The Behenian Fixed Stars

Scion

Round two...

I just did this as literally as possible, forgoing the throne=ecliptic and trying to use perceived logic of the images of card and star images... which is bound to be indiosyncratic. I haven't tried laying the cards out on a celestial map, and I havent charted the way these cards would fall (as Rosanne's bee dome did so beautifully... I just haven't sussed how to do it properly with the tools I have available.

I also swapped a few "obvious" things to see how the shifts worked. In this one Jupiter isn't Emperor and Venus isn't Lovers, but I still think it's fairly literal. Alternatrely I felt like I could have made IIII Jupiter and III Venus as Bountiful consorts, with Spica-or-Pleiades serving as the Star-or-Papess... I've gone round and round on that one. :bugeyed: Another problem is that the asterisms of Aquarius works so well as the Star (cf Rodes-Sanchez), but it's adamantly not in the Behenians.

That said, a strange pattern appeared as I played with this draft, artificially or not, as the 4 royal stars started to line up with the virtues. :thumbsup: I like the symmetry of that, but since Fomalhaut is not a Behenian, I’m stymied… Do I leave Aldebaran with the World (as Bob Place’s theoretical Prudence) or to Temperance? Tricky… The logical thing seems Temperance since Prudence is the invisible virtue in the Majors, but then what the hell matches to The World if it isn’t bountiful Aldebaran? Do we get all Golden Dawn and use Saturn as the “End” of the Trumps? I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on this…

Here's where I wish Chris Warnock would pop in to talk about Renaissance astrological magick. Or any other hardcore classical astrology types.

Anyways, as before hack-n-slash is welcome for all and sundry, especially if it relates to the iconography or the actual identification/location of these heavenly bodies, and doesn't cite Atlantis or alien masters. :smoker:

There is something in all this, and the more I foodle with the associations the more they reveal the edges of some type of sense.

Scion

Attachments

• Behenian Stars - Literal model.pdf
    119.8 KB · Views: 361

kwaw

Thanks scion

Not time to look properly at moment as have guests but quick look very interesting, thanks for the work take a good look later. Re:four stars I am thinking of Tail of the Goat(fish) in place of formalhaut and connected with Aquarius Star.

Kwaw

Rosanne

That is a lot of work Scion! Thank you -I have printed it off and will think about it and come back to/at you with my ziggarut plan as well. :D ~Rosanne

Rosanne

While I was trying to find something to do with this and cards I came across this early deck- that appears to use the these Stars.
http://www.wopc.co.uk/germany/murner.html
Not quite but I can see how it came about. ~Rosanne

Scion

Rosanne said:
While I was trying to find something to do with this and cards I came across this early deck- that appears to use the these Stars.
http://www.wopc.co.uk/germany/murner.html
Not quite but I can see how it came about. ~Rosanne
Cool Rosanne! I had forgotten about this deck. And Diane O'Donovan is Daana Mindon's other nom de plume, so she's a familiar figure in the cards-to-stars tango... :) Let me see if there's anything I can cull from her ideas on a Sunday morning.

X

S

Rosanne

Well here I go with these Behenian Stars.
I am taking them grouped as if on the Astrolabe that Kwaw used originally. They are also grouped into shapes on the Tower of stars devised, and in order on the list in Wikipedia and elsewhere; pictorially they follow the nine broad constellation areas as defined by Agrippa (somewhat Zodiacal). I must at this point say I quite like Le Maison Dieu/Tower at Sirius- but as I cannot rationalize my reasoning I will put Le Fou there, when I think he should be a Planet. Confused? At times so am I. I was not also keen for La Papesse to be Pleiades, as her station seems to be a Planet- so that is where I have put her.
PLANETS
Mercury.....Le Bateleur 1
Venus........L'Imperatrice 111
Mars..........L'Empereur 1V
Saturn........La Papesse 11
Jupiter........l'Ermite 1X
Moon..........La Lune XV111
Sun............Le Soleil X1X
My made up names of Groupings
THE SQUARE OF AGOL
Algol.......La Mort/Death X111
Pleiades...Temperance X1V
Aldebaran..Le Pape V
Capella......Le Char/Chariot V11

Sirius........Le Fou 0

TRIANGLE OF POWER
Procyon.......Les Amants/Lovers V1
Regulus........Le Monde/World XX1
Alkaid/Polaris?..... La Rou X

TRIANGLE OF STRENGTH
Ala Corvi/Gienah.....La Tour/Tower XV1
Arcturus.......La Force/Strength X1
Spica..... Les Etoiles/Star XV11

TRIANGLE OF SACRIFICE
Alphecca.......Le Judgement XX
Antares.........La Justice V111
Vega.............La Pendu/Hanged Man X11

Deneb Algedi.... Le Daible/Devil XV (Whose little critters are on a rope like the fish of Pisces) and somewhat close to Gemini, another set of pairings.

To see these groupings, it is interesting to note when the planet comes with in 6 degrees what visually shows up. For example Mars (The Emperor)is the planet for Aldebaran- Le Pape/Pope. Another aspect is the Gemstone; For Regulus is Granite, in my list is the World, and the plant Mugwort 'preserveth the Wayfarer' and was worn as a waistlet (in legend by St John the Baptist) to keep one safe from harm.
Hope you like my list- there are some interesting associations for example I have used Alkaid for The Wheel of Fortune The destroyer of Nations; looks down on the fall of Princes and the overthrow of Empires Very WOF.Add what ever you like to this- I may be quite wacky in some things- but look visually at the cards of TdM- especially the important constellations of Gemini. ~Rosanne

Attachments

• BehenianDoodle.jpg
    BehenianDoodle.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 290

Rosanne

here is a visual of the Stars and Planets crammed up to fit A4. The planets as listed above are nearest the Stars they influence. It is as if starting at Sirius you were standing in the East facing West. Best I can do with out thumbnail TdM's- hope it makes some sense. ~Rosanne

Attachments

• CrammedBehenian.jpg
    CrammedBehenian.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 295

Rosanne

The Triangle of Sacrifice (My name not Historical)
Alphecca- Antares- Vega
Le Judgement- La Justice- La Pendu
Planet on the ecliptic of the Zodiac is Antares so it gets it's main Strength from Jupiter.
The Jupiter personality is Jupiter Lucetius (Of the Light) He is in charge of Cosmic Justice. In Roman times you swore to Jove in Court meaning you were speaking 'of the Father' and we get the saying 'By Jove'
These three Stars span the ancient constellations of Libra and Scorpio.
Antares in Lore demands we take a stand for our Truth- so as a Royal Star I give the star to Justice, the Watcher in the West- one of the four pillars that hold up the sky. The angel concerned is Oriel whose name means to 'Hold'.
Vega is interesting:An esoteric point of interest is Vega's relationship to the star Sirius. When Vega is directly overhead at the Zenith (about 3 hours after an August sunset) Sirius, the God Star and the brightest star, is under our feet. From our head to our toes we are heavenly stimulated in Leo. Another Vega connection to Sirius lies in the Japanese myth. A peasant boy, the star Altair, is allowed to cross the River of Heaven (Milky Way) to unite with the princess and his lover, the star Vega. When does this occur? ... on the seventh day of the seventh month. This is the time when our physical Sun is conjunct our spiritual Sun, Sirius. During this time many celebrate freedom and liberation. If you look at the astrolabe you will see that Vega is directly above Sirius. If you look at the shape point to point of where Vega is in Lyre you will see it does not look like a lyre, but a hanging object and it was known to be a falling object or swooping bird.
Alphecca is sometimes known as the Wreath and is known to promote music or sound through air.According to Wirth Judgement is 'Redemptive breath' There are strong associations with Judgement and a Crown as its name of Corona Borealis suggests.
Antares also forms what I call the low triangle of Antares-Deneb- Sirius
Justice/ Devil/Fool. ~Rosanne

Attachments

• Triangle of Just sacrifice.jpg
    Triangle of Just sacrifice.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 320

Scion

Wow!

This is breathtaking stuff, Rosanne. Really lovely to think about. I'm gonna need to go chew on these and see what pops out.

One question, what happened to your idea of 7 pairs associated with planets? Did it just not come together in practice or is that a dfifferent model you're gonna post? :)

Really looking forward to playing compare/contrast with this setup...

Scion