Evolution of the Death card

kwaw

Italian edition (2000 limited edition) of 1983, reprint of the "Jeu de la Princess Tarot" which I think was first published as illustrations in a book of fate in 1843 and made into a set cards in the latter half of the 19th century and marketed by games manufacturer and editor Charles Wattilliaux in the 1870s. According to tarotpedia the 1983 Dusserre edition is a photo-reproduction of an 1876 edition. Mark Filipas reviews the 1983 reproduction Cartomanzia Italiana Edition by Soleone here:

http://pasteboardmasquerade.com/Reviews/cartoma.html

The Dussere edition:
http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Jeu_de_la_Princesse_Tarot_(Dusserre_edition)

cerulean in another thread writes:

The first version was designed by Lorambert under the name Johannes Trismegiste and published with Jules Laisne, it first appeared in 1843 in a book called L'Art de tirer les cartes, revelations completes sur les destinees au moyen des cartes et des tarots, d'apres les methodes les plus certaines (The Art of reading the cards, complete instructions on fortune-telling by means of cards and tarots, according to the most reliable methods).. It was reprinted 1850.

The book was printed again with new titles on the cards in 1864. Card 1 was called "King Thoth," card 2 was "Anubis," and 8 "the princess Tarot." "The accompanying book"--Decker et al do not say whether it is a new book or a revision of the previous one--"describes the Princess Tarot as a great prophetess of Thebes and of Memphis" (p. 150). So this deck was called the "la princesse Tarot" deck. Production was continued by Watillaux. However the reproductions of Decker et al's plate 7 are courtesy Editions Dusserre, Paris. So perhaps Editions Dusserre continued its publication later. Watillaux was active 1874-1908.
end quote from thead here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=122602

L'Art de tirer les cartes, révélations complètes sur les destinées au moyen des cartes et des tarots... par Johannès Trismégiste...

So how does a world-renowned Tarot creator,teacher, esoteric artist and author thank us humble researchers? With one of their signed limited edition decks and/or books? :cool:

kwaw

Quote:

"I also rather like the Jeu de la Princesse, published in 1983 by Dusserre and later published, with modifications, as Esoteric Ancient Tarot by Lo Scarabeo (and erroneously described as being published in 1870 when in fact this deck was originally published in 1843). It was also published by Lo Scarabeo/Fabbri/Orbis in 2001 as the Tarot de Thot. slightly narrower cards, slightly bolder font.

"As it comes between the two others, I wonder whether this could be considered an Etteilla II? It is more explicitly Egyptian than the Lo Scarabeo Book of Thoth deck, which has more of a late 1800s Neo-Gothic atmosphere. There are so few things I can get straight in my mind regarding Etteilla decks that if I could consider these three decks to be representative of the three patterns, then I could set about comparing them on my own terms. I have a hunch though that the Jeu de la Princesse is perhaps an Etteilla III. There is also a peculiar curio published by Solleone in 1983 in a limited edition of 2,000 copies called Cartomanzia Italiana which has the Jeu de la Princesse Minors and, weirdly, the Gumppenberg/Soprafino Trumps.*

end quote:

http://mycuriouscabinet.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/the-mysterious-etteillas/

(There is a picture of the two of the decks, one with Death showing: about half-way down the page.)

* It would be more accurate to say a mix of Gumppenberg/Soprafino and Jeu de la Princesse trumps re-numbered to fit the TdM pattern.

Note in the lo scarabeo, which is based on the Dussere photo reproductions death is numbered 17 as in Etteilla, whereas it is 13 in the Sollomeo hybrid.

EsotericAncient17.jpg
CartomanziaItalina13.jpg

Also it is not clear the color is meant to be black - in other Etteilla it is red or brown, here more a blueish grey?But perhaps it is close enough for your purposes . . . also unlike the black-robed reaper we are familiar with it is holding the emblem for 'time flies' (which we find on the hermit/time/old man cards in other decks).

