Giant Rider-Waite Made in China

gregory

OK. Emailing now.

Le Fanu

I have 4 Giant Rider Waites - 1 of each printing and 1 Italy print in a Belgium box.
Goodness, you kept yours! I bought one by mistake. When I got home and realised what I had, I traded it within 48 hours. Never crossed my mind to keep it as a curio!

I'm looking forward to hearing what gregory's email elicits. The printed in China deck is a good one; nice repro, nice cardstock and - most importantly of all - the calligraphy. I never quite know what one is supposed to do with Giant RWS decks. I mean, short of giving courses, what does one do with them? I have huge hands and it would never cross my mind to shuffle them.

Freddie

I'm really not upset over this and I am making fun of myself not Mr Kaplan. I think the Giant is good for study/meditation and could be used for some spreads...shuffling...I'd just fan them. I don't want to hurt Mr. Kaplan's feelings so I just haven't responded to his second e-mail. I was only teasing about Medieval Scapini etc.. He is a nice man and our Tarot community owes him our uppermost respect, but I do wish he would pull all of the US Games Tarot deck production out of Italy.

Thanks Gregory you are a star.

Freddie

Le Fanu

I was only teasing about Medieval Scapini etc.. He is a nice man and our Tarot community owes him our uppermost respect, but I do wish he would pull all of the US Games Tarot deck production out of Italy.
You know, I personally told him this. It was when the first deck had been printed in China (was it the Brotherhood of Light reissue?), and I said please do all your decks here and stop printing decks in Italy.

gregory

Well, hello:

USG said:
Thanks for your email. The Giant Rider Waite is now only printed in China and has been for a year or two.

I hope the foregoing proves helpful.
Regards,
USGames

so, um...

????

Le Fanu

LOL. Thanks gregory. And here was me thinking rodney and I could make a million! :D

So what was all that about in response to Freddie?

gregory

I have NO idea - I mentioned it in passing when I thanked my contact....

bogiesan

You know, I personally told him this. It was when the first deck had been printed in China (was it the Brotherhood of Light reissue?), and I said please do all your decks here and stop printing decks in Italy.

I'm neither jingoistic nor xenophobic but it would be fun to see "printed in the USA" on some of Kaplan's products. Perhaps special issues or deluxe editions. I'm sure Mr Kaplan's manufacturing supervisors have looked for on-shore sources, might be worth another try. I understand from Barbara Moore's Steampunk blog entries that Llewelyn uses a printer in, IIRC, Texas.

gregory

Freddie - did KAPLAN say there were none from China ? as my USG source just emailed me back:

Who told you that? We used to print in Italy but switched over to China a year or so ago.