RWS Clones

Richard

Don't some of the Albano cards actually have different images from the RWS? I'm thinking of the rainbow above the angel's head on Temperance, for example. This would also make it less of a clone.
No, the actual drawing is identical to the Rider-Waite. There are no black outlines in the rainbow, so it is just a color variation in the sky. I think I read somewhere that an early draft of the Rider-Waite did have a rainbow in Temperance, but I could be mistaken.
ETA. P. F. Case's BOTA Tarot also has a rainbow. Albano may have gotten the idea from that, since apparently Case influenced Albano's coloring.

Attachments

• rainbow.jpg
    rainbow.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 135

bogiesan

Don't some of the Albano cards actually have different images from the RWS? I'm thinking of the rainbow above the angel's head on Temperance, for example. This would also make it less of a clone.

Frankie added an inner circle to the pentacles and three gems to all of the sword hilts. She also deliberately broke the PCS sigil. There are some other weird things that may be considered more like alterations rather than additions such, as you mention, rainbows where there are none. But if you look closely, disregarding the black lines from the lithogrpahy crayon, where Albano was cutting her own rubylith masking and dot-screens or hand-drawing some of the crosshatching for the color printing plates, you'll see lots of interesting variations. It's a great way to spend an hour or two with your cards!

Laura Borealis

Frankie added an inner circle to the pentacles and three gems to all of the sword hilts. She also deliberately broke the PCS sigil.

Frankie Albano was a she? !!

My bad for assuming. :p

rwcarter

I'm pretty sure Frankie is/was a man. I've heard reference of "his son was searching for him".

GoldenWolf

Now I want to get an Albano-Waite deck for comparison because of this thread. I thought just staying out of the enabling thread would save me. Sigh.

Just went to Taropedia to see if there was an article on Frankie Albano or the deck to see if there was any info on gender. There is no separate entry for either. The deck is listed as a RWS recoloring. Other categories are clones and derivatives.

Freddie

As far as I know the Albano-Waite is the same drawn lines as the normal Rider-Waite with only added decorative bits here and there. This deck is not unlike 'Golden Rider' ( I like this one too) as it just mainly features updated colouring.

Freddie

bogiesan

I'm pretty sure Frankie is/was a man. I've heard reference of "his son was searching for him".

No one knows; seems to be room for a new myth.

What got me thinking Albano might be woman was all of the unresolved threads relating to the search for Frankie AND I picked up an interesting collage-style book wherein the heroine, Francine, is nicknamed Frankie.

"The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt" by Caroline Preston

bogiesan

Holly's Rider-Waite site refers to Frankie as male: http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/Albano.html

Agreed but Holly readily admits the provenance is lacking, there are no attributions that can be run to ground. Holly's descriptions of the AW and the scans are illuminating but she does not include the three more obvious differences between the WS and AW: the three gems on the sword hilts, the innenr cricle on the pentacles and the deliberately broken or altered — depending on how you look at it — PCS sigil.

I love Holly's stuff, just can't figure out why she doesn't mention these things and that leads me to ponder the "Frankie was a man" assumption we all seem comfortable making.

Sure wish I'd kept my first AW pack! The reissue I picked up recently is muddy and ever so blah compared to the one I had in 1970-1972.

bogiesan

Now I want to get an Albano-Waite deck for comparison because of this thread. I thought just staying out of the enabling thread would save me. Sigh.

It's an addiction. We understand.
Got my copy of the current AW issue recently through overstock.com.
Warning repeated elsewhere in the thread: The details are a bit muddied in the present release. I hope you will not be too disappointed. Be sure to drop back by and tell us what you think of you new deck.