The Dussere or Scarabeo (based on the Dussere) is probably a better indication of the original colouring.

Sidhe-Ra

You're all brilliant, what fascinating stuff!

It seems to be one of those things that you take for granted until you really look at it. I'll post some extracts from the essay when I've finished so you can see in context why I was intrigued by this- though it is a bit of a tangent from the main point I'm making, I find it quite fascinating!

Thank you all so much :)

Kwaw- you are cheeky :) I thanks you with an equally cheeky grin and a virtual smooch on the cheek- MWAH x

Cerulean

The 1845 book title page and La Morte image in black reverse

See images. The 1845 book printed the images as black on white, so the silhouette of the Jeu des Princesse (Etteilla IV) is outlined as shadowy figures...hope that is helpful. My copy is 1845 and the picture that I posted of La Morte explains what the authors DDD of History of the Occult Tarot mean by printing figures in reverse.

It is odd the silhouettes seem set as early as 1845.

My text copy further has an owners bookplate of the family crest F. G. Irwin (of the Golden Dawn?) and a bookseller pencil note 1867..although the printing of my book is 1845 with beautiful line engravings throughout, even for a smal book.

I also use the Lo Scarabeo Esoteric Ancient Tarot when I want to see look of the Etteilla IV....the Lo Scarabeo cards follow the coloring/line engraving of a circa 1870 Jeu des Princesse reproduction.

Cerulean

The first version was designed by Lorambert under the name Johannes Trismegiste and published with Jules Laisne, it first appeared in 1843 in a book called L'Art de tirer les cartes, revelations completes sur les destinees au moyen des cartes et des tarots, d'apres les methodes les plus certaines (The Art of reading the cards, complete instructions on fortune-telling by means of cards and tarots, according to the most reliable methods).. It was reprinted 1850.

The book was printed again with new titles on the cards in 1864. Card 1 was called "King Thoth," card 2 was "Anubis," and 8 "the princess Tarot." "The accompanying book"--Decker et al do not say whether it is a new book or a revision of the previous one--"describes the Princess Tarot as a great prophetess of Thebes and of Memphis" (p. 150). So this deck was called the "la princesse Tarot" deck. Production was continued by Watillaux. However the reproductions of Decker et al's plate 7 are courtesy Editions Dusserre, Paris. So perhaps Editions Dusserre continued its publication later. Watillaux was active 1874-1908.
end quote from thead here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=122602

L'Art de tirer les cartes, révélations complètes sur les destinées au moyen des cartes et des tarots... par Johannès Trismégiste...

So how does a world-renowned Tarot creator,teacher, esoteric artist and author thank us humble researchers? With one of their signed limited edition decks and/or books? :cool:[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• IMG_20111124_205249.jpg
    IMG_20111124_205249.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 477
  • lamorte.jpg
    lamorte.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 418

PathWalker

What does Death hold?

Reviving this thread about Death to ask about the implement he holds.

In the Cary Yale Visconti I see the scythe - and many other packs have followed with that.

But the Dal Negro Visconti shows him holding something that seems different, and I can't make out what it is? Is it meant to be the long handle of a scythe, but without an obvious blade? Or something else?

I'll keep pondering this, but if anyone already knows - from sources I haven't found yet - I'd be glad to know.

Thanks
Pathwalker

ETA - Ah, I'm finding references in other old threads about bows - which is what the curved article struck me as looking like, although there are no arrows to be seen, and I thought I might be imagining things.
Perhaps is a bow.

gregory

I think it's a bow (as in bow and arrow). You can even see the cord.

PathWalker

My editing crossed in cyberspace with your answer -t hank you :)
I thought that was what it looked like, but didn't trust my instincts. It's the only older deck I have which shows anything other than a scythe.

gregory

My editing crossed in cyberspace with your answer -t hank you :)
I thought that was what it looked like, but didn't trust my instincts. It's the only older deck I have which shows anything other than a scythe.
Any time ! But I also have some with hourglasses - I THINK... (away from them all just now.)