going to be treated
Thanks for sharing something personal, as I know that is not always easy to do. I really appreciate it.

I think the trying to fit in really makes sense, especially when we connect this card to conforming. Or not to confirm, whatever way you choose.

Tara Deck, I can relate to what you say as although I was born in Australia my parents were immigrants and I have never felt like I belong in this country. Having been back in Australia for nearly four years now, I am fitting in more, but still don't feel like I belong here.

I have never thought of The Hierophant in this situation or representing it. Great observation!!

TemperanceAngel

I love brain storming :)

ros, sorry to drive you crazy!! Now if we lived closer we could get together and muse this over a nice cup of tea, now wouldn't that be fun :D

The keys, the past, the karma it all makes sense *groan* past go away, LOL.

It is a card that does drive one crazy, ahhhhh maybe that's why it can be linked to psychiatric issues in divinatory meanings.

Apologies for replying to everyones post, but brainstorming rocks :D

TemperanceAngel

Thirteen said:
So keep that in mind. It's not that he stands for "dictator" but rather that he stands for a certain TYPE of dictator. There are plenty of other cards that could indicate other types of dicators--from the Emperor standing for a more Roman type dictator to the Empress--that obnoxious woman who runs the local charity like a female Hitler ;)
Sage post, as always Thirteen.

So maybe the riddle is: what type of dictator (if any) is The Hierophant referring to right now?

Thirteen

A Hierophant in your head

TemperanceAngel said:
Sage post, as always Thirteen.

So maybe the riddle is: what type of dictator (if any) is The Hierophant referring to right now?
Absolutely. He could be anything from the Pope, if you are Catholic, and trying to live by dictates coming all the way down from the top (like should you use birth control or not?), to your local priest--who might be quite a dictator over his little church and congregation....

To your own spiritual conscience. Anyone with an ultra powerful super-ego that makes you follow strict ethics, morality and spiritual dictates, has a Hierophant there in their head